Wayne Bennett: Gagai shouldn’t have been sacked

So? He had deficiencies that put us in the back foot just about every time he had the ball kicked to him. Hook tried to fix that. You don’t just ignore those deficiencies because he did this one thing one time.

He was only a rookie then of course he had deficiencies but he showed glimpses of brilliance that a lot of people were hopeful for. Guys like maranta got given more chances though and he got driven back cross country every tackle.

So? He had deficiencies that put us in the back foot just about every time he had the ball kicked to him. Hook tried to fix that. You don’t just ignore those deficiencies because he did this one thing one time.

And yet he is a QLF & AUS. rep . Everyone has deficiencies in there game especially at 19

I can see Hook’s point. You have to have standards and have to be able to draw a line in the sand when those standards are breached, but unless there is more to this situation than has been revealed, this is exactly why Hook had no business being a Broncos coach (or in reality an NRL coach) because those standards are ludicrous.

He couldn’t seem to grasp that some NRL players rely upon their speed and agility to be effective and making them add weight only reduced this ability. Some players need to bulk up, some don’t. But he didn’t seem to be able to pick those who needed to and those who didn’t. Barba was especially bad. Bulked up at Broncs, played like arse. Slimmed down at Cronulla got back to his best form.

Hook must have been scratching his head watching Barba carve up at the Sharks. I wonder if that decision making is what improved in his time away or Penrith realise that is clearly not his strong point and he doesn’t get to make those decisions?

Wayne let Joey Leilua be fat in Newcastle. He became a much better player at Canberra when he got in better shape.

I'd like to see Milford leaner as well.

And yet he is a QLF & AUS. rep . Everyone has deficiencies in there game especially at 19

Of course they do. I’m not even disputing the fact that Hook was heavy-handed. But painting him as a moron or mentally challenged is ignoring the situation at the time. As is conveniently forgetting the Hook wanted him to succeed and did what he thought was best for Gagai.

Of course they do. I’m not even disputing the fact that Hook was heavy-handed. But painting him as a moron or mentally challenged is ignoring the situation at the time. As is conveniently forgetting the Hook wanted him to succeed and did what he thought was best for Gagai.

To me the weight thing is a side issue that's being made into the major issue. Gagai's life was not in control and he was not being professional. The Broncos did everything they could- even moved him in with Gee to give some balance.

He was sacked only a month after signing a new deal with the Broncos so they thought they could help him and he wasn't a lost cause.

How much bigger now is Gagai than 2012? How much more impact does he have with strength? It's hardly a ridiculous idea to want outside backs that are bigger.

I think people give griffin way too much credit for the broncos failures. There were a lot of players, he pushed hard to get their potential. Some succeeded (for which he is given little credit) some failed (barba). Gagai went to Newcastle and succeeded. Good for him. Hunt might do the same at st George. Gavet gets regular minutes at the warriors, and Copley might get some LUCK and not break down at the titans. That's life. You win some and you lose some.
Same for the players you keep. Its always hard to say they will succeed for sure. Look at knik at half. All you can do is let them develop how you want them to, put on the field with other who compliment them and a strategy that works.
The difference from a club immortal and also-ran can be one point (look at hunt). No coach can guarantee that.
Bennet is the best in the business and we havent a premiership. Is it his fault alone? Of course not. We got to the semi's is that his success alone? no once again.
I'm pretty sure Penrith are happy to be get as far as they have this year. They have some excellent youth coming through (like us) and might see some success, with a gifted player or two making their mark.
Do coaches make mistakes? plenty. It took Bennet 5 years to get a premiership and he had his barba moment too (lewis). He bought an in international prop that lasted a year (neibling) and a host of players that were in and out of the team. They failed to make the finals in 91 and Bennet was on the verge of being sacked.
Everybody knows what happened in 92.

Wayne let Joey Leilua be fat in Newcastle. He became a much better player at Canberra when he got in better shape.

I'd like to see Milford leaner as well.

Let the strength and conditioning team do their jobs, it's why they're part of a club.

As an aside, I don't know how and why players on million dollar contracts are just allowed to go out and do what they want diet wise, it makes no sense to me.

EDIT: You can't physically gain LBM as quickly as Hook wanted without PEDs. So the weighing thing was objectively stupid and would have impacted performance, especially in our backs, big time.

I don't agree ! It seems alot of players have had run ins with hook over his rediculous ways.

You also shouldn’t discard potential so easily, which is a constant theme on this forum but apparently in Gagai’s case it was fine...

A lot more ruthlessness is needed within this club to be a genuine premiership contender in my opinion and that includes playing for 80 minutes and not 50-60 and not so easily releasing our genuine talent that seem destined for earned representative honours and retaining those that aren’t...

Last edited:
To me the weight thing is a side issue that's being made into the major issue. Gagai's life was not in control and he was not being professional. The Broncos did everything they could- even moved him in with Gee to give some balance.

He was sacked only a month after signing a new deal with the Broncos so they thought they could help him and he wasn't a lost cause.

How much bigger now is Gagai than 2012? How much more impact does he have with strength? It's hardly a ridiculous idea to want outside backs that are bigger.

That would have anything to do with the maturing one sees between 19 and 25 plus 5 years of NRL training by chance?

As to backs being bigger, there is a significant difference between ‘bigger’ and ‘heavier’ when that extra weight comes at the expense of acceleration and agility, I’m not convinced it is always worth it...

People really have short memories, and it's so easy to hang shit on Griffin. He has plenty of flaws, but Gagai's dismissal isn't one of them. That kid needed a change of environment by his own admission, and although it cost the Broncos, it was in Dane's favour.

It's piss poor from anyone, especially Bennett, to blame Griffin for something he did for Gagai's own benefit, when he is the first to normally look after the player before the club... in fact, it's quite hypocritical, when we just lost a kid we should have never released in the first place.

That would have anything to do with the maturing one sees between 19 and 25 plus 5 years of NRL training by chance?

As to backs being bigger, there is a significant difference between ‘bigger’ and ‘heavier’ when that extra weight comes at the expense of acceleration and agility, I’m not convinced it is always worth it...

Of course that’s the reason but Hook’s idea he’d be more effective bigger isn’t ludicrous because he is now more effective and bigger than he’s ever been.

Of course that’s the reason but Hook’s idea he’d be more effective bigger isn’t ludicrous because he is now more effective and bigger than he’s ever been.

Yep, but that is my issue, were the gains all lean muscle or a combination of muscle and fat? Because so many and Barba was the pin up boy for this, just looked plain fat and it definitely showed in their play and lack of pace...

He is now bigger and more effective without losing pace and agility whereas Hook’s program just had them bigger...

Last edited:

I suppose though it happens with younger players. They need to develop and i dont think Hook had the patience to develop Dane.

I suppose though it happens with younger players. They need to develop and i dont think Hook had the patience to develop Dane.

Whatever his faults, he seemingly was able to be managed and developed in Newcastle without too many apparent issues and once away from Hook he has become an Origin and Kangaroo star...

His strength and size now has nothing to do with Hook’s ridiculous weight gain program.
All young athletes get bigger and stronger as they mature with the right diet and weight training.
From the sounds of it Gagai was just getting fat and depressed on Hook’s ridiculous get fat as quickly as possible program.

What’s going on with Hook and Moylan at the Panthers?
Another talented player Hook can’t be bothered to deal with?

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • Morkel
  • Justwin
  • Totally Unr3al
  • bb_gun
  • theshed
  • Big Del
  • Tim K
  • Howie
  • Bucking Beads
  • Waynesaurus
  • Sproj
  • Dexter
  • Griffo
  • Broncosgirl
  • heartly87
  • john1420
  • Pablo
  • marw
  • Hurrijo
... and 18 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.