Wayne Bennett: Gagai shouldn’t have been sacked

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Didn't Gagai continue to train with the Broncos after being sacked? I'm also sure that the Broncos aided him in signing a new contract elsewhere. I feel like because of that whoever he signed with would have been made well aware of the problems he had.

I don't really think there's any justifying making someone drink two litres of milk before bed or eating packets of ham just to put on weight. It just isn't a healthy way to do it. It seems like these guys were being forced to eat until they were sick. Put yourself in their shoes for a second and that sounds fucking horrible.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Don’t worry mate, I think everyone realises
you’re taking the opportunity to attack Bennett rather than defend Hook.
I say it like I see it, and I know this is a place where Bennett's turds are regarded as precious gems by many.
God forbid anyone criticised anything he says or does!

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Didn't Gagai continue to train with the Broncos after being sacked? I'm also sure that the Broncos aided him in signing a new contract elsewhere. I feel like because of that whoever he signed with would have been made well aware of the problems he had.

I don't really think there's any justifying making someone drink two litres of milk before bed or eating packets of ham just to put on weight. It just isn't a healthy way to do it. It seems like these guys were being forced to eat until they were sick. Put yourself in their shoes for a second and that sounds fucking horrible.
I'd just like to know why you, who normally criticises anything said without proof, just assume the ham and milk stories are true...?

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I'd just like to know why you, who normally criticises anything said without proof, just assume the ham and milk stories are true...?
The ham thing was definitely said by a player a while back. I just can't remember who or where it was said.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
The ham thing was definitely said by a player a while back. I just can't remember who or where it was said.

Wasn't it Thaiday? Waking them up at like 2am or something to eat half a kilo of ham or something?

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Wasn't it Thaiday? Waking them up at like 2am or something to eat half a kilo of ham or something?
I feel like he wouldn't have complained about it. Maybe one of the Sims brothers?

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I feel like he wouldn't have complained about it. Maybe one of the Sims brothers?

I'm not sure, but it was certainly someone being woken up at a stupid hour to eat way too much ham.

TonyTheJugoslav

TonyTheJugoslav

QCup Player
Nov 15, 2014
I'm not sure, but it was certainly someone being woken up at a stupid hour to eat way too much ham.
It was Tariq Sims talking how he went from a skinny winger to second row. However he did not say it in a negative way more that it was good for his career. He was not criticising Griffindorf.

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
Hook is Gould's figurehead at Penrith, which is why you don't see them chock full of fat bastards. I would bet money on Gould letting the staff actually trained to handle the players' physiques and physical performance deal with it.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
I can’t believe I read all that, what a waste of time because we are all missing the elephant in the room here:

2 litres of full cream milk before bed??? If that were me, I’d be throwing up or having diarrhea before my head hit the pillow.
Same. It was a credit to our coaching staff the careful handling of this milk ingestion.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Hook is Gould's figurehead at Penrith, which is why you don't see them chock full of fat bastards. I would bet money on Gould letting the staff actually trained to handle the players' physiques and physical performance deal with it.

Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, Hook is only coach by title. Gould is the real coach.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
So now Paul White is the hypocrite, and Wayne's player conditioning is only valid when it's not his players whom are bulked up, like Milford was last season and this (by Bennett's own admission), to the point he became a running joke on this same forum?

You are putting words in my mouth... Is Paul White a hyporcrite for supporting a coach until it’s decided he is no longer up to the job? Of course not, but does that automatically mean he agrees with every single decision Hook ever made as it seems it has to be according to your opinion? Of course not. Why do you think he sacked him?

The difference with Wayne and the Milford situation is that Milford’s weight gain was on him. It was not a directed approach to training and conditioning such as that Hook introduced to many player’s detriment, as far as I am aware...

You seem to think I'm defending Griffin's methods.
This went from Gagai was sacked because of pressure to eat junk food, to how both coaches approach their job.

As others have said it is as plain as day your only real interest in this thread is to criticise Bennett for stating what he believes...

The corollary to Bennett’s position is that Gagai has gone from strength to strength since being removed from the Hook led system to the point he has become a regular Origin player and starting Kangaroo and the obvious implication, that we would be a stronger club with him than we are without him and players have not been sacked for far worse indiscretions than Gagai ever managed.

Even if there may be truth to Hook's demands to bulk up, the junk food stories are hyperbole, and Gagai was not released because of diet or pressure to put on weight, but his inability to abide by the rules everyone else was abiding to.

Even? There was little doubt it was happening in that period. You could see players had put on size, yet this didn’t improve their performances...

As to hyperbole or otherwise only those directly involved will know, but there is only one way to put on bulk quickly and that is to eat a ton of food, usually high in carbohydrates and protein as boxers do with pizza, pasta, meat, poultry, dairy and so forth. That doesn’t build lean muscle however, only extensive resistance training does and that takes time to develop real gains. The sort of gains 1910 has referred to, 5 years down the track...

Last edited:
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Hook was a fucking nightmare and he reduced this great organization to mere laughing stock. Those who defend him have very short memories indeed.

still not our worst coach ever

Active Now

• Behind enemy lines
  • bert_lifts
  • Galah
  • Battler
  • Waynesaurus
  • I bleed Maroon
  • mieko
  • johnny plath
  • Allo
  • Aldo
  • Sproj
  • Fatboy
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosMan
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bazza
  • LittleDavey
  • MrMoore
  • Jazza
... and 54 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.