Wayne Bennett: Gagai shouldn’t have been sacked

Q

QLD JANE

NYC Player
Jun 1, 2017
For you again, Porthoz.

“To this day, I honestly can’t understand why the Broncos let him go. A lot of people feel that way,” said Bennett ahead of Gagai’s Test debut in the World Cup opener tonight at AAMI Park.”

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
For you again, Porthoz.

“To this day, I honestly can’t understand why the Broncos let him go. A lot of people feel that way,” said Bennett ahead of Gagai’s Test debut in the World Cup opener tonight at AAMI Park.”
That's cute, but I'm not into messiah reverence, sorry.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
For you again, Porthoz.

Because he does know what went on behind the scenes ... HE WASN'T THERE ... he has one side of the story ... the side of the story that was trying to get a contract with him at that.

Gagai wasn't likely to tell Bennett "Hook sacked my because I didn't give a shit about my training. Etc"

Q

QLD JANE

NYC Player
Jun 1, 2017
That's cute, but I'm not into messiah reverence, sorry.

I’m still looking for that quote from Hook
“I did not sack Gagai because he couldn’t get fat enough for me”

Can you please provide it?

Here’s WB direct quote again in case you missed it
‘To this day, I honestly can’t understand why the Broncos let him go. A lot of people feel that way,” said Bennett ahead of Gagai’s Test debut in the World Cup opener tonight at AAMI Park.

Q

QLD JANE

NYC Player
Jun 1, 2017
Because he does know what went on behind the scenes ... HE WASN'T THERE ... he has one side of the story ... the side of the story that was trying to get a contract with him at that.

Gagai wasn't likely to tell Bennett "Hook sacked my because I didn't give a shit about my training. Etc"

Read the quote. “A lot of people feel that way”

‘To this day, I honestly can’t understand why the Broncos let him go. A lot of people feel that way,” said Bennett ahead of Gagai’s Test debut in the World Cup opener tonight at AAMI Park.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I’m still looking for that quote from Hook
“I did not sack Gagai because he couldn’t get fat enough for me”

Can you please provide it?

Here’s WB direct quote again in case you missed it
I have provided a quote from him AND Gagai stating the reason was ill discipline at the time it occurred. I have Paul White's concurrent support, but apparently...

trumps that, and is gospel.

P.S. Do you go door to door trying to flog the Watch Tower to people? If not, I reckon you could be really good at it, especially with your repetitive quoting talent!

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Read the quote. “A lot of people feel that way”

He didn't say a lot of "Broncos" feel that way...

For all we know it is every one at the Knights that feel that way ... but they only saw his attitude after he got his wake up call.

Q

QLD JANE

NYC Player
Jun 1, 2017
I have provided a quote from him AND Gagai stating the reason was ill discipline at the time it occurred. I have Paul White's concurrent support, but apparently...

trumps that, and is gospel.

P.S. Do you go door to door trying to flog the Watch Tower to people? If not, I reckon you could be really good at it, especially with your repetitive quoting talent!

I’m still looking for you provide me the quote from Hook, “ I did not sack Gagai because he couldn’t get fat enough for me”

Q

QLD JANE

NYC Player
Jun 1, 2017
He didn't say a lot of "Broncos" feel that way...

For all we know it is every one at the Knights that feel that way ... but they only saw his attitude after he got his wake up call.

Haha what???

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Haha what???

what don't you understand ... nowhere in your quote does Bennett say that a lot of Broncos can't understand why Gagai was sacked. he uses the word "people"

contrary to your belief, Bennett doesn't know the goings on behind the scenes of every club in the NRL, nor does he know whats in the mind of every coach.player in the game.

and remember, he didn't leave the Broncos originally in the best of circumstances.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I’m still looking for you provide me the quote from Hook, “ I did not sack Gagai because he couldn’t get fat enough for me”
Yeah, I tried to navigate this charade, but it's getting late, so...

giphy.gif

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Interesting that only players who left the Broncos came out with that line, and many of the current players haven't repeated it. Besides, if this is a Hook trait, why isn't it occurring at the Panthers?

Why didn’t the players who stayed publicly out their dissatisfaction over training methods? Er, gee. Perhaps they wanted to keep their jobs or something?

Why do they not say it now? Maybe it didn’t happen. Or maybe there is no point to re-living past issues over a former coach who got sacked largely for his failure to deliver expected performance, and they want to move forward in a positive way?

If you believe the stories there was a senior player group revolt against Henjak that led to his eventual demise (along with, again, lack of delivery of expected performance). Now those players aren’t going on and on about that either... Do we assume that didn’t happen or the players there at the time just don’t see much benefit in digging up old issues?

As to why it isn’t happening now? Well I would suggest he learned a few lessons from his Broncos experience and his unintended sabbatical, he has Gould looking over his shoulder constantly and he is not going to allow that sort of rubbish to occur to the club.

Hook must know with his own experience and Cleary’s experience at the Panthers that you are never that far away from being unemployed as an NRL head coach and I expect if the man has any sense at all he will be doing absolutely everything in his power to not make the same mistakes he made last time. His chance at a 3rd NRL gig would be unbelievably slight I would imagine, should the Panthers flick him...

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Why didn’t the players who stayed publicly out their dissatisfaction over training methods? Er, gee. Perhaps they wanted to keep their jobs or something?

Why do they not say it now? Maybe it didn’t happen. Or maybe there is no point to re-living past issues over a former coach who got sacked largely for his failure to deliver expected performance, and they want to move forward in a positive way?

If you believe the stories there was a senior player group revolt against Henjak that led to his eventual demise (along with, again, lack of delivery of expected performance). Now those players aren’t going on and on about that either... Do we assume that didn’t happen or the players there at the time just don’t see much benefit in digging up old issues?

As to why it isn’t happening now? Well I would suggest he learned a few lessons from his Broncos experience and his unintended sabbatical, he has Gould looking over his shoulder constantly and he is not going to allow that sort of rubbish to occur to the club.

Hook must know with his own experience and Cleary’s experience at the Panthers that you are never that far away from being unemployed as an NRL head coach and I expect if the man has any sense at all he will be doing absolutely everything in his power to not make the same mistakes he made last time. His chance at a 3rd NRL gig would be unbelievably slight I would imagine, should the Panthers flick him...
I'm not assuming anything, and I certainly won't be accusing people of anything without actual knowledge or proof of it.

Although we have only heard this from disgruntled players and people who had an axe to grind with Hook, there certainly may and most likely will be a basis for the rumours about the bulking program, as there may and most likely will be hyperbole over it. Like most other times, the truth will probably be somewhere in between.

There should be no reason to bring up past issues over a former coach who got sacked? Why are Gagai and Bennett bringing it up then?
It's poor form and a shit excuse for Gagai to be now denying what he admitted to previously, and was relatively common knowlege as the real reason for his sacking. It's inelegant and hypocritical from Bennett to be criticising a colleague based on hearsay from a player who was sacked from the club for repeated ill discipline.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
I'm not assuming anything, and I certainly won't be accusing people of anything without actual knowledge or proof of it.

Although we have only heard this from disgruntled players and people who had an axe to grind with Hook, there certainly may and most likely will be a basis for the rumours about the bulking program, as there may and most likely will be hyperbole over it. Like most other times, the truth will probably be somewhere in between.

There should be no reason to bring up past issues over a former coach who got sacked? Why are Gagai and Bennett bringing it up then?
It's poor form and a shit excuse for Gagai to be now denying what he admitted to previously, and was relatively common knowlege as the real reason for his sacking. It's inelegant and hypocritical from Bennett to be criticising a colleague based on hearsay from a player who was sacked from the club for repeated ill discipline.

Obviously it could only be hearsay from a disgruntled ex-player... I’m guessing there is zero possibility he spoke to Paul White about it, nor any other Broncos recruitment or conditioning staff...

I’m guessing he saw no difference with his own eyes between Broncos 2014 players when he coached against them to November 2014 when he started coaching them and getting them to the conditioning he wanted them to be...

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
I don't really see it as hypocritical. Bennett has always been lenient on talented yet lazy trainers. I believe his attitude was 'so long as they bring their boots on game day' or something to that effect. Gagai fits right into that mould. He's shown how good he is, making rep teams and killing it while playing for a triple-spoon Newcastle. Now that thinking may be stuck in the 90's but I think if Wayne was coach at the time, Gagai would still be here.

Principal/Dictator Hook is a completely different person and coach. I think he felt that it was his moment to show he control his players and was the right man for the club. A lot of players were happy with him, a lot also weren't it seems.

Both sides have their valid points. He obviously needed a kick up the arse (or several) but sacking him was the wrong move in my opinion. Hindsight is 20/20 sure, but he was always a good player. Talent doesn't excuse him, but unless he's DUI'ing, involved with hard drugs or assaulting people, he didn't need to get booted. Play him in reggies for the rest of the year or until he shapes up. It's easy to equate it to a regular job, but most regular jobs have a much broader employee base. Compounding the issue was releasing him and not signing an equal replacement

Q

QLD JANE

NYC Player
Jun 1, 2017
I don't really see it as hypocritical. Bennett has always been lenient on talented yet lazy trainers. I believe his attitude was 'so long as they bring their boots on game day' or something to that effect. Gagai fits right into that mould. He's shown how good he is, making rep teams and killing it while playing for a triple-spoon Newcastle. Now that thinking may be stuck in the 90's but I think if Wayne was coach at the time, Gagai would still be here.

Principal/Dictator Hook is a completely different person and coach. I think he felt that it was his moment to show he control his players and was the right man for the club. A lot of players were happy with him, a lot also weren't it seems.

Both sides have their valid points. He obviously needed a kick up the arse (or several) but sacking him was the wrong move in my opinion. Hindsight is 20/20 sure, but he was always a good player. Talent doesn't excuse him, but unless he's DUI'ing, involved with hard drugs or assaulting people, he didn't need to get booted. Play him in reggies for the rest of the year or until he shapes up. It's easy to equate it to a regular job, but most regular jobs have a much broader employee base. Compounding the issue was releasing him and not signing an equal replacement

Exactly right.
WB even acknowledged Gagai was late for training at the Broncos.
Then you have to look at why he was late for training.
He was probably sick of getting fined for not getting fat enough.
Is it a sackable offense?
In WB eyes it’s not.

““I never had one issue with Dane. The only knock I ever heard is that he was late for training at Brisbane, but I can’t tell you the number of guys I’ve coached that were late for training as a 20-year-old.

“They would never have made it if I sacked them all.
“Wendell Sailor (Broncos wing legend) was the worst. I couldn’t get him to training on time, but you manage it and Wendell went on to have a great career.
“I’m elated for Dane making his debut (for Australia) because I know more than most what he has been through. All I ever promised him is that I would understand his situation. He won’t let Australia down.”

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Obviously it could only be hearsay from a disgruntled ex-player... I’m guessing there is zero possibility he spoke to Paul White about it, nor any other Broncos recruitment or conditioning staff...

I’m guessing he saw no difference with his own eyes between Broncos 2014 players when he coached against them to November 2014 when he started coaching them and getting them to the conditioning he wanted them to be...
You mean the same Paul White who came out in support of Hook's decision at the time, or are you talking about Milford's conditioning?

Active Now

• Behind enemy lines
  • Robboi_321
  • Wolfie
  • broncos4life
  • phoenix
  • BroncosAlways
  • Mr Fourex
  • Scdeac
  • Harry Sack
  • leon.bott
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • mrslong
  • johnny plath
  • Maroon4life
  • Redfern_1980
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Aldo
  • Organix
  • Seibs
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.