NEWS Walters: roster is pretty much sorted

I guess it comes down to how you see the world. I know it's fanciful but if I was the coach right now I'd be as excited as hell with my team.

I can see heaps of positives in every single player on our books. Carrigan, Haas, Flegs, TPJ, Lodge have plenty more to give. I don't see a bad team or inadequate players, I see potentially a top four team.
Optimistic but I Actually agree, I think its the Seibold structures that restricted some of our best players.

I think it is optimistic as well to say we have young kids who will be their best in their position. Currently, I think there are three or four who could be and two of those are currently likely or wanting to leave in Staggs and Coates. The others are Haas, Riki, Piakura and no one. Ones who could surprise I suppose are Farnworth, Flegler, Walsh, Dearden, Paix and Carrigan. Aside from Haas and Staggs though, maybe Carrigan, I'd think best case scenario the others are all two-three seasons away at best.

I am not saying we don't have some really good potential talents but a lot of just nowhere near it yet and of those, how many look like hanging around?
I agree with you no certainties and they could still leave. I also agree that even if they do they have some years to develop. TPJ is the other one but depends on fulfilling that potential. I said "could end up" but I guess the point of my post was that unless the team structures and culture changes none of them will.

I agree with you no certainties and they could still leave. I also agree that even if they do they have some years to develop. TPJ is the other one but depends on fulfilling that potential. I said "could end up" but I guess the point of my post was that unless the team structures and culture changes none of them will.

Totally agree with you on that and I don't even think it matters if Kevvie is a great coach or not, no one can be as stupid as Seibold was and run out a team with no plan or structure.

Nice optimism. I see a team that if absolutely everything goes right, they could sneak into the bottom of the 8. They don't have the spine to be a top four side and barely anyone who is in the top 5 or even 10 in their relative position other than Haas, Staggs and maybe Carrigan.
It's very hard to feel optimistic and positive about the team given last year's results and efforts, but let's not forget every single player bar maybe Boyd and hass had an injury interrupted season. You can't judge these same players that were so highly rated in 2019 on an injury effected season. The effort is another area though, and that is the most effect Walters will have I believe.

Our Real and only strength is Middle forwards, we will need our spine to have a breakout year to get anywhere near the 8 imo.

Nice optimism. I see a team that if absolutely everything goes right, they could sneak into the bottom of the 8. They don't have the spine to be a top four side and barely anyone who is in the top 5 or even 10 in their relative position other than Haas, Staggs and maybe Carrigan.

Surely by definition if every single thing goes right we'd win the comp?

Honestly I think we'll be closer to that than the opposite. I think Kevvie can bring a breath of fresh air - along with some actual technical know how - to inspire the boys to have one of those unexpected worst to first (or at least second, third or fourth) type of seasons. Look at Cleveland Browns this year!

Totally agree with you on that and I don't even think it matters if Kevvie is a great coach or not, no one can be as stupid as Seibold was and run out a team with no plan or structure.
Siebs was too technical. It sounded like he wanted more (mentally) than the average footy player could manage.

He comes from an educational background. I think it is best to keep it simple when it comes to league.

Siebs was too technical. It sounded like he wanted more (mentally) than the average footy player could manage.

He comes from an educational background. I think it is best to keep it simple when it comes to league.
A good educator knows how to work with the people he's got, to build trust and confidence and tailor his strategies to suit the target audience. Seibold knew how to stuff his guts, make excuses and apparently very little else. I wouldn't want him teaching at my kid's school.

I think Seibold would do wonders with an older squad. Who has the oldest roster in the league?

Seibold thought he could be the next super coach by plagiarising Jose Mourinho and applying it to rugby league. But rugby league isn’t soccer, the broncos definitely ain’t Chelsea, and Seibold sure as shit ain’t no fuckin Mourinho.

Gotta love how much better the bulldogs have done than the broncos this off-season. Broncos to come last again.

Seibold thought he could be the next super coach by plagiarising Jose Mourinho and applying it to rugby league. But rugby league isn’t soccer, the broncos definitely ain’t Chelsea, and Seibold sure as shit ain’t no fuckin Mourinho.
Seibold was at Gilbert Park today... Looked a bit nervous, tbh...

Gotta love how much better the bulldogs have done than the broncos this off-season. Broncos to come last again.
I'll give you this, you're consistent. Consistently a miserable ****🙁🤣

I definitely don't believe I've ever read a more pessimistic poster in decades. I would like to bet you that you're wrong but in fairness I'd have to give you some sort of odds.

Just make sure you admit it openly, loudly and often so you balance the ledger for the many times you've been the prophet of doom.

Should I be wrong, I'll unhappily admit I was wrong and you were right. I see them in the 8 but 8/9/10 will be a solid improvement.

Our Real and only strength is Middle forwards, we will need our spine to have a breakout year to get anywhere near the 8 imo.

IMO, it will come down to game plan and confidence with the spine. making sure we design a game plan that suits their strengths and negates their weaknesses.

IMO, we need to go old school with this spine, which i definitely think is in Walters wheelhouse.

we need Dearden running the team from both sides of the field

we need Milford and Isaako (or Nui) running the ball, using their footwork and speed. we also need these guys sniffing around the ruck, ready for an offload.

we need Turps to deliver quick but quality ball to our halves. in fact, we need him to play a similar style to cook.

these are all things that are achievable, and will go a long way to ensuring we play finals in 2021

Last edited:

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • broncos4life
  • Mr Fourex
  • Organix
  • Battler
  • Brocko
  • kiwi2
  • KateBroncos1812
  • FACTHUNT
  • Rambstien
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Mustafur
  • Aldo
  • broncsgoat
  • Morkel
  • BroncosAlways
  • Galah
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Foordy
  • Justwin
... and 33 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.