Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Wayne Bennett says Darius Boyd
has taken too much of Broncos’ blame

Chris Honnery,
The Courier-Mail
September 19, 2019 1:45pm

Last edited by a moderator:
Look, I am as big a critic of WB as anyone, but in all honesty, I don't think anything too much said by Wayne in this article is too unreasonable. Darius sucked, for sure, but Bennett could see we had a lot of issues other than just Boyd. Seibolds halves and hooker selections being a major contributor to our shittyness.

I think Wayne was maybe just a little bit jealous Darius is getting all the press this week.

"He’s probably taken too much of the criticism, but that’s the way it goes.” said Benny. Maybe Wayne it just might be because out of the 17 he is one of the highest paid and holds and enjoys the privileges of the prestigious position of captain and is expected to put in a wee bit more than the rest. So when that's not happening he deserves all the criticism that comes his way. Still, you were quick to grab Su'a and Roberts from us so I expect you'll be making a play for him in the next few days eh?

Of course Bennett would say it. I'm not one to sink the boot in to him when it's not warranted, but a statement such as this is an absolute win for him.

* Gets to keep Boyd's morale high, they do have a good relationship after all.
* Affirms to Boyd that he's being treated harshly, and should feel hard done by.
* Boyd sticks up for himself and digs in his heels with his contract, he feels he genuinely still has something to offer (which we all know he doesn't).
* Broncos get fucked over and continue to struggle under the cap.

Win/win/win/win.

Of course Bennett would say it. I'm not one to sink the boot in to him when it's not warranted, but a statement such as this is an absolute win for him.

* Gets to keep Boyd's morale high, they do have a good relationship after all.
* Affirms to Boyd that he's being treated harshly, and should feel hard done by.
* Boyd sticks up for himself and digs in his heels with his contract, he feels he genuinely still has something to offer (which we all know he doesn't).
* Broncos get fucked over and continue to struggle under the cap.

Win/win/win/win.
What he says about him publicly may well be different to what he has said to him in private for all we know.

That said, they're obviously extremely close and I have no problem with him whatsoever sticking up for his mate in public. Standing by your mates in a public environment is what good mates do.

What he says about him publicly may well be different to what he has said to him in private for all we know.

That said, they're obviously extremely close and I have no problem with him whatsoever sticking up for his mate in public. Standing by your mates in a public environment is what good mates do.
100%. If your long time employee and friend was copping bulk shit at a difficult point in their life after having a bad season and getting belted in the media all year, you'd stand up for them. Not like it's out of character for Bennett either. Hell, the NRL even ran an ad about don't just leave your mates hanging out to dry by themselves.

A good mate would also tell him if he thought his time has come.
Benny has had plenty of experience giving blokes the tap on the shoulder so we’ll see what happens here (if anything).
I know siebold would highly resent Benny interfering in the club now but in this situation I don’t think he would complain.

I think Wayne was maybe just a little bit jealous Darius is getting all the press this week.

Mate he’s at a press conference at Souths and the media plebs asked him about 8 questions in a row about Boyd.

If he didn’t answer he’d get cooked and he’s getting cooked for how he responded.

Mate he’s at a press conference at Souths and the media plebs asked him about 8 questions in a row about Boyd.

If he didn’t answer he’d get cooked and he’s getting cooked for how he responded.
Ok buddy settle down. It was an obvious joke....or so I thought. It was a joke bud. Wayne's fine.

Ok buddy settle down. It was an obvious joke....or so I thought. It was a joke bud. Wayne's fine.

I’m not riled up, first time I read the thread and just chose yours to respond to because it was the easiest to address every post itt with.

I did miss that it was a joke tho 🤷🏼‍♂️

Some good news at the end of the horizon fellas. I heard tonight that if Boyd doesn’t play 15 games next season, his final year in 2021 doesn’t have to be honoured. I know, I know, this does **** all for us next year.

Some good news at the end of the horizon fellas. I heard tonight that if Boyd doesn’t play 15 games next season, his final year in 2021 doesn’t have to be honoured. I know, I know, this does **** all for us next year.
So, don't follow the Broncos all that closely huh? It seems like you were the last to hear that little snippet!

Active Now

• mitch222
  • Wolfie
  • Justwin
  • FACTHUNT
  • Harry Sack
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Culhwch
  • Stix
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • armchair
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Johnny92
  • broncsgoat
  • Mustafur
  • leon.bott
  • RolledOates
  • Swordfish
  • Xzei
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.