MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
My perception of Bennett hasn't changed. Despite residing in Wollongong for a few years, I knew he wasn't a saint and merely human like the rest of us.

Unless something else comes to light, his recent tenure as coach has done nothing but strengthened his legacy at the club. Despite everything that occurred at Newcastle, Bennett came to the club and left it a better place than he found it. Short of winning a premiership, I can't ask for much else.

Could you find a source for that?

https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/12/04/bennett-ive-come-to-souths-with-a-clear-conscience/

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/wayne-bennett-takes-charge-of-his-first-rabbitohs-training-se
ssion/news-story/8380db050d69741e5c291c166ebb840e

Flanked by John Sutton and Sam Burgess the 68-year-old fronted the media after training and said he was happy with his new home, and has a “clear conscience” about his Broncos exit.
“It was never part of the plan to come here early. I agreed to come here in 2020, so it was never on the agenda,” Bennett said when quizzed about joining the Bunnies a year earlier than his scheduled arrival in 2020.
“There was a lot going on behind the scenes (at Brisbane) which I wasn’t privy to and which was never at my instigation. I’m pleased to be here and I’m pleased I came on my terms in the sense that I didn’t ask to leave the the Broncos, I was sacked or asked to leave.”
Asked if he was heartbroken to leave the Broncos, Bennett said: “Do I look heartbroken?” before dropping the bomb he was actually pleased to be given the boot.
“I was happy to be sacked,” he said with a smile. “I’ll just leave it at that, I was happy.”

found a video of it on this link

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...g/news-story/2a901ed9b77e1360828e2f7724bb90fa

Last edited:
https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/12/04/bennett-ive-come-to-souths-with-a-clear-conscience/

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/wayne-bennett-takes-charge-of-his-first-rabbitohs-training-se
ssion/news-story/8380db050d69741e5c291c166ebb840e

Flanked by John Sutton and Sam Burgess the 68-year-old fronted the media after training and said he was happy with his new home, and has a “clear conscience” about his Broncos exit.
“It was never part of the plan to come here early. I agreed to come here in 2020, so it was never on the agenda,” Bennett said when quizzed about joining the Bunnies a year earlier than his scheduled arrival in 2020.
“There was a lot going on behind the scenes (at Brisbane) which I wasn’t privy to and which was never at my instigation. I’m pleased to be here and I’m pleased I came on my terms in the sense that I didn’t ask to leave the the Broncos, I was sacked or asked to leave.”
Asked if he was heartbroken to leave the Broncos, Bennett said: “Do I look heartbroken?” before dropping the bomb he was actually pleased to be given the boot.
“I was happy to be sacked,” he said with a smile. “I’ll just leave it at that, I was happy.”

found a video of it on this link

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...g/news-story/2a901ed9b77e1360828e2f7724bb90fa

He is still fucking lying. It cannot be denied that he was planning to be there in 2019 yet he keeps bullshitting.

I was among them most vocal of those calling for Bennett to at best not be resigned or even sacked. I think it happened a year too late rather than a year too early. I copped quite a lot of vitriol for it but as Wayne himself would say, "my conscience is clear." Nothing personal. I even felt a little sorry for him at one stage. He just wouldn't let go. Being forced out after 25 years must be hard but the guy is already well passed retirement age.

But since the event it has just become fascicle. His initial statement about how he only wanted to do the right thing by the fans:aaaaa:. Sure Wayne, it had nothing at all to do with wanting a full payout:deal:. And then today about how he isn't sad and was happy to be sacked.

He has numerous opportunities to walk away with dignity. Should have accepted the back office job. Failing that, should have accepted whatever payout was on offer. Maybe negotiated for a little more as money, and a lot of it is so important to him. Failing that, shouldn't have held that ridiculous press conference after the deal for the swap had been arranged.

Failing all that, should have been (more) honest and said "I wanted to stay but wasn't to be." (no need to mention the payout) and then today should have been honest and said something to end of "of course I'm sad and dissapointed how it ended but I've got a new challenge now and looking forward to that."

That statement from Bennett that he was happy he was sacked is proof enough for me that he had clocked off when it comes to the Broncos. Clearly there was some ugly internal politics going on that the public wasn't privy to that was drawing his mind away from the on field issues, probably from awhile before his tiff with White hit the media right up to when he was sacked. It gives me a bit more comfort that the right call was made. It doesn't matter if you're the greatest coach of all time, if your mind is no longer committed to the job, your time is up.

However, I am still far from impressed that the club and anyone within it allowed this schoolyard garbage to carry on, especially when said club is renowned for its professionalism. That stuff is the realm of bottom feeders like Parramatta, Manly and the Bulldogs, not the Brisbane Broncos. I couldn't give two shits about private internal club politics. All I care about is the team, how they're performing and winning premierships. Because you know, it IS a football club.

So now the saga is over, we have a fresh coach and a fresh start. No more excuses. Get the team back to some level of quality and in a hurry or get the **** out and let someone in there who will.

Yawn on Wayne, its back to the tedium of an average NRL club in the big smoke vying for attention. I'm sorry to say but with the Burgess boys it will only get worse. They are unable to play the mistake free percentage footy you stake your game plan on.

But I don't think that is the case at all. Of course we do not know what goes on behind the scenes, but you can put things together to see if they make sense or not. They had agreed to the fact that he would be here in 2019 (it makes a lot of financial sense for them to keep him for 2019), but he keeps talking to Souths and essentially coaching them while apparently being committed to us. The ball was in his court and he was playing both sides.

You still don't know if he did it because the board were always planning to move him on .
Not one person on this forum atm can't know anything for sure.
One thing I do find odd is I haven't seen any posts from 1910 , Joe etc since this all went down.

You still don't know if he did it because the board were always planning to move him on .
Not one person on this forum atm can't know anything for sure.
One thing I do find odd is I haven't seen any posts from 1910 , Joe etc since this all went down.

So what are you saying? We can’t know anything for sure so don’t have an opinion or say anything at all?

That’s disappointing, @Nashy shut the forum down mate.

You really need to move on.

I’ll decide what I need to do, and seeing this is a discussion forum and I am posting in the relevant thread I will continue to do so. Nothing stopping you from not reading or using the ignore function.

I’ll decide what I need to do, and seeing this is a discussion forum and I am posting in the relevant thread I will continue to do so. Nothing stopping you from not reading or using the ignore function.

Ok , feel free to say and do whatever you want.

Active Now

• Bongo
  • Sproj
  • Pablo
  • bert_lifts
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Hurrijo
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Midean
  • Stix
  • Painin the Haas
  • Fitzy
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.