NEWS Walters warns: Milford might come back

Don't celebrate just yet. Kevin Walters jokes Anthony Milford's banishment to the ISC might only be a temporary glitch in the simulation:

“I want to make it clear I haven‘t given up on Milf. If we are going to improve, I need to make the hard calls and ensure everyone wants to get better and if that happens, the team will benefit. I know Milf is copping a lot of criticism, but I honestly believe I can work with Anthony and get him firing again. It has to come from Milf, too. It has to come from within. He needs to have the desire and hunger, I’ve seen it in him in the past, so hopefully he can fight back and have a good career at the Broncos.”

H4E08DB6000000578 0 image a 63 1531075747582

Hunger and desire

“I sat down with Anthony and I took him through a few things I needed him to work on. It‘s my job as coach to get him back performing. There’s a few things Milf needs to work on, his kicking is a key area that has to be addressed, but everything about his game can be better. To Anthony‘s credit, he took it well. He understood my reasoning and he took it like a man, which I respected."

Main qimg 72003817cd4b4d6365011ac20284cb3b

All going to plan

“During my career as a player, it was a regular occurrence for players to get dropped to reserve grade if you didn’t perform. That’s the way it was. I’m sure Anthony can respond to what I want. You talk about his contract ... well that’s what I’m trying to do, I’m searching for ways to get him back to his best football."

“I want Milf to go back to the Intrust and work on a few things in his game. At his best, he has special things in his game. I told him to go back and be the Anthony Milford which we haven‘t seen for a while. I want him to get some confidence back. My hope is that he gets better there and if he does that, I will bring him back into the team. It‘s up to Anthony how long he stays in Intrust. It will be longer than a week, but I need him playing well and we‘ll put the support around him to get back to the NRL. Ultimately, he has to drive it.”

McHunt

But didn't he play like 4 games there last year. Each game he came up with a crucial handling error, and I think the West Tigers 48-0 game was his last stint there. Was impressive against the Dogs but c'mon everyone looks 10x better against Canterbury. Like a lot of rookies, was a bit too timid.
If Isaako picks up an injury, could make a better showing than his 1st stint there.
He was solid, did some good things and some bad but he's still only young . I'm happy to see him at 1 again after some time in cup , I think he's got the tools to be very good. Let's be honest most of our players have been timid because of the confidence sapping smashing we've copped over the last few years.

He was solid, did some good things and some bad but he's still only young . I'm happy to see him at 1 again after some time in cup , I think he's got the tools to be very good. Let's be honest most of our players have been timid because of the confidence sapping smashing we've copped over the last few years.

Problem is, he is going into a Q Cup team with identical defensive issues.

Says a lot doesn't it. The one stat you think he would excel at and he even gets dominated at that.
Probably not... Milf turned up 3 days before playing and Kelly has been their halfback all year.

Kelly was also a halfback over in ESL (ie Souths arent looking to replace him or change his role on such short notice)

I daresay he dominated the playmaking duties given the limited lead up.

I'd probably be more upset about Milf's involvement based on the touches he had.

Reece Walsh was everywhere for Redcliffe yesterday and he's probably only been with them for a week or so... it shows a willingness to be on the ball and put yourself in positions to receive the ball, which is something you'd want from your running five-eight.

Without seeing Milf's game I'd say it wouldve been very similar to most of last year where he was happy to just sit on his left edge, call for the ball every now and then, and put on a block play with no real thought behind it

Probably not... Milf turned up 3 days before playing and Kelly has been their halfback all year.

Kelly was also a halfback over in ESL (ie Souths arent looking to replace him or change his role on such short notice)

I daresay he dominated the playmaking duties given the limited lead up.

I'd probably be more upset about Milf's involvement based on the touches he had.

Reece Walsh was everywhere for Redcliffe yesterday and he's probably only been with them for a week or so... it shows a willingness to be on the ball and put yourself in positions to receive the ball, which is something you'd want from your running five-eight.

Without seeing Milf's game I'd say it wouldve been very similar to most of last year where he was happy to just sit on his left edge, call for the ball every now and then, and put on a block play with no real thought behind it

Receiving the ball in your own half to put a good kick in doesn't require much team cohesion, I would have thought. Just scream for the ball and kick the thing. It isn't hard. **** what Kelly wants.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Tim K
  • Dash
  • IceWorks
  • Gympie devil
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Harry Sack
  • The True King
  • Broncosgirl
  • Behold
  • broncoscope
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.