NEWS Walters urges Mozer to be patient, NRL chance will come

BHQArticleImageLarge24

Kevin Walters insists highly rated hooker Blake Mozer has a long-term future at the club and has urged the teenager to be patient and wait for his NRL opportunity.

The former Queensland under-19s rake is signed until the end of 2025 and has been plying his trade for Souths-Logan in the Queensland Cup, for whom he lined up in 18 games last year.

The Broncos currently have four hookers in their top 30.

First choice No.9 Billy Walters is on the cusp of finalising a two-year extension to the end of 2026, while bench hooker Tyson Smoothy is signed through 2025, as is Cory Paix who is shining for Wynnum-Manly.

Mozer, who turns 20 next week, is regarded as a potential future representative hooker, and Broncos coach Walters was on Friday asked if he expected the youngster to wait around for his chance to play NRL.

"Patience is a virtue," Walters said.

"You need to be patient in life, and particularly in rugby league. If you are in a hurry to get somewhere in rugby league it often doesn't work out for you.

"He is in Queensland Cup and he is doing some good things, but there are parts of his game he needs to work really hard on - which he is.

"We have got no complaints about what he is doing or how he is going about it."

Mozer - who has played one NRL game - has been striking up excellent combinations in the second tier, Walters said, adding that the club has "excellent depth" in the hooking space.

"At the moment, Billy and Tyson have a mortgage on those two positions," Walters said.

"Billy and Tyson are playing well, but we see Blake as a long-term player here.

"He is still honing his skills in the Queensland Cup. He is building some good relationships at that level which is going to help him when he does get his chance.

"I expect him to play in the NRL this year. I have no hesitation with him playing in our team."

Walters's son Billy has revitalised his career at the Broncos since joining the club in 2022 from Wests Tigers, who he will play against in Campbelltown on Saturday night.

"Billy has fought hard to get every bit of his NRL career," Walters said.

"Some players come in and get everything at their feet, but he's had to fight really hard.

"That's a proud dad moment, but also a proud Broncos moment.

"He is playing good football for us and really improving each week. Whilst he continues to do that, he will be a proud son.

"Last weekend he was very good for us and we're expecting the same against the Tigers."

Canberra Times

Kerrod W went ok as well. But thats the point. Smoothy and BW are good enough to do this. I really want Mozer to be our Harry Grant but our attack model is not reliant on a superstar hooker.
Mozer is not really like Grant but we’d love him to be Blake Mozer that’s for sure

Patience is a fine spruik but in reality, professional sport doesn't work like that.

Probably exasperating the issue in Mozer's mind- and I don't even know that an issue exists is look at all his Meninga mates- 21- Mariner and Weaver have all played NRL- 22- Gray is playing NRL.

Sitting there watching Gray on ANZAC day wouldn't help. Mozer is certainly playing frustrated but he's also playing in a team playing poorly, Souths 22- were just as bad but he only played three games in Cup and three games in Colts and a season of Meninga. This year he's the hooker and it's clearly impacting him they're going badly- he's never been in a terrible team.

When the Bulldogs had Sherwin and Anasta, Thurston didn't sit there saying hope my time comes. He had to move on and make it happen.

Mozer hasn't even hit the same amount of Cup games Smith played- two off so it's not like this is dragging on and he's only half of Grant's amount at the moment too.

But having said that I can also understand how in November when clubs start saying you'll be our hooker in 26 it will be tempting. That's the big trap, a lot can happen between November 2024 and March 2026. If he goes to the Raiders and is playing great football in 2026 you think he would have been Broncos hooker anyway.

I remember in 2019, he got six other offers from Sydney clubs and the Titans and turned them down for the Broncos and signed an extension in 2020 and then 2022- so he's signed three times with the Broncos. You certainly can't question his loyalty to the Broncos.

Nothing I've seen from Mozer screams put me in the 17.

Happy for him to play cup until injuries or form permits otherwise.

Patience is a fine spruik but in reality, professional sport doesn't work like that.

Probably exasperating the issue in Mozer's mind- and I don't even know that an issue exists is look at all his Meninga mates- 21- Mariner and Weaver have all played NRL- 22- Gray is playing NRL.

Sitting there watching Gray on ANZAC day wouldn't help. Mozer is certainly playing frustrated but he's also playing in a team playing poorly, Souths 22- were just as bad but he only played three games in Cup and three games in Colts and a season of Meninga. This year he's the hooker and it's clearly impacting him they're going badly- he's never been in a terrible team.

When the Bulldogs had Sherwin and Anasta, Thurston didn't sit there saying hope my time comes. He had to move on and make it happen.

Mozer hasn't even hit the same amount of Cup games Smith played- two off so it's not like this is dragging on and he's only half of Grant's amount at the moment too.

But having said that I can also understand how in November when clubs start saying you'll be our hooker in 26 it will be tempting. That's the big trap, a lot can happen between November 2024 and March 2026. If he goes to the Raiders and is playing great football in 2026 you think he would have been Broncos hooker anyway.

I remember in 2019, he got six other offers from Sydney clubs and the Titans and turned them down for the Broncos and signed an extension in 2020 and then 2022- so he's signed three times with the Broncos. You certainly can't question his loyalty to the Broncos.
Great insight- thanks. You have to hope that KW or someone from the system is having regular discussions with the lad and managing his needs/exoectatiobs

Nothing I've seen from Mozer screams put me in the 17.

Happy for him to play cup until injuries or form permits otherwise.

That's 100% true and absolute but In Mam's last game in Cup in 22- Souths got beaten 32-0 and Mam made 15m from four runs and missed four tackles. Simbiken had two tries 11 minutes in just running over him and through him.

Four days later he was playing NRL and hasn't played Cup again. How you get that right I have no idea, don't think anyone does but no way you could watch Mam in early 22 and say he's NRL ready. He looked like he had lost his last $10 for eight rounds.

That's 100% true and absolute but In Mam's last game in Cup in 22- Souths got beaten 32-0 and Mam made 15m from four runs and missed four tackles. Simbiken had two tries 11 minutes in just running over him and through him.

Four days later he was playing NRL and hasn't played Cup again. How you get that right I have no idea, don't think anyone does but no way you could watch Mam in early 22 and say he's NRL ready. He looked like he had lost his last $10 for eight rounds.
Yeah but I guess at the time we didn't really have anybody else.. Gamble was the backup from memory and was not a super good compliment to Reyno.

Mozer has two decently performing NRL hookers in front of him but one injury will change everything. Neither are really mainstay in the position like Walsh or Carrigan.. As soon as Smoothy or Walters get injured he will get his chance. Could be Corey Oates and Mariner/Arthars all over again!

Only have to look at how Arthur's came into the side. Oates get a injury Arthur's comes in and holds his spot.
Similar thing was happening with Tesi and Martin a few
I think if Smoothy goes down Mozer gets a crack and could hold that spot, no matter how good Smoothy is.
Mozer is probably a injury away to Billy or Smoothy at getting his chance.

Injury / opportunity changes everything.

Lucky for some, not so much for others.

No doubt he has a manager in his ear....doing his job(?)

The Wire Omar GIF

Can we loan him to a club like the storm did with Grant?

On Grant, if I recall correctly he played a fair bit of qcup before getting a shot in fg?

On Grant, if I recall correctly he played a fair bit of qcup before getting a shot in fg?

It's possible ... but I think most clubs are set at hooker. not sure he'd get a start at another club.

He could possibly snag a bench spot somewhere else, but not sure that would be worth letting him go.

2018/19 he played 41 Cup games and two NRL games.

15 games for the Tigers in 20.

Not sure in the NRL, but i bet a few superleague clubs would give him an opportunity if he is willing to go to England.

It's possible ... but I think most clubs are set at hooker. not sure he'd get a start at another club.

He could possibly snag a bench spot somewhere else, but not sure that would be worth letting him go.
Jake Turpin, Chris Randall, Jayden Brailey, Jacob Liddle, Joey Lussick and Danny Levi - wouldn't take an amazing rake to move past these guys. Several of these are off contract at the same time as Mozer.

Jake Turpin, Chris Randall, Jayden Brailey, Jacob Liddle, Joey Lussick and Danny Levi - wouldn't take an amazing rake to move past these guys. Several of these are off contract at the same time as Mozer.

Canberra is going all in on youth too.

Indeed - Canberra have coin too - they are still looking at poaching Fafita.

People want to succeed and sports players see their careers as extremely fleeting - so young players absolutely will leave to get top 17 squad position.

Reece left for these reasons and only came back because his personal situation soured. You almost never get a second bite at a player who's left through what they feel is a lack of opportunity.

People argue that he's got to earn it - true. But you also need to manage a roster, you need to be attractive to your employees. If they don't see things coming to fruition, they will move on. Sometimes that means sending someone in before you feel they are ready - all in the name of retention.

I think we're talking about different scenarios.

I have zero doubt that there will be plenty of suitors for Mozer when is is off contract ... and by 2026, I'm sure he could easily overtaken all of those players you mentioned. Hell, by 2026 he could have worked his way up the pecking order here to become an NRL regular.

the scenario I'm specifically talking about however, is the question of whether a "loan" deal similar to what the Storm did with Grant, would be beneficial to Mozer and to us. so then the following questions need to be asked:

1. Will Mozer play decent minutes immediately in the NRL if we loaned him to another club.
2. is it beneficial to us to allow Mozer to go to one of those likely struggling and desperate clubs instead of remaining first drop for us.

I'm not sure i could answer yes to either of those questions

I can't see Canberra essentially signing Mozer on a one year contract for the rest of 2024 (allowing us to sign him back for 2025). especially given the rest of their spine are also rookies

I think we're talking about different scenarios.

I have zero doubt that there will be plenty of suitors for Mozer when is is off contract ... and by 2026, I'm sure he could easily overtaken all of those players you mentioned. Hell, by 2026 he could have worked his way up the pecking order here to become an NRL regular.

the scenario I'm specifically talking about however, is the question of whether a "loan" deal similar to what the Storm did with Grant, would be beneficial to Mozer and to us. so then the following questions need to be asked:

1. Will Mozer play decent minutes immediately in the NRL if we loaned him to another club.
2. is it beneficial to us to allow Mozer to go to one of those likely struggling and desperate clubs instead of remaining first drop for us.

I'm not sure i could answer yes to either of those questions
That's fair.

The problem for us is, he may be well gone before 26. It's an open secret players agents are talking to clubs when they shouldn't and Mozer's is almost certainly working on his next deal right now. He can sign in 6 months and 5 days and we may be forced to release him for 25.

Unread

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Allo
  • Lozza
  • Battler
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.