OFFICIAL Walsh signs with the Broncos until 2025

No way !
Tesi shouldn`t even be in the top 30 according to the gurus on this board .

I am optimistic if he can get through WC and pre season fit and ready he will be valuable to the Broncos . He has attributes not many players have .

Very valuable back up if Walsh gets injured, sure.

No way !
Tesi shouldn`t even be in the top 30 according to the gurus on this board .

I am optimistic if he can get through WC and pre season fit and ready he will be valuable to the Broncos . He has attributes not many players have .
Yeah he shouldn’t be in the top 30.

from our current top 30.

Herbie should be first drop
Cobbo should be second drop
Tesi should be 3rd drop

OK , so reshuffle the back line ?
Break up the defensive combinations so Herbie who is unproven can play out of position .
Selwyn is not reliable off the ground in the wet .

Then who replaces Selwyn on the right wing or Herbies left side centre spot ?
It gets complicated .

I don't see how anyone can look at Selwyn's time (very short I know) at fullback in first grade (not including Q Cup) and think he is better currently than Tesi. Both of them have major defensive deficiencies when playing there and it is interesting that despite being very close in age, according to many Tesi is never going to make it but Selwyn gets a free pass with time on his side.

I don't see how anyone can look at Selwyn's time (very short I know) at fullback in first grade (not including Q Cup) and think he is better currently than Tesi. Both of them have major defensive deficiencies when playing there and it is interesting that despite being very close in age, according to many Tesi is never going to make it but Selwyn gets a free pass with time on his side.
Fair point, and I agree about Selwyn's defence. It needs a lot of work, and he is liable to hurt himself if he doesn't adjust some of his technique, but the less I give my opinion on that the less shit I will cop for it. This is the first time I've seen anyone else comment on it.

The big difference between them is Selwyn has no fear - which again will get him hurt - but it means he will invariably win the contest for the high ball, as long as he doesn't cough it up.

Selwyn oozes talent but he's still a big bumbling kid who slips over and fumbles the ball too much. I reckon he'll grow into his body this year.

Tesi, I just don't know. If he can't win the contest for the high ball, he's useless at fullback. And that's without mentioning anything else.

Herbie could probably do the job. He's safe under the high ball. He returns the ball hard. His defence is generally excellent. But when I compare him to the really great fullbacks, he lacks that x-factor that sets them apart. I reckon Selwyn has that x-factor.

Break up the defensive combinations so Herbie who is unproven can play out of position .

It gets complicated .
Mariner.

It gets complicated .
That’s what most clubs do. Tedesco goes down, Joey Manu moves to fb. Turbo goes down, Garrick moves to fb and so on.

That’s what most clubs do. Tedesco goes down, Joey Manu moves to fb. Turbo goes down, Garrick moves to fb and so on.

Yeah , ,, but Herbie is not Joey Manu ,
Hasn`t played FB since he was a teenager . I will wait till the trials are over then make a call .

Selwyn has been mostly awful at fullback in the NRL, no arguments there. I thought he had his best crack at fullback in his most recent stint there but was still really poor in the fundamentals of the role.

If we had a game tomorrow and I had to pick 1 of either Cobbo or Tesi, it is honestly a very hard decision. If Cobbo trained full time at fullback and had 40 games there like Tesi I think Selwyn would be better than he is.

At least Cobbo had form in Q Cup which Tesi never has.

Walsh:

“I’ve always loved the Broncos. It feels like home again."​
“I wouldn’t say it’s pressure in my eyes. Wearing the Broncos jumper again … it’s a good opportunity to test myself and I can’t wait for what lies ahead. My first year in the NRL at the Warriors was pretty awesome, I didn’t think I would have that much of an impact. But this year I learnt the NRL is hard and it can get harder as you play more games. A lot of teams strategised around me and had game plans to shut me down."​
“I probably didn’t have as many flashy moments this year, but I believe I improved. My effort areas were better and it was a good growth year for myself. I have worked hard on the professional side of the game and I definitely think I’m coming back to the Broncos as a mentally stronger player.”​
“I’m not complacent at all. There is a massive battle here for the fullback spot, 100 per cent. There’s Tesi here and Herbie wants a crack at fullback as well. Coming back to the club, it excited me to get that fullback spot, but I know I have healthy competition and that’s a good thing."​
“’Kevvie’ hasn’t given me any guarantees at all. He has said will go with the best option at fullback so the pressure is on me to make sure I’m that bloke and I’ll be working hard towards that.”​
“(Getting busted for drugs) was a huge learning curve, a massive wake-up call. It was something I look back on and I took a lot of learnings from that. It’s easy to get raked into stuff like that and when you have a period off in the off-season, a stupid decision like that can affect you long term. I have the learnings now, I’ve made better choices and I won’t be making that mistake again."​
“However long I go in my career, I want to give some younger players some good advice. If anyone else ever goes through that, I feel I’m a shoulder someone can lean on because I have that life experience. I hope I can talk to other guys coming through and help them avoid those bad habits.”​
“I’m not at all cocky. I consider myself a normal person and I know my family don’t treat me like that. People will have their opinions of me, but if you know me well, I’m a down-to-earth bloke and I just want to be a good dad to my young daughter.”​
“My daughter wasn’t going to make the trip to New Zealand and I just couldn’t handle the thought of being away from her, being in another country. I heard the Dolphins were keen, but the Warriors made it pretty simple for me. They only allowed me to talk to the Broncos and that was fine by me because I love the club and have some good mates there."​
“When I sat down and had a chat with Simon Scanlan, who I’ve known for years from the Academy, I knew it was the right move.”​
“Looking back, it was a maturity thing for me. I didn’t really see what Kevvie was trying to do, but I now understand he was trying to look after me and protect me playing NRL at such a young age. Kevvie came to the club as coach at a time when a lot of young guys were thrown into first grade and they were getting embarrassed every week. Kev didn’t want to put me in that position."​
“He wanted me to bide my time and help my development. I didn’t get it at the time. I wanted to play NRL straight away, but everything happens for a reason."​
“It hasn’t affected my relationship with Kev. We have had a good laugh about things and we can have some honest conversations. If anything it has made our relationship stronger and I’ll be playing for him this year.”​
“I’m hungry to be the best I can be. I want to be one of the best in the comp one day. I grew up watching the Broncos and I remember the 2015 grand final, I was pretty young back then but I watched every single game of that season and I remember how close they came to winning it. I would love to help the Broncos win a premiership one day."​
“While we have a lot of work to do, I know we have the roster to make the finals this year and everyone here is trying to get the best out of each other. If I can get a premiership ring and make the Broncos a force again, I would love for my daughter to see that. The boys got a taste last year and we’re hungry to play finals next season.”​

Selwyn has been mostly awful at fullback in the NRL, no arguments there. I thought he had his best crack at fullback in his most recent stint there but was still really poor in the fundamentals of the role.

If we had a game tomorrow and I had to pick 1 of either Cobbo or Tesi, it is honestly a very hard decision. If Cobbo trained full time at fullback and had 40 games there like Tesi I think Selwyn would be better than he is.

At least Cobbo had form in Q Cup which Tesi never has.

Been thinking about this........I still say no to Tesi.
Walsh is No.1
....if he goes down, it's Herbie to fill in.

I'd like to think if Cobbo is going to move anywhere.....outside back/centre (whatever the ****).....is where I'd like to see him go. Maybe its the GI comparisons, but I could see Cobbo there
but
.....not sure about handling the defensive load.

Should we use Tesi on the wing.......or someone else

who's actually good.

Mariner seems more complete.......

Walsh:

“Looking back, it was a maturity thing for me. I didn’t really see what Kevvie was trying to do, but I now understand he was trying to look after me and protect me playing NRL at such a young age. Kevvie came to the club as coach at a time when a lot of young guys were thrown into first grade and they were getting embarrassed every week. Kev didn’t want to put me in that position."​
“He wanted me to bide my time and help my development. I didn’t get it at the time. I wanted to play NRL straight away, but everything happens for a reason."​

This right here is what I like tbh

Walsh:

“I’ve always loved the Broncos. It feels like home again."​
“I wouldn’t say it’s pressure in my eyes. Wearing the Broncos jumper again … it’s a good opportunity to test myself and I can’t wait for what lies ahead. My first year in the NRL at the Warriors was pretty awesome, I didn’t think I would have that much of an impact. But this year I learnt the NRL is hard and it can get harder as you play more games. A lot of teams strategised around me and had game plans to shut me down."​
“I probably didn’t have as many flashy moments this year, but I believe I improved. My effort areas were better and it was a good growth year for myself. I have worked hard on the professional side of the game and I definitely think I’m coming back to the Broncos as a mentally stronger player.”​
“I’m not complacent at all. There is a massive battle here for the fullback spot, 100 per cent. There’s Tesi here and Herbie wants a crack at fullback as well. Coming back to the club, it excited me to get that fullback spot, but I know I have healthy competition and that’s a good thing."​
“’Kevvie’ hasn’t given me any guarantees at all. He has said will go with the best option at fullback so the pressure is on me to make sure I’m that bloke and I’ll be working hard towards that.”​
“(Getting busted for drugs) was a huge learning curve, a massive wake-up call. It was something I look back on and I took a lot of learnings from that. It’s easy to get raked into stuff like that and when you have a period off in the off-season, a stupid decision like that can affect you long term. I have the learnings now, I’ve made better choices and I won’t be making that mistake again."​
“However long I go in my career, I want to give some younger players some good advice. If anyone else ever goes through that, I feel I’m a shoulder someone can lean on because I have that life experience. I hope I can talk to other guys coming through and help them avoid those bad habits.”​
“I’m not at all cocky. I consider myself a normal person and I know my family don’t treat me like that. People will have their opinions of me, but if you know me well, I’m a down-to-earth bloke and I just want to be a good dad to my young daughter.”​
“My daughter wasn’t going to make the trip to New Zealand and I just couldn’t handle the thought of being away from her, being in another country. I heard the Dolphins were keen, but the Warriors made it pretty simple for me. They only allowed me to talk to the Broncos and that was fine by me because I love the club and have some good mates there."​
“When I sat down and had a chat with Simon Scanlan, who I’ve known for years from the Academy, I knew it was the right move.”​
“It hasn’t affected my relationship with Kev. We have had a good laugh about things and we can have some honest conversations. If anything it has made our relationship stronger and I’ll be playing for him this year.”​
“I’m hungry to be the best I can be. I want to be one of the best in the comp one day. I grew up watching the Broncos and I remember the 2015 grand final, I was pretty young back then but I watched every single game of that season and I remember how close they came to winning it. I would love to help the Broncos win a premiership one day."​
“While we have a lot of work to do, I know we have the roster to make the finals this year and everyone here is trying to get the best out of each other. If I can get a premiership ring and make the Broncos a force again, I would love for my daughter to see that. The boys got a taste last year and we’re hungry to play finals next season.”​
He's saying all the right stuff. Keen to see him back, I rate him highly.

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • Jedhead
  • Midean
  • Xzei
  • Lurker
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.