Waqa Try

Re: Round 24 - Broncos vs Storm - Post Match Discussion

why not? it IS how the game is played. players knock it back all the time but if the ball remains in front of their body it will be and always is deemed a 'knock on', because thats just how it is in rugby league.. why should it be any different in the case of waqas try

why not? because its the complete opposite of the rules!

referees get calls wrong all the time in regards to knock-ons. was matt scotts "knock-on" in the third origin, where the ball went about 2m backwards, the correct call? if a referee calls a knock-back a knock-on, and if the ball goes 1mm backwards it IS a knock-back, that doesnt mean that he was right and that that is just how the game is played.

again - the rule is that it has to go FORWARD for it to be a knock-on. you cant argue this, its in the official rules of the game. backwards is not forwards. the "fabric of the game" is generally referred to by someone who knows theyre wrong but think that the rules are wrong. the rules cant be wrong, theyre the rules. if the rules changed tomorrow to allow forward passes, citing the "fabric of the game" as a reason why a gridiron like try shouldnt be allowed just doesnt cut it.

There is just something wrong with crying in your cups about a try that, if not awarded, would have been sheer luck for the Broncos.

If a player sprints 95 metres from an intercept pass and knocks in on over the line, you're not applauding the other team for throwing the pass? You're counting your lucky stars and worrying as to why the pass was thrown in the first place.

Bottom line is it didn't cost us the game.
I know what you're saying and I agree with the gist of it, but it did cost us the game in the sense that without those 6 points, the Storm would've lost.

It is very unlikely that the Storm would even have had the chance to score in what remained of the first half, so the teams would've gone into the sheds in a total different state of mind.

Of course, things could've gone differently in the second half and the Storm might have won the game anyway, or the young Broncos, buoyed by their first half game and result, could have gone on to win by a bigger margin.

Fact is that that try influenced the result of the game directly, and unlike those 50/50 calls (like the Reed penalty in Sydney), a Video Ref should never have awarded it. Almost everyone clearly saw that Waqa dropped it cold, and only a BOTD deprived of any common sense allowed it to be adjudicated that way.

There is just something wrong with crying in your cups about a try that, if not awarded, would have been sheer luck for the Broncos.

Bottom line is it didn't cost us the game.

this discussion isnt about whether it cost us the game or not.

anyway its 5pm and the work day is over :)

Almost everyone clearly saw that Waqa dropped it cold, and only a BOTD deprived of any common sense allowed it to be adjudicated that way.

noones denying he dropped it though, thats the thing.

he dropped it, but the direction in which it travelled has doubt over it, hence the benefit of the doubt. you might not think there was doubt, gus might not think there was doubt, bill harrigan might not think there was doubt, but when you watch it it would take a very brave/foolish person to say that there is NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER that it went forwards.

flogging%2Ba%2Bdead%2Bhorse.jpg

Basically the way I see it.

Waqa swerves past Hoffman, Reed comes over the top, plays at the ball, it comes loose, Waqa tries to regather it with his left, gets a faint grasp but then loses it forward with his left hand and it hits the ground ~.5 of a second before he lands on it.

No try.

Last edited:
No Try.

BOTD is still stupid. Especially when there is clear separation.

I think Bennett summed it up best when he spoke on this issue. Definite no try.

AP - you're the only one in the world that cares what the rule book says. You simply don't understand what we and the vast majority of Rugby League fans, players, officials and commentators believe to be a knock on. I know you hate the fabric of the game argument, but that's what it is. And it's more important than a book of rules.

Basically the way I see it.

Waqa swerves past Hoffman, Reed comes over the top, plays at the ball, it comes loose, Waqa tries to regather it with his left, gets a faint grasp but then loses it forward with his left hand and it hits the ground ~.5 of a second before he lands on it.

No try.

This pretty much sums up my view on what occurred as well. We are unfortunately left with the intangibles. If that try was disallowed, the Storm don't get that emotional lift just before half-time, conversely, we don't suffer the let down just before half time. Does that mean we come out after half time with a bit more confidence and not flat like we did??? I just hope our luck turns for the Manly game.

This pretty much sums up my view on what occurred as well. We are unfortunately left with the intangibles. If that try was disallowed, the Storm don't get that emotional lift just before half-time, conversely, we don't suffer the let down just before half time. Does that mean we come out after half time with a bit more confidence and not flat like we did??? I just hope our luck turns for the Manly game.

My feelings too.

AP - you're the only one in the world that cares what the rule book says. You simply don't understand what we and the vast majority of Rugby League fans, players, officials and commentators believe to be a knock on. I know you hate the fabric of the game argument, but that's what it is. And it's more important than a book of rules.

I understand it, but it IS wrong. Believe what you want, I'll believe the rule book which is always right.

There was seperation between the ball on the ground and his torso so thaqt rule as dumb as it is shouldn't have applied. Even Waqa knew it for gods sake!

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.