MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Broncos coming 8th - so why are we keeping Wayne? Please try to be consistent in your arguments.

The options available aren't any better sadly. I dont think he is doing as well as he should be, but at the same time there is a lot he is doing that we wont see the benefits from for probably a good 3-4 years i'd say. We are a fairly young side, and with that comes inconsistency, which has been our biggest issue. I just dont see anyone realistically who would do any better right now that we can get for next year.

I would like to know how the board has actually handled it before making a call on whether they handled it poorly or not.

What's going on in the media is out of the board's control and quite frankly, not their problem.

What they should be judged on is what is going on HQ.

I agree that the media has been particularly aggressive towards a lot of aspects leading into and during the 2018 season on a number of levels. That however doesn't mean they are free from criticism including how they handle themselves responding to that from the media particularly when in the past there have been examples of as difficult or even more difficult situations that were handled better and in the clubs best interests.

Last edited:
TPJ has actually been quoted as saying this. He loves Bennett and wants to play under him while ever he is still coaching

Quoted as saying he won't re-sign if Bennett isn't coach? I've read the other quotes about coming here to play for Wayne and so on but not what is being suggested here.

The options available aren't any better sadly. I dont think he is doing as well as he should be, but at the same time there is a lot he is doing that we wont see the benefits from for probably a good 3-4 years i'd say. We are a fairly young side, and with that comes inconsistency, which has been our biggest issue. I just dont see anyone realistically who would do any better right now that we can get for next year.
JD perhaps.
Has a great CV but it’s copped a bit of a hiding since joining the Broncs or so it seems.

On the Bird thing, wasn't he signed BEFORE the Broncs went lookign for a halfback? I'm seriously vague on those details but his signing certainly impacted on the ability to sign a Taylor / Maloney / Pearce I'm fairly sure...unless I dreamt it and made it up like the media.

But wasn't it:

1. Hunt gets massive offer from Dragons and leaves
2. Bird gets signed by Brissy for base salary of $15 million plus $20 million sign on bonus and $5 million match payments
3. Broncs chase Taylor who then re-signs with Titans on stupid money for a kid who is basically Soward.

Now I'm not saying that signing Taylor on stupid would have been a good decision, it wouldn't have been but with Bird's money, I really think Pearce could have been a real possibility or even a Maloney (extremely unlikely I know I know) or even a Green.

Broncos coming 8th - so why are we keeping Wayne? Please try to be consistent in your arguments.
8th best team in the world over the 30th best? I don't want to call your response stupid but...

By trying to get a coach to our club whilst we had our current coach still under contract for another year and then publicly declaring the interest. The smarter move would be to keep everything completely quite and if it panned out then make the announcement. Until then, let the media vultures circle all they want. This really is Whites final chance if he shafts Wayne here. He was in charge of Henjak and Griffen after Wayne. He cant have too many points in the bank left if he ***** this up again.

None of that is right.

White wasn't CEO until 2011- he sacked Henjak in February on his first day. It was February and promoting the assistant was pretty much the only option. Griffin had been at the 20's and Redcliffe and done a great job.

The approach to Bellamy leaked and the Broncos were honest, denying it for two years wouldn't have worked.

On the Bird thing, wasn't he signed BEFORE the Broncs went lookign for a halfback?

nope. we were chasing both Bird and Taylor at the same time.

one came to us for significantly less than he could have gotten elsewhere ... the other took the cash, with a view to permanently having September off.

p.s. at the time we signed Bird there was not even the slightest hint that either Pearce or Maloney would leave there clubs ... that all happened in the off-season

Last edited:
I can see how this is going to go already.

Bennett will walk, White will get Griffin back here, then the exact same thing that happened under his leadership last time will happen again. The team will consistently finish 8th - 10th, bow out in a whimper and let Griffin's coaching take all the heat for them playing like shit.

Either way you can forget about a premiership for the foreseeable future. The club at the moment just seems rudderless and out of ideas.

WTF ... you do realize that coaching appointments are made by the board, not the CEO (although, as he is on the board, he would have an input, but he would have to convince all other board members to get Griffin another shot ... which is unlikely)

None of that is right.

White wasn't CEO until 2011- he sacked Henjak in February on his first day. It was February and promoting the assistant was pretty much the only option. Griffin had been at the 20's and Redcliffe and done a great job.

The approach to Bellamy leaked and the Broncos were honest, denying it for two years wouldn't have worked.
Were they mates before he gave Griffin the job? Sounds like he has a bias that continues to get in the way of the best interests in the club.

How many good coaches are there in the NRL ?
I personally can only think of one. Craig Bellamy and he is signed up long term.
Any club surely would only replace a coach, if they thought they could get a better one.

Were they mates before he gave Griffin the job? Sounds like he has a bias that continues to get in the way of the best interests in the club.

Yeah they were mates- he was also CEO when Griffin got sacked too.

What's his bias that is currently harming the club?

How did White shit the bed? He tried to get Bellamy but Bellamy decided to stay in Melbourne.

Exactly.....he shit the bed. Not hard to see how.......he went after Bellamy .......and failed.

The only coach I would even contemplate at this stage is Maguire.

He's a hard nosed coach who has won a premiership using a very uncomplicated but highly effective system in this modern era.

The caveat being that he may not be a long term coach... IF you believe the media sensationalism that he "burnt out" his playing group.

I think his style of footy would suit the broncos players and is also a style that broncos fans are accustomed to and would enjoy ie fast and powerful attacking footy through the middle

Maguire is your typical bash and barge type coach. There is nothing modern about his style .

Yeah Barba was terrible at the Broncos because he was too big. Then he went to Cronulla and played unbelievably well.

Did he? How come the Sharks didn't resign him......and how come he's drifted off into RL oblivion?

Seibold coached Mackay the 50th best team in the world.
And he's still won nothing worthwhile yet. Let's see how he goes when the Burgiii start getting penalized for taking out the markers next year.

Active Now

• Santa
  • Tmac
  • Culhwch
  • Manofoneway
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • Ondi
  • rj9
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.