MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I don't have any issue at all with how Bennett has tried to play this. The process the board underwent during the season to try and find a new coach for 2020+ while at the same time refusing to confirm that Bennett would not extended beyond 2019 was a disgrace and an insult to everyone's intelligence, so it's fair enough that Bennett has dragged them through this. I could not care less about whatever was happening with Souths, Seibold and their situation.

At the end of the day - both clubs now have new coaches who are both (hopefully for our sake) decent at what they do, and I doubt the saga of the past few weeks will have any additional impact on either clubs' fortunes for next year once they move on and start training.

They confirmed multiple times that he would not be retained past 2019, Bennett just didn’t like the answer each time.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
What about Morris and white telling him he is the Broncos coach for 2019 then making plans with souths to boot him ? How is the board not telling lies aswell.

Once again, are you ignoring the part where Bennett was a part of those discussions and aware of them and was placing conditions about transition of staff as part of him agreeing to the swap??? One of the Directors was dealing with South Sydney to satisfy Bennett's conditions.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
They did imply Wayne’s behaviour made them change their minds. I don’t think we will ever get the full story, but it was made clear Wayne could not coexist with his employers.

Not saying Wayne did or did not do things the right way but it all started when white chased Bellamy. So for all the people saying that the board aren't to blame are kidding themselves.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Once again, are you ignoring the part where Bennett was a part of those discussions and aware of them and was placing conditions about transition of staff as part of him agreeing to the swap??? One of the Directors was dealing with South Sydney to satisfy Bennett's conditions.

Yeah in the end but they didn't want him there from the start. Why tell him he is the 2019 coach, when clearly they wanted him gone from the start. I'll tell you, because they didn't want to pay him out that's why.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Apparently Wayne was sacked over voicemail.

That’s savage.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Common sense has fought its way through the madness but all parties involved in the Great Coach Swap leave with severe damage to their reputations.
Anthony Seibold has the keys to the Broncos kingdom but the question lingers – is he the right man for the job?
The shamelessly ambitious Seibold got where he wanted in the end but people closer to the action than I am have been less than impressed with the way he has handled himself.
They saw the way he cracked badly under pressure over the last few days and have lingering doubts whether he has the temperament suited to the acutely stressful job of coaching the Broncos.
When it comes to pressure, as the saying goes, he ain’t seen nothing yet.
bea2363d21035c71eb266c699a408b83

Wayne Bennett and Anthony Seibold both copped hits to their reputation.
Deciding who is going to play left centre or how to run a decoy play have never been the issues that have decided the longevity of Broncos coaches.
It’s how they handle the off-field pressures that often counts most, which is where Seibold has been exposed in this issue.
For all of his foibles, many of which have been exposed in this saga, this was one of Bennett’s great strengths.
Everyone played the victim in this story. The truth is everyone was at fault.
It’s hard to have much sympathy for Seibold, Bennett or either club.
63c3ea0e7d6d74a25c0e14423425de32

Brisbane Broncos CEO Paul White announces Wayne Bennett's sacking.
Because of its obsession for planning one or two years ahead rugby league has been heading for a debacle like this for some time.
Bennett confused everyone by being too smart for his own good.
Bennett had my sympathy for a long way in this debate.
He had a contract at the Broncos for next season and he should not have had to apologise for keeping his word and staying at Red Hill.
But Sunday’s exceptional interview between Phil Rothfield and Seibold shifted the landscape and cast a damning spotlight on some of Bennett’s public statements.
In a press conference last Friday, Bennett said categorically he never told Souths he was joining them.
Well, you could have fooled Souths.
2f564b5b347974afe9b5b0cbf5bae3f4

a17fdb0b72e890f43a1fa3417a61190a

Coach swap's emotional toll
Seibold claimed he was told twice by Rabbitohs football manager Shane Richardson that Bennett had agreed to join Souths next season; that Bennett had been talking to Rabbitoh players Damien Cook, Alex Johnston, Sam Burgess; that Bennett had been consulted in the possible recruitment of Liam Knight; that everything was so advanced Seibold cleaned out his desk on Thursday afternoon.
If it’s true Bennett never told Souths he was coming then why was he suddenly the key voice in recruitment?
I’m not sure who is responsible for all the half-truths in this.
The only thing we can guarantee is that there have been plenty of them.
The only relief is that it seems to be all over.
Agree with a lot of this from Craddock.
https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...a/news-story/5a4a07ec874e12d471fa72b7dcfa061a

Last edited:
Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Did you genuinely miss the fact that Bennett was aware of those discussions and was putting forward conditions about how staff were dealt with to ensure that they were covered in the swap or are you just being obtuse?
That's not relevant to my point at all, not sure if you're serious or not.
If Bennett was told by Morris/White that he was going be coach in 2019, then found out they were secretly negotiating his immediate dismissal, he might have found out, played along then did the Friday stunt as a final **** you.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
Absolutely disgusted with the Brisbane Broncos right now. I have been a supporter for over 20 years and never once have I not been proud of us as a club and team, until today. We have succumb to media pressure like simple weak minded fools. Sacking Wayne Bennett is a decision that many fans won't like. I'm all for planning for the future but Wayne built the Broncos and deserved to see out his contract. This is not the way you send off the greatest coach of all time. This is a sad and dark day in Brisbane Bronco history.
He hasn’t been the greatest coach of all time for the last 20 years.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
I'm glad Seibs has taken a back seat to all of this whole sorry saga and only spoken out at the 11th hour when he felt compelled to do so. He has never been caught up in the will he won't he storyline. Benny however, like his tired old on field tactics has finally succumbed to the drama of the NRL and the media will have a field day. In fact they will dine on this all next season.

At least we're garunteed to have League news dominate all other sports for headlines.
Yes, however he really didn’t have any on field tactics and I think you will find the media will be dining out on Redfern tucker from here on in, not Redhill tucker. Seibold of course will be another matter.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
Wayne is like the crazy ex. While you’re together, you’re blinded by the good, even great, times.

When it inevitably ends badly, they show their true narcissistic, victim-playing colours and you wonder how you never saw it. Or maybe you did and thought ‘nah that won’t happen to me’.

Last edited:
ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Sounds pretty legit, no one has done the right thing. And our apparent saviour has been exposed , and he hasn't even started yet.
Maybe we should expect a Paul Crawley article citing an anonymous source exposing the truth about the Andrew Gee affair or how Broncos have been cheating the cap for thirty years?

Unread

Active Now

• lynx000
  • Midean
  • Harry Sack
  • Skyblues87
  • Big Del
  • Justwin
  • broncsgoat
  • Bucking Beads
  • mrslong
  • scobie
  • Culhwch
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.