Wayne Bennett: Gagai shouldn’t have been sacked

Q

QLD JANE

NYC Player
Jun 1, 2017
Our sources are from the player in question at the time. And from the relevant club (the Broncos) at the time. Stop pretending you know anything more than we do.

The player in question at the time?
A couple days after being sacked while still training with the Broncos, you expect him to come out and bag Hook and reveal the real reason why he was sacked?
You’re dumber than I thought.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
The player in question at the time?
A couple days after being sacked while still training with the Broncos, you expect him to come out and bag Hook and reveal the real reason why he was sacked?
You’re dumber than I thought.

There we have it.
You’re more stupid than I first thought.

What are you a trollbot?

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Does the name Ivan Henjak ring a bell ... we were on the wrong end of more thrashings under him than any other coach... reportedly also cost us Inglis

According to Inglis himself (and Hodges) it was Bruno Cullen that was the one that dropped the ball on Inglis, however I am not defending Henjak, he was awful.

I also agree we had games that were absolutely diabolical under Henjak. However the team performed better across the entire seasons he was in charge, than they did under Griffin during his worst season, plus Henjak had a winning percentage of 56% while Griffin had a winning percentage of 53% so with those in mind, I award the official worst Broncos coach title to Griffin...

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Personally I'm just wondering whether @QLD JANE is from QLD and is in fact called Jane. I also feel like eating some Ham. No 2L milk for me though guys.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
According to Inglis himself (and Hodges) it was Bruno Cullen that was the one that dropped the ball on Inglis, however I am not defending Henjak, he was awful.

Yeah I'd say Cullen was really the one who dropped the ball with regards with Inglis, he would have been signed, sealed and delivered under John Ribot, Shane Edwards or Paul White.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

I also agree we had games that were absolutely diabolical under Henjak. However the team performed better across the entire seasons he was in charge, than they did under Griffin during his worst season, plus Henjak had a winning percentage of 56% while Griffin had a winning percentage of 53% so with those in mind, I award the official worst Broncos coach title to Griffin...

Henjak also had Lockyer for his entire coaching career with us, including a season where we missed the finals

the one season that Griffin had Lockyer, it was only Beales knee that stopped a GF appearence

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Henjak also had Lockyer for his entire coaching career with us, including a season where we missed the finals

the one season that Griffin had Lockyer, it was only Beales knee that stopped a GF appearence

Manly won the comp that year. Obviously we would have performed better in the Prelim with him, but there was no guarantee we win that game even with the great one.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Both Griffin and Henjak are the biggest numpty coaches in the universe, who really cares who's worse. Henjak was just not liked by anyone, not even his mother, even if he did have some ideas and a footy brain. Griffin was everybody's buddy, but was absolutely abysmal as a coach, one of the dumbest I've ever seen (Hoffman in the halves is probably close to the worst coaching move of all time, and it went for almost a full year)

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
So? He had deficiencies that put us in the back foot just about every time he had the ball kicked to him. Hook tried to fix that. You don’t just ignore those deficiencies because he did this one thing one time.
No. Not that he became too slow to evade the oncoming defence..? If you watch gagai now, he's effective due to his evades initial contract. Not fights initial contact with force / power. Big difference taking an explosive player and trying to convert him into a power player.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
People really have short memories, and it's so easy to hang shit on Griffin. He has plenty of flaws, but Gagai's dismissal isn't one of them. That kid needed a change of environment by his own admission, and although it cost the Broncos, it was in Dane's favour.

It's piss poor from anyone, especially Bennett, to blame Griffin for something he did for Gagai's own benefit, when he is the first to normally look after the player before the club... in fact, it's quite hypocritical, when we just lost a kid we should have never released in the first place.
He needed a change of scenery because Griffin's culture was crap. He was a hard ass task master using the same tactics on every player thinking everyone responds to the same stimulus. And they don't. Some need nurturing. Some need a kick up the arse. Bennett is a good manager of personalities and culture. Why as soon as hook left, our squad went to another level. Making a gf after just scraping into the 8

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
I bet you can find a quote from Alex Glenn as well about cutting out junk food. It will be in relation to Sonny Bill Williams. Glenn was a hook project from younger years. Clearly that mentality was in him from jr days

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
He needed a change of scenery because Griffin's culture was crap. He was a hard ass task master using the same tactics on every player thinking everyone responds to the same stimulus. And they don't. Some need nurturing. Some need a kick up the arse. Bennett is a good manager of personalities and culture. Why as soon as hook left, our squad went to another level. Making a gf after just scraping into the 8
All true, no one is denying that.
Doesn't change the fact he screwed the pooch one too many times, despite multiple warnings, not because he was up at night and in the morning trying to fatten up...

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
No. Not that he became too slow to evade the oncoming defence..? If you watch gagai now, he's effective due to his evades initial contract. Not fights initial contact with force / power. Big difference taking an explosive player and trying to convert him into a power player.

He doesn't bullock through defenders like a forward, but he bumps them off and gets away, as opposed to getting rag-dolled. He wouldn't be as effective as he is now if he didn't have his level of strength.

I don't think anyone will dispute that they are at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of player management. But people are all too quick to ignore the fact that Hook's Plan A and Plan B for a five-eighth both got fucked over in the 2014 off-season, and the salary cap is just too restrictive for teams to have a top-line Plan C.

Q

QLD JANE

NYC Player
Jun 1, 2017
I bet you can find a quote from Alex Glenn as well about cutting out junk food. It will be in relation to Sonny Bill Williams. Glenn was a hook project from younger years. Clearly that mentality was in him from jr days

Just ignore Porthoz, he has no sources.
He’s just making crap up as he goes.

Quote from Gagai himself:

“I really struggled putting on weight. They wanted big outside backs so I’d stay up late trying to eat, I’d get up in the early hours of the morning to eat. Then that just got a bit tough and I was late to a few sessions.”

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Gagai also initially talked of mistakes he made off the field as being the reason for his sacking no mention the bulking program ... so was he lying then or is he lying now.

Only one of his two stories can be true.

Unread

Active Now

• Battler
  • Brocko
  • Organix
  • Allo
  • eazy-duzzit
  • Mr Fourex
  • Rambstien
  • The Boss
  • Pablo
  • Behind enemy lines
  • broncs30
  • bert_lifts
  • Lozza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.