MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Discussion in 'Rugby League Talk' started by I bleed Maroon, Aug 1, 2018.

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

1. Yes

55.8%
  2. No

44.2%
    Are you being deliberately obtuse, not reading things properly, or are you really tired or drunk? In my original post I stated that there were four vacancies now at Souths arising from Furner moving to England and Seibold bringing three assistants with him. Clearly it was always Seibold's intention to bring those staff members with him.

soup likes this.
  1. uptheguts

uptheguts QCup Player

Bennett is gone and surely that is the best thing for everyone concerned. The unfortunate thing is that Seibold inherits Bennett's somewhat clunky playing roster which still does not include a proven consistent game manager.

Lebbo73 likes this.
  2. Mmmm, I don't actually believe that's correct. I believe, wrongly or rightly that the Bronco's intended to move WB on for 2019 probably at the very moment he announced he had signed at Souths. I think the Bronco's were actively working to get the switch going asap. Like everyone else who liked/likes WB and his antics I feel a tad disappointed that he apparently lied but we plebs know so very little about what's been going on backstage. I don't think WB was coaching anyone, perhaps putting some tentative ideas forward but no more so than officials unofficially putting stuff in place for AS for when he came to Brisbane.

No matter, I too am a Bronco's fan and want what's best for the team, first and foremost. Having said that, I want WB to absolutely achieve goals at South's and if he looks a worldbeater next year I will derive a little pleasure at that. Mind you, if it's down to the Bronco's and Souths then it will be, **** YOU WAYNE, **** YOU RUSTY CROWE AND **** YOU SOUTHS ha ha

Cult3 and Socnorb like this.
    Oh please, everyone was working towards the same goal, which was the early coach swap. There was no hypocrisy or any problem with the club and Wayne making plans for that outcome, until he torpedoed it, blatantly lied about double dipping, and ultimately shot himself in the foot in that process.

No ifs and buts, I'm sure everyone involved could've done better, but trying to justify Wayne's actions and excusing them with other people's lesser failures, is akin to cover the sun with a sieve.
    This is as justified a sacking as I've seen in the game.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Lebbo73 and mrslong like this.
  3. broncos4life

broncos4life International Rep

Yep, the fact that Bennett isn’t getting a payout is all the proof anyone should need.

4. Cult3

Cult3 State of Origin Captain

He is though, just not all of it.

5. He's getting $300,000 for image rights isn't he? Nothing i nregard to an actual contract payout, apparently, according to useless journos.

6. Dash

Dash NRL Player

Brisbane
    I reckon "image rights" is code for "shut up and go away".

7. Morkel

Morkel

So you're agreeing that he was in his rights to plan ahead should the immediate swap eventuate. Your issue comes down to (1) him attempting to thwart that outcome, and (2) lying about it.

On (1), he had a contract for 2019, and he had made it clear that his preference was to stay. He had also made it clear that he would not step down. In choosing to stay, you may perceive that as "torpedoing" it, but for mine, with a contract, and after literally being asked by the Broncos what his decision was, he had absolutely every right to state his preference - which is something he never once wavered from.

And (2), ideally, yes, he should have made the obligatory "no comment" when questioned. Because there was no answer that would have satisfied people. My issue is that the blowtorch that was applied to Bennett was never applied elsewhere. Why weren't the Broncos officials ever hounded multiple times a day about whether they were working behind the scenes for an immediate switch? The answer is they likely were, but never fielded the calls or refused to answer the questions. But had they answered the questions, you can bet your life they would have stuck to the official story, exactly like Bennett did.

One final thing - the terms of Bennett's sacking is "confidential". Some details have been leaked. But I highly doubt the outcome was a surprise to Bennett. In fact I have serious doubts that he was not actually consulted. His one requirement would have been that he doesn't go willingly, that they'd have to sack him. Deliberately being out of contact for an extended period of time would be a great way to sell it. His own words allude to exactly that:

"I’m pleased to be here and I’m pleased I came on my terms in the sense that I didn’t ask to leave the the Broncos, I was sacked or asked to leave.”

8. Accept

Accept NRL Player

Sawtell
    According to the media he isn't, not that they would be privy to that anyways. Bennett is reportedly worth 26 million even after the divorce settlement so he will manage regardless. I once knew a guy who wasn't worth $26. Me at age 18.

Huge, Sirlee oldman and Cult3 like this.
  9. Cult3

Cult3 State of Origin Captain

Some parts of the media are saying he's getting 300k as a payout, some are saying it's for image rights and I bet you can guess which ones are saying he will get nothing.

Accept likes this.
  10. broncos4life

broncos4life International Rep

He is getting his image rights, nothing else. They cannot deny him his image rights.

11. I am agreeing he was in his rights to plan ahead, but only if his intention was to indeed move to Souths, which appears to be what everyone believed, given even his ancillary staff arrangements were being undertaken. You don't do that without his tacit approval.
    However, if his intention was to remain at the Broncos, he was not in his rights to plan ahead. Can't have the cake and eat it too. It is pretty clear that he was playing both sides, and burned himself.

Of course the terms are confidential. Those things are never public. His image rights can't be taken away of course, but it appears he won't get a cent from the rest of his contract as head coach. That is a clear sign the sacking was totally justified.

Btw, how do you reckon he was consulted about his sacking, via smoke signals?

12. FWIW, I genuinely believe the Rabbitohs will be a threat next season.

CaptainHook likes this.
  13. upthebroncs

upthebroncs QCup Player

IMG_7884.PNG Bold moves from Seibold.

Good to see from Seibold.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  14. Foordy

Foordy

the offices that have been cleared out were probably JD and Hickmans who we already knew about and who are likely to follow Bennett

Harry Sack likes this.
  15. upthebroncs

upthebroncs QCup Player

Open the windows..get some fresh air flowing through to blow out the cobwebs.. It was getting awfully stuffy in HQ

16. 1910

1910 State of Origin Rep

Richardson told Bennett that he was happy with what they had even minus the staff that went to Brisbane. The four Broncos staff that are on leave are on leave until it can be decided if they're needed.

Seibold is being thorough in deciding but he needs time to investigate but had to start straight away with people that know how to do the job how he wants it done.

17. Lebbo73

Lebbo73 NYC Player

They’ll finish anywhere from 6th to 10th next season. We’ll probably finish anywhere from 2nd to 8th. I don’t know if our young forwards are ready to produce consistent footy yet. It could be a couple of more seasons yet before they mature.