MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Yeah they were mates- he was also CEO when Griffin got sacked too.

What's his bias that is currently harming the club?
I didn't say that. But if Griffin is a chance of returning then even the thought of him coming back is hurting the club

Bennett rumors are getting clicks, conversation and more clicks. Bennett will be here in 2019.

The board and to a lesser extent Bennett have made a dog's breakfast out this all. Mostly the board.

Last edited:
nope. we were chasing both Bird and Taylor at the same time.

one came to us for significantly less than he could have gotten elsewhere ... the other took the cash, with a view to permanently having September off.

p.s. at the time we signed Bird there was not even the slightest hint that either Pearce or Maloney would leave there clubs ... that all happened in the off-season

Yes but that was the thing, had Bird not been signed, that money would have been available for Pearce or Maloney. Players go off contract all the time in the off season, always nice to have some cash there for if something like that happens, particularly in hindsight of having blown your cash on a banged up player in a position you don't really need to fill anyway.

We might have signed Bird as a luxury signing, but what top team actually makes luxury signings on massive cash? No one can figure out where he's even going to play.

Did he? How come the Sharks didn't resign him......and how come he's drifted off into RL oblivion?

there was the little issue of his 12 game suspension for cocaine ...

The Sharks actually tried to do something a bit dodgy as well (i know, big surprise right) ... they sacked him, the offered him a new contract for less money

Yes but that was the thing, had Bird not been signed, that money would have been available for Pearce or Maloney. Players go off contract all the time in the off season, always nice to have some cash there for if something like that happens, particularly in hindsight of having blown your cash on a banged up player in a position you don't really need to fill anyway.
Neither wanted to go too far away from Sydney apparently. That's one disadvantage the Broncos have that nobody likes to bring up.

we had a reported 750k that we offered Bird ... should have still been available, since we didn't sign anyone else ....

Pearce is reportedly on about $1 million a season at the Knights and surely you don't think we should have gotten near that.

with Maloney, I'm pretty sure while he has offers in Sydney, he is not moving anywhere else

They seemed to be a one hit wonder. I don't think they can make the step up.

I still think they are doing well. They just dont have the resources. That 2015 team got decimated after they won the premiership and interstate title. Parcell, Barba, Capewell, Cleeland, Griffin and McConachie all left iirc.

I still think they are doing well. They just dont have the resources. That 2015 team got decimated after they won the premiership and interstate title. Parcell, Barba, Capewell, Cleeland, Griffin and McConachie all left iirc.
That group didn't end up going on to do much though

That group didn't end up going on to do much though

Shows what a good job the Walker brothers did with them. I actually think they would do really well in the NRL with a better standard of player, but i really dont think any club will have the guts to appoint them. Like i said before, considering the resources they have compared to some of the other sides they are pretty competitive.

Did he? How come the Sharks didn't resign him......and how come he's drifted off into RL oblivion?
Serious the sharks attack was built around Barba. Of the 99 tries they scored Barba scored 16 tries and was credited with 19-21 try assists pending where you get your stats... that has Barba directly involved in 36% of their tries for the year.

I believe Rothfield has Parkinson's disease. I don't see him being on TV for much longer. I don't know much about his drinking and I confess I recently called him a drunkard without any good reason for doing so. I think he's crook and tonight he had some good things to say about WB.

* We still had money to go after Taylor, apparently a decent chunk too. Had we signed him, we had processes in place to accommodate him should he get an early release and come back immediately. Therefore, if a half became available, and their price was fair, we had the means.

* Maloney was on excellent money at the Sharks yet wanted even more after winning a GF. You could argue his price would have been worth it, but the fact that he had to be swapped with Moylan suggests that even if Maloney would be happy to leave Sydney, the Sharks would not have released him without a replacement. Who could we offer?

* Bennett said almost immediately that we were not interested in Pearce. I’m guessing it was one of two reasons. One would be that he’s a vapid, party-boy showpony. The other is that he too was looking at massive money. Signing with the Knights suggests he was only interested in the highest bidder. It’s possible that, like so many others did, his manager wanted to throw “the Broncos have shown interest” in to the negotiating pool, and Bennett wanted to cut that shit out before it started. Whatever the reason, I agree with Wayne.

Shows what a good job the Walker brothers did with them. I actually think they would do really well in the NRL with a better standard of player, but i really dont think any club will have the guts to appoint them. Like i said before, considering the resources they have compared to some of the other sides they are pretty competitive.
Maybe, but they are lunatics. They are fined by the QRL at almost every game for being on the field, abusing the officials and just being regular pork chops. Whilst they continue in this manner they are no chance in the NRL.

There was a white powder scandal that I recall and the NRL de-registered him, so Barba went to French rugby...

We still had money to go after Taylor, apparently a decent chunk too. Had we signed him, we had processes in place to accommodate him should he get an early release and come back immediately. Therefore, if a half became available, and their price was fair, we had the means.

Did the Broncs though? (I'm not being sarcastic, genuine question). I thought I read that they were offering Taylor about 500k (again can't remember if I actually read it or just made it up in my own head or even then, if I read it in the media, it was made up in someone else's head anyway) which was less than half what the GC offered him. Again, he was not worth anywhere near a million but did the Broncs really have much to offer given Boyd was still to be re-signed and on big money at that.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • bazza
  • Manofoneway
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Harry Sack
  • Tim K
  • mitch222
  • Broncs1459
  • FACTHUNT
  • Battler
  • Dash
  • Jedhead
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.