-NEWS- Wayne Bennett: Darius Boyd has taken too much Broncos' blame

CountingMaccasDiet

BRL Player
Yeah a mate of mine high up in the club told me tonight he's gotta play 15 games in 2020 to be able to play on. Keep it on the DL. Very hush hush if ya know what I mean.
Thanks Pub Steak Pub Steak . Would this have been agreed via a handshake , or is there some other way the club and the player can understand their obligations???

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
I decided approximately a month ago that I won’t watch Broncos games until Boyd isn’t in the team.
Ha ha ha, really mate? The talk about the activation clause didn't happen during telecasts! Good try old mate but no...just admit it, you haven't been paying attention and were well behind the times! It's all good though, we all love the Broncos in different ways ;)

Lebbo73

NYC Player
Ha ha ha, really mate? The talk about the activation clause didn't happen during telecasts! Good try old mate but no...just admit it, you haven't been paying attention and were well behind the times! It's all good though, we all love the Broncos in different ways ;)
What nights do the Broncos play? Mainly on Friday night. I work Friday nights but I do have access to a TV for small chunks while at work. It is how it is. I didn’t know about the activation clause until yesterday.

Pub Steak

QCup Player
What a shocking revelation. Is your mate sure?
Yeah he also said that apparently Milf is only on $100k per year as he pays the other 900 into pokie tax. Always hits the gamble win button and only plays the gameking machines. He's done the math and worked out that if he keeps pumping the money in he will eventually get it back.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
What nights do the Broncos play? Mainly on Friday night. I work Friday nights but I do have access to a TV for small chunks while at work. It is how it is. I didn’t know about the activation clause until yesterday.
Mainly Friday nights, my troll alert is going off its tits.

In_Seibs_We_Trust

BRL Player
In the cold light of day Wayne is right and those saying "why don't you take him" are either really dumb, or have short memories.

Wayne signed him and had the club not fired Wayne he was prepared to coach here thos year. So he was prepared totake Darius.

Now Seibs rightly is gong in a different direction but to blame Wayne is ignorant.

Last edited:

kooly87

QCup Player
A good mate would also tell him if he thought his time has come.
Benny has had plenty of experience giving blokes the tap on the shoulder so we’ll see what happens here (if anything).
I know siebold would highly resent Benny interfering in the club now but in this situation I don’t think he would complain.
We have literally no idea about what he's said to Darius in private. You're exactly right, he does have a history of tapping blokes on the shoulder and rightly so, but it's done in private and with respect. Telling Boyd through a press conference to pack it in and retire is unprofessional even if he was still his Coach, let alone the fact he isn't his Coach anymore. It's also not good form as a close friend and confidant. I have no issue with him backing Boyd in public whatsoever. What they have or have not discussed behind the scenes though is entirely between them.

Broncapz

QCup Player
Boyd is a symbol of everything that is wrong with our club at the moment.

Loyalty to aging and underperforming is hurting the club. It was Thaiday, it's now Gillette, Macca and Boyd.

Look at the way Storm deal with players, in this case at the moment Will Chambers. That is how a professional sports team is run. It doesn't have to be inhuman, but we have gone too far the other way.

Gaz

NRL Player
Darius Boyd
How 2019 went:Really, really bad.
Darius was once an elite fullback, but now faces an uncertain future at Red Hill after performing poorly most of the season.
He was shifted to five-eighth at the end of the year and wasn't much better there.
Boyd rated worst fullback In competition.
Source : Sportingnews.com

Hammerman47

BRL Player
Gold Coast
I have no problem with WB sticking up for Boyd and he (WB) would love to see the Broncos go another year as a disorganised rabble. However if Boyd cared one iota about the club he would accept a job in the Broncos "players mental health program" and fk off out the team so we have some free money to spend on our developing youngsters.... oh and hopefully he takes MCC and Gillette with him.

Bongo

QCup Player
Boyd will wait to get his money which is his right but it is also the clubs right not to employee him in any capacity after he retires from playing. I think the club should permanently part ways if he sticks to his guns. The smarter decision for Boyd would be to retire and have a salary post football, which means lower tax payable over a longer period and more in his pocket. I don't think Darius will end up being that smart.

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Player
Boyd will wait to get his money which is his right but it is also the clubs right not to employee him in any capacity after he retires from playing. I think the club should permanently part ways if he sticks to his guns. The smarter decision for Boyd would be to retire and have a salary post football, which means lower tax payable over a longer period and more in his pocket. I don't think Darius will end up being that smart.
Agreed.

If he chooses to stay, pay him out. Boot him. Be done with it and not keep him around ruining the culture

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter