OFFICIAL Walsh signs with the Broncos until 2025

Re the warriors v dolphins feud - apparently the dolphins have signed Bailey Sironen and Wayde Egan for next year on top of Eaun Aitken so they are unhappy about that

Re the warriors v dolphins feud - apparently the dolphins have signed Bailey Sironen and Wayde Egan for next year on top of Eaun Aitken so they are unhappy about that
HaHaHa - Imagine losing the ability to try and sign Reece Walsh for Wayde Egan and Bailey fucking Sironen. I hope for Redcliffe's sake some of these forwards are hiding some amazing fullback skills.

Let be real here...we don't currently have ANY fullbacks.

Cobbo might become a fullback
Herbie might become a fullback
Mead is a winger and not far from retirement
Niu might become a fullback, he has had half a good game for us, then got injured.
TMM is the pick of the lot, has done an admirable job, but is a 5/8 and is not currently signed for next year.

Personally, I'd be fine with TMM staying longer term as FB and then slugging it out with Cobbo or Herbie for FB or moving into the halves when Reynolds is injured/retires or Mam needs a break.
We don't have one today, but - without Walsh - by the end of the preseason we would've had a choice of Niu, Cobbo, Martin or Farnworth.

Martin
Pros: excellent defence, excellent game awareness, excellent passing game, great at chiming into the back line, fairly safe under the high ball.
Cons: not great at kick returns. short, and short of elite. quiet. organizing skills unknown, misses NZ.

Cobbo
Pros: already reeks of elite, exciting kick returns, tall, competitive under the high ball, prolific try scorer.
Cons: poor goal line defence, lacking positional awareness, prone to the fumbles, quiet, not an organizer.

Farnworth
Pros: safest hands in the team, excellent defence, tall, strong, competitive under the high ball, exciting kick returns, fearless, excellent goal kicker. mature.
Cons: untested - can't rate his game awareness. quiet. not an organizer. poor passing game. general reticence to involve others in his plays. mature.

Niu
Pros: electric turn of pace, evasive, chimes into the backline seamlessly, good passing game, strong.
Cons: reticent and uncompetitive under the high ball, low game awareness, poor defence. possibly lazy.

Walsh
Pros: already an elite fullback, chatty, superb game awareness, strong organizer, safe under the high ball, niggly, good goalkicker, energetic, passionate.
Cons: weak defence.

HaHaHa - Imagine losing the ability to try and sign Reece Walsh for Wayde Egan and Bailey fucking Sironen. I hope for Redcliffe's sake some of these forwards are hiding some amazing fullback skills.
Whilst it’s tempting to laugh at Redcliffe, the reality is it’s not boding well for the NRL and the game overall that the club is struggling on the recruitment front.

They are a filthy rich, hugely storied club in absolute Rugby League heartland. They have one of the very best talent drawing Coaches in the game currently, and they are STILL struggling to kick any major recruitment goals.

If Redcliffe, even with all that in their favour, is struggling as an expansion club, then honestly what hope in hell does the likes of Perth or another New Zealand side have of ever getting off the ground.

I know it’s going to be a bitter pill to swallow for some, but this is a textbook example of why we simply have to move to a draft model within the next few years.

17 teams needs to become 18 to really make expansion worthwhile for the tv networks with an extra game, but there is absolutely no way we can even contemplate this unless we implement a proper draft system first.

The NRL is probably going to get lucky by the skin of its teeth that Redcliffe have enough cash and location advantages up their sleeve that they’ll be able to survive and get up and rube viable, but there is literally no other expansion option on the table that has even the faintest chance of success without it.

Ha ha ha. People, I don't think we are signing him on "unders". We are signing him on the value that he is to the team....much like the Storm signed Pappy on the value that he adds to their team, you know, -that he is happy to stay and play for less with his mates in Melboune...

Schitts Creek Reaction GIF by CBC

Whilst it’s tempting to laugh at Redcliffe, the reality is it’s not boding well for the NRL and the game overall that the club is struggling on the recruitment front.

They are a filthy rich, hugely storied club in absolute Rugby League heartland. They have one of the very best talent drawing Coaches in the game currently, and they are STILL struggling to kick any major recruitment goals.
Because we never wanted or needed another Brisbane team. If the team had a Polynesian identity, and been based anywhere - Logan, Sunshine Coast, Coffs Harbour, you name it - it would've had a 20,000 league conga line backed up around the Coral Sea, and every other team would be shitting its pants.

We don't have one today, but - without Walsh - by the end of the preseason we would've had a choice of Niu, Cobbo, Martin or Farnworth.

Martin
Pros: excellent defence, excellent game awareness, excellent passing game, great at chiming into the back line, fairly safe under the high ball.
Cons: not great at kick returns. short, and short of elite. quiet. organizing skills unknown, misses NZ.

Cobbo
Pros: already reeks of elite, exciting kick returns, tall, competitive under the high ball, prolific try scorer.
Cons: poor goal line defence, lacking positional awareness, prone to the fumbles, quiet, not an organizer.

Farnworth
Pros: safest hands in the team, excellent defence, tall, strong, competitive under the high ball, exciting kick returns, fearless, excellent goal kicker. mature.
Cons: untested - can't rate his game awareness. quiet. not an organizer. poor passing game. general reticence to involve others in his plays. mature.

Niu
Pros: electric turn of pace, evasive, chimes into the backline seamlessly, good passing game, strong.
Cons: reticent and uncompetitive under the high ball, low game awareness, poor defence. possibly lazy.

Walsh
Pros: already an elite fullback, chatty, superb game awareness, strong organizer, safe under the high ball, niggly, good goalkicker, energetic, passionate.
Cons: weak defence.
Re Martin, You can't have excellent defensive skills at FB without having good communication skills. He is by far the best communicator of the lot.

None of the others apart from Welsh have shown anything other than glimpses, do we really want to go into another season with inexperienced 5/8, FB and Hooker.

Note, in my previous post, i didn't mention Walsh, i wouldn't mind picking him up but also not against TMM staying on.

One of the 2 would be fine for next year. I think we would be silly going into next year banking on Niu, Cobbo or Herbie as anything other than a backup at FB when we have a chance at retaining TMM or getting Walsh. In a few years, that may change.

Circumstances change. Didn't Kotoni sign on with the premise that he got a shot at five eighth?
They do change and things can happen quickly sometimes. Just for arguments sake, if Herbie asks for a release because we promised him a shot at fullback, then we go and sign a fullback is it right we refuse him a release? Its not like we are going to be investing in Walsh to play anywhere else but 1.

Regardless of where Walsh plays or who else we have potentially lined up for positions, there is a massive lack of young, talented spine players in the competition and having another one back in our system bodes extremely well for our team moving forward.

Alot of us were very critical when we let Walsh go, others firmly believed it was the right call... No matter which side you fell on, now having a key spine player of his age with his potential back in the team for a reasonable price is good news for everyone.

DD and Ikin wouldn't have pursued this without giving consideration to and dialoguing with both Cobbo and Farnworth about plans moving forward - they know what they are doing and will do the right thing.

Re Martin, You can't have excellent defensive skills at FB without having good communication skills. He is by far the best communicator of the lot.

None of the others apart from Welsh have shown anything other than glimpses, do we really want to go into another season with inexperienced 5/8, FB and Hooker.

Note, in my previous post, i didn't mention Walsh, i wouldn't mind picking him up but also not against TMM staying on.

One of the 2 would be fine for next year. I think we would be silly going into next year banking on Niu, Cobbo or Herbie as anything other than a backup at FB when we have a chance at retaining TMM or getting Walsh. In a few years, that may change.
I think that's it. You can almost bet on losing your fullback to injury every year, so it certainly doesn't hurt to have at least one backup. And then there's the situation we're in now with 3 fullbacks injured (Niu, TMM, Farnworth), 1 away at Origin camp and another (Mead) apparently out to pasture.

I could definitely see Walsh at 6, but that will depend on him honing his kicking game. I couldn't see Selwyn, Herbie or Tesi in any other position but outside backs.

Selwyn is definitely better with room to move. He should be our fullback, but he's further from ready than most commentators seem to think.

In the meantime we should probably switch Herbie and Selwyn, but that would almost certainly send Herbie to the Dolphins in 2024. Which wouldn't be ideal.

Injuries might dictate what happens back there next year.

If Redcliffe, even with all that in their favour, is struggling as an expansion club, then honestly what hope in hell does the likes of Perth or another New Zealand side have of ever getting off the ground.

I know it’s going to be a bitter pill to swallow for some, but this is a textbook example of why we simply have to move to a draft model within the next few years.

17 teams needs to become 18 to really make expansion worthwhile for the tv networks with an extra game, but there is absolutely no way we can even contemplate this unless we implement a proper draft system first.

The NRL is probably going to get lucky by the skin of its teeth that Redcliffe have enough cash and location advantages up their sleeve that they’ll be able to survive and get up and rube viable, but there is literally no other expansion option on the table that has even the faintest chance of success without it.
It's funny because most people with a brain didn't want expansion and knew it was a massive chance of failing because the depth of talent isn't there. It was plain to see when as soon as most clubs lost a key piece from their top 17 their season was derailed because the quality isn't there to come in. I mean some teams can't even compete with their top 17. Where were these players going to appear from?

They only people that wanted this were Redcliffe fans, Peter Vlandys and the people in the media that can't stop choking on Vlandys ****.

Why can't we just leave Herbie in the centres.......?

Cobbo stays on the wing......

Excited about Walsh coming back......
Happy Little Girl GIF by Demic

Mainly because he's made it clear he doesnt want to stay there, and if he does he wants to play right side.

It's good to see he isn't chasing the money. He could get a lot more than just above $400,000 anywhere else. You could see some bottom of the ladder club giving him closer to a million. Could be a sign that he has changed for the better and is maturing.
Been there - done that.

DD and Ikin wouldn't have pursued this without giving consideration to and dialoguing with both Cobbo and Farnworth about plans moving forward - they know what they are doing and will do the right thing.
I wouldn't be too confident on that one. At all.

Its only really a fullback and a half they are struggling with. Considering the players available and the short time they had to start recruiting i think they have a decent squad already. As i said elsewhere, its seems the media and people looking from the outside in are the ones obsessed with them getting this " marquee " signing. The Dolphins arent because they know how the market is.

It's funny because most people with a brain didn't want expansion and knew it was a massive chance of failing because the depth of talent isn't there. It was plain to see when as soon as most clubs lost a key piece from their top 17 their season was derailed because the quality isn't there to come in. I mean some teams can't even compete with their top 17. Where were these players going to appear from?

They only people that wanted this were Redcliffe fans, Peter Vlandys and the people in the media that can't stop choking on Vlandys ****.
That's not entirely true. Redcliffe were only one of three potential Brisbane teams. The NRL and the broadcast networks equally pushed the proposition of a second Brisbane team, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the push started long before V'Landys. But he certainly pushed it forward with a deadline, so should take a large part of the credit/blame.

I believe there is the talent for more teams, but it's rare for a new team to hit the ground running. The Broncos had a star-studded lineup from the first game and we certainly didn't. The Cowboys were a basket case for years. The only exception was the Storm, and that's at least partly because they were an offshoot of the massively successful Broncos, complete with all the dirty tricks in our hide-the-cash playbook.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Fitzy
  • Allo
  • bert_lifts
  • Lostboy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.