OFFICIAL Walsh signs with the Broncos until 2025

Ha ha ha. People, I don't think we are signing him on "unders". We are signing him on the value that he is to the team....much like the Storm signed Pappy on the value that he adds to their team, you know, -that he is happy to stay and play for less with his mates in Melboune...

Schitts Creek Reaction GIF by CBC
That and he literally cannot be paid more than his current deal until it expires under the terms for releases like these.

Regardless of where Walsh plays or who else we have potentially lined up for positions, there is a massive lack of young, talented spine players in the competition and having another one back in our system bodes extremely well for our team moving forward.

Alot of us were very critical when we let Walsh go, others firmly believed it was the right call... No matter which side you fell on, now having a key spine player of his age with his potential back in the team for a reasonable price is good news for everyone.

DD and Ikin wouldn't have pursued this without giving consideration to and dialoguing with both Cobbo and Farnworth about plans moving forward - they know what they are doing and will do the right thing.

Cobbo maybe, this would have presented itself after we signed Herbie, which is why i think he will be the one who will move on if somebody offers him a chance to play 1.

man, not totally sold out.
Like others, still think it would be a massive big di$# move by Bennett to close on Walsh and throw the media a curveball.
Would rather Walsh's speed and swerve than Ponga's step. But would rather Cobbo's tackle break and power than Walsh. :)
Im not anti-dolphins like a lot on here, so would love for them to get a big name also.

Walsh is a better passer than both .
KP is good , Walsh is better at putting other players away from what I have seen .
He's not ready to play 6 for us over a full season over somebody like Kelly or Gamble if they are fit. The experience he is getting is valuable but he's still got a long way to go with a lot of things in his game. At the moment, we dont have the team to carry Mam for a whole year.

I think he grows week to week .
The other night he did some reckless stuff . I doubt he will do that again for a while .

Where do you rate Albert or Tyson over Ezra ? Defence ? Attack ? I think he has the other boys covered .
Unless Ezra plays a cpl of shockers in a row ,I don`t see either Albert or Tyson pushing him out now .
So are most his age. Generational problem; impatient and not willing to wait is best way to describe them

You know why ?
Because the Gen Xers got the you have to wait treatment from their Baby Boomer parents and said I`m gonna do it different .Then gave the kids what they wanted ASAP to stop the whinging .

Alot of us were very critical when we let Walsh go, others firmly believed it was the right call... No matter which side you fell on, now having a key spine player of his age with his potential back in the team for a reasonable price is good news for everyone.

A part of me feels like when we let him go that a lot of people were hoping like hell his upward trajectory would come crashing down as it absolutely sucked watching him carve up for another team knowing we had him contracted and simply released him, for nothing in return.

However now it's being said that he is reportedly "set to" return to Brisbane, I have no doubt a few on here have conflicted views.

Old Wayne isn’t happy.
He has phoned the NRL as to why he can only talk to Brisbane.

It's pretty obvious, the Dolphins have literally nothing to offer NZ, actually nothing.

They can give Reece a boat, a penthouse, 10 million dollars, whatever they want. None of these things do anything for the Warriors.

There are multiple avenues we can down in regards to player swaps.

If Herbie could be convinced to stay at centre, and we could ship him out without paying any portion of his contract, I'd prefer we move Staggs on. That gives us Walsh at the back, Cobbo and Herbie in the centres, and Mam at six while we still have Reyno. It's hard to plan any further than that at this stage, but Walsh to the halves seems a fair option.

We have Niu lining up in the one this week. Martin, while he's been great, has recently shown some deficiencies at the back and is no guarantee to be here next year. Neither Farnworth or Cobbo are proven fullbacks. Regardless of the club's thoughts or plans before this, I think Walsh becoming an option is way too good of an opportunity to pass up, and you just make it work with the other pieces you have. The truth doesn't seem that hard to me.
Look after next year shit might turn to shit. But give us another pre season a fit side could go a long way with this roster.

They do change and things can happen quickly sometimes. Just for arguments sake, if Herbie asks for a release because we promised him a shot at fullback, then we go and sign a fullback is it right we refuse him a release? Its not like we are going to be investing in Walsh to play anywhere else but 1.
Look sure, if you want any credibility in your dealings with players moving forward, then yes you have to stick to your word. But I guess if the powers that be show him that we get stronger and closer to a premiership with him at centre and Walsh at 1, everyone wins.

Cobbo maybe, this would have presented itself after we signed Herbie, which is why i think he will be the one who will move on if somebody offers him a chance to play 1.

I agree it's the most likely loss, but it all depends on how seriously Herbie wants to play 1.

Sure, he's mentioned it in one interview, but he's happily played wing / centre his whole time at the Broncos. Even last year when we had almost no fullback options he wasn't causing a fuss / knocking down the door for a fullback spot. Maybe he's just saying it in the hopes that if he goes to Dolphins next year, he can get fullback money instead of centre / winger money.

There's been plenty of players who have wanted to play fullback that have then have quickly abandoned that and ended up playing their original position... Cotric and JAC immediately come to mind. Personally, I think if Herbie wanted fullback badly enough / had the ability to play fullback then we would have seen it by now. I think at the end of the day, being an elite centre in a winning team on good money could be enough for him to stay put in Brisbane even without the 1 jersey.

Not sure if this has already been posted, but seems like it's all to do with him staying close to his kid (why the Warriors are letting him go). And he wanted to go to the Broncos.

Warriors head of football Craig Hodges, however, confirmed to NewsCorp Walsh will would link up with the Broncos.

“Reece came to us about a month ago and said he couldn’t commit to coming back to New Zealand,” Hodges said.

“Reece has had a relationship breakdown and he has a young daughter and he said he simply couldn’t be away from her in another country.

“We totally understood that so we said what do you want to do and he said, ‘I would like to go to the Broncos’.

“On that basis, we said OK you can negotiate only with the Broncos, we didn’t want to turn it into a circus with Reece talking with all sorts of clubs and ending up going to a Sydney team.”

Not sure if this has already been posted, but seems like it's all to do with him staying close to his kid (why the Warriors are letting him go). And he wanted to go to the Broncos.

Warriors head of football Craig Hodges, however, confirmed to NewsCorp Walsh will would link up with the Broncos.

“Reece came to us about a month ago and said he couldn’t commit to coming back to New Zealand,” Hodges said.

“Reece has had a relationship breakdown and he has a young daughter and he said he simply couldn’t be away from her in another country.

“We totally understood that so we said what do you want to do and he said, ‘I would like to go to the Broncos’.

“On that basis, we said OK you can negotiate only with the Broncos, we didn’t want to turn it into a circus with Reece talking with all sorts of clubs and ending up going to a Sydney team.”

You love to see him saying that he wants to go to the Broncos because for a while there, nobody wanted to go to the Broncos.

Where do you rate Albert or Tyson over Ezra ? Defence ? Attack ? I think he has the other boys covered .
Unless Ezra plays a cpl of shockers in a row ,I don`t see either Albert or Tyson pushing him out now .

I think they all have their strengths and weaknesses. At the moment i feel Gamble probable is capable of taking more pressure off Reynolds. I dont necessarily think one is better than the other with Mam or Gamble. My own personal opinion on players development is the younger guys dont have to be rushed and it doesnt hurt them to have a break from the grind of the NRL.

Kevvie, DD and Ikin followed the sentiment that f you love someone, set them free. If they come back they're yours... Looks like it worked a treat!
DD & Ikin werent apart of the club when that happened.

I'm not sure about "unders." I'm a little bit leery of the idea we might be underpaying our staff, especially if they wind up feeling that way. Whether we are or not, that's another subject.

But bringing Walsh back in an NRL-ready state, without having to break the bank undoes one of only two cockups - in my mind - under Kevvie's tenure. The other is hiring his son, which as yet doesn't look like a cockup, and it's keeping the pair of them happy.

I don’t disagree with the sentiment but we there are differences to Haas. Walsh is a Qlder, he clearly loves the Broncos and has family here. Like Haas though, as good as he is and will be, with Cobbo and Farnworth and other kids no doubt coming through, we don’t need to be held to ransom.

I like this, the kid has everything he needs with ball in hand to become top level. The good news is defence can be taught and professional players can develop organisational skills. So the upside of Walsh is he is game ready.

Cobbo has said in the past he is happy anywhere in the back five and actually said he was a centre. Nothing wrong with being the next Hodgo , who was also possibly an elite level fullback. Some guys just don't want that pressure. It takes a toll also on the body, one could argue playing fullback caught up with a body as big as Inglis.

Herbie is unproven at the back and his ability to kick and pass is unproven. If he wants to walk he can. Hopefully he puts the team first.

If we do land him and this is not bs it goes to show the club has come a long way and there is a lot to look forward to.

I wonder how much Walsh seeing Cobbo running around in a Qld gernsey had to do with him realising the Warriors move was a major balls up. i know his personal family situation is being touted as the major cause, but I think Cobbo's success has given him food for thought.

When all is said and done, I'm more than happy to see him back in Broncos colours.

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • KateBroncos1812
  • azza.79
  • Footy Fanatic
  • maddo
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Broncorob
  • johnny plath
  • mitch222
  • Robboi_321
  • Organix
  • FACTHUNT
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.