Wayne Bennett: Gagai shouldn’t have been sacked

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Just coz meats and dairy are deemed 'healthy' as they contain essential nutrients, doesn't mean that they can be eaten without moderation. Overeating anything can be detrimental

what is considered "over-eating" or detrimental for a you and me, isn't necessarily "over-eating" or detrimental for a professional athlete

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
4 Litres of full cream milk a day is not healthy for you.
It just gets you fat fast and that is what exactly happen to Barba
So I guess Hook telling Maranta to eat 2 whole BBQ chickens from Woolthworths a day is also a healthy diet to you?
No one said it is healthy, but it isn't as bad as you're trying to make it up to be, especially if it is for a relatively short time span.

How much do you actually know about dietary requirements and methods to increase muscle and weight? Salads are not going to do it, I can tell you that.

Junk food would be putting KFC buckets or multiple large Big Mac meals in front of the players and make them eat it. Besides, given the natural tendencies for people to exaggerate, I'd bet the quantities would be nothing of the kind you're mentioning here.

Regardless, the reason for Gagai's sacking had nothing to do with his ability to put on weight or eat enough junk food, and this thread is just another escape valve for people to bag Griffin, and swallow whole anything said by WB.

Q

QLD JANE

NYC Player
Jun 1, 2017
I rather believe what current and ex Broncos players have told me and what WB has said than some randoms on a forum making assumptions.

‘For the first time, Bennett lifted the lid on Gagai’s stint at the Broncos, rubbishing suggestions he was a poor trainer who had an attitude problem.
“To this day, I honestly can’t understand why the Broncos let him go. A lot of people feel that way,” said Bennett ahead of Gagai’s Test debut in the World Cup opener tonight at AAMI Park.

“They always weighed him at the Broncos. They were making him eat too much.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I rather believe what current and ex Broncos players have told me and what WB has said than some randoms on a forum making assumptions.

‘For the first time, Bennett lifted the lid on Gagai’s stint at the Broncos, rubbishing suggestions he was a poor trainer who had an attitude problem.
“To this day, I honestly can’t understand why the Broncos let him go. A lot of people feel that way,” said Bennett ahead of Gagai’s Test debut in the World Cup opener tonight at AAMI Park.

“They always weighed him at the Broncos. They were making him eat too much.
Bennett is just echoing what Dane is saying now, which is not what he was saying at the time it occurred.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...9bd2bb55f?sv=d900a47886c6d444f64a64e8c8889862

Forgive me if I take your (some random on a forum with 30 odd posts) "inside info" with a grain of salt.

P.S. I was a big Gagai fan at the time it occurred, where most people were bagging him on this same forum.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
what is considered "over-eating" or detrimental for a you and me, isn't necessarily "over-eating" or detrimental for a professional athlete

It is if it’s not working or hurting player performance. Gagai certainly wasn’t the only one and it seems every player that left during or right after Hook’s tenure came out and said similar things re diet.

Surely that’s not a coincidence? It could’ve been an easy line to trot out as a way to sell a headline, especially anti-Griffin, but where there’s smoke ...

It may have been over-exaggerated but I don’t believe it wasn’t an issue

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
It is if it’s not working or hurting player performance. Gagai certainly wasn’t the only one and it seems every player that left during or right after Hook’s tenure came out and said similar things re diet.

Surely that’s not a coincidence? It could’ve been an easy line to trot out as a way to sell a headline, especially anti-Griffin, but where there’s smoke ...

It may have been over-exaggerated but I don’t believe it wasn’t an issue
Interesting that only players who left the Broncos came out with that line, and many of the current players haven't repeated it. Besides, if this is a Hook trait, why isn't it occurring at the Panthers?

Q

QLD JANE

NYC Player
Jun 1, 2017
Bennett is just echoing what Dane is saying now, which is not what he was saying at the time it occurred.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...9bd2bb55f?sv=d900a47886c6d444f64a64e8c8889862

Forgive me if I take your (some random on a forum with 30 odd posts) "inside info" with a grain of salt.

P.S. I was a big Gagai fan at the time it occurred, where most people were bagging him on this same forum.

This a joke of a reply?
He isn’t exactly going to come out a couple days after being sacked and bag the coach while he was looking for a new team.

“I was sacked because I couldn’t get fat enough for Hook”

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
This a joke of a reply?
He isn’t exactly going to come out a couple days after being sacked and bag the coach while he was looking for a new team.

“I was sacked because I couldn’t get fat enough for Hook”
These are his own words, which were backed up by people whom did actually know the inside workings at the Broncos.

Gagai's behaviour, even if not of the Josh Dugan or Blake Ferguson kind, was out of control, and the decision was made despite the fact that all the stakeholders at the club (including Hook) believed in his talent and future, reflected on the fact that they had just signed him to a new contract only weeks before.

If you actually believe that a professional organisation like the Broncos, with someone like Paul White at the helm, was going to release a player they just signed because he wouldn't eat junk food, I've got a bridge to sell you...

Q

QLD JANE

NYC Player
Jun 1, 2017
These are his own words, which were backed up by people whom did actually know the inside workings at the Broncos.

Gagai's behaviour, even if not of the Josh Dugan or Blake Ferguson kind, was out of control, and the decision was made despite the fact that all the stakeholders at the club (including Hook) believed in his talent and future, reflected on the fact that they had just signed him to a new contract only weeks before.

If you actually believe that a professional organisation like the Broncos, with someone like Paul White at the helm, was going to release a player they just signed because he wouldn't eat junk food, I've got a bridge to sell you...

He was still training with the Broncos after he was sacked.
He’s not exactly going to come out and bag Hook.
What does Paul White have anything to do with it?
It was Hook’s decision.

If Gagai’s weight wasn’t such an issue..why was his first question when he met WB was to ask him if he’s going to be weigh everyday?
Why does WB and other people at the club till this day believe he shouldnt have been sacked?

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008

What could one do with this bridge?

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
Interesting that only players who left the Broncos came out with that line, and many of the current players haven't repeated it. Besides, if this is a Hook trait, why isn't it occurring at the Panthers?

Despite him not being there, I doubt the club would appreciate current players blaming a former coach for ‘bad performances’. I dunno. That’s the only reason I can think of that may be the case as they view those former player not returning so they don’t care what’s said.

Hopefully Griffin’s learned from his mistakes.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
He was still training with the Broncos after he was sacked.
He’s not exactly going to come out and bag Hook.
What does Paul White have anything to do with it?
It was Hook’s decision.

If Gagai’s weight wasn’t such an issue..why was his first question when he met WB was to ask him if he’s going to be weigh everyday?
Why does WB and other people at the club till this day believe he shouldnt have been sacked?
WB was in Wollongong and Paul White (you know, the CEO of the club which had just re-signed Gagai, and Hook's boss) publicly supported the decision.

Gagai ignoring his own behaviour (well documented btw), and trying to make it a weight issue, doesn't make it so, but hey... that wouldn't suit the Hook junk food diet narrative.

Whether or not everyone agreed with the decision (which generated a lot of debate here on BHQ as well), is irrelevant to the reason behind it. Blaming it on anything other than discipline, is just deflection and an excuse for those who like to be hindsight heroes.

Q

QLD JANE

NYC Player
Jun 1, 2017
WB was in Wollongong and Paul White (you know, the CEO of the club which had just re-signed Gagai, and Hook's boss) publicly supported the decision.

Gagai ignoring his own behaviour (well documented btw), and trying to make it a weight issue, doesn't make it so, but hey... that wouldn't suit the Hook junk food diet narrative.

Whether or not everyone agreed with the decision (which generated a lot of debate here on BHQ as well), is irrelevant to the reason behind it. Blaming it on anything other than discipline, is just deflection and an excuse for those who like to be hindsight heroes.

I rather believe WB, current and ex Broncos players over a random on the internet making assumptions.

Quote from WB, end of discussion.

‘To this day, I honestly can’t understand why the Broncos let him go. A lot of people feel that way,” said Bennett ahead of Gagai’s Test debut in the World Cup opener tonight at AAMI Park.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I rather believe WB, current and ex Broncos players over a random on the internet making assumptions.

‘To this day, I honestly can’t understand why the Broncos let him go. A lot of people feel that way,” said Bennett ahead of Gagai’s Test debut in the World Cup opener tonight at AAMI Park.
Wayne Bennett wasn't at the Broncos at the time he wouldn't have any idea what went on...

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Despite him not being there, I doubt the club would appreciate current players blaming a former coach for ‘bad performances’. I dunno. That’s the only reason I can think of that may be the case as they view those former player not returning so they don’t care what’s said.

That's of course possible, and I'm sure there's a basis for the "smoke" as you put it, but I recall the Gagai situation quite well, as I was one of the kid's staunchest supporters at the time, and heard multiple accounts of his "irresponsibility" and multiple warnings before Hook's decision.

Q

QLD JANE

NYC Player
Jun 1, 2017

There are current Broncos players but it’s unprofessional to bag an ex coach while still playing for the club.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

LOL, that's funny, in particular that bold part.

Hypothetical:
Imagine 3 years from now, there's a new coach at the Broncos, whom, as Ashley Taylor starts as the Australian halfback, says:
"To this day, I honestly can't understand why the Broncos let him go. A lot of people feel that way", and then proceeds to blame it on Bennett's relationship with Boyd (that's a popular one), instead of the fact that Wayne did it for the kid's sake, as his chances to break into the halves at the time were very slim.

You argue against and some internet random newbie in a forum tells you:
Quote from [insert new Broncos coach name here], end of discussion.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Would be interesting the reaction from people if the roles were reversed and it was Bennett that had the players on the weight-gain-3000.

Unread

Active Now

• Fatboy
  • Wolfie
  • Tim K
  • broncos4life
  • Galah
  • Browny
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Santa
  • Lostboy
  • Strop
  • winslow_wong
  • Fozz
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Alec
  • Bucking Beads
  • kiwibronco
  • FACTHUNT
  • Harry Sack
  • Stix
  • leon.bott
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.