MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
lol Wayne has just successfully blooded a previously unseen amount of talent in one season and managed to re-sign almost all of them. With only Oates and TPJ left to put pen to paper, and the latter already verbally agreeing more than once.

We have been plagued with injury, and are in a rebuilding phase and yet we are still in contention (although unlikely) of a top 4 spot deep into the season.

Our team next year is extremely stacked and only has a halves pairing headache to iron out.

Wayne has also shown a willingness to try new things, give young guys an opportunity to prove themselves, and drop underperforming established players if there is a better option.

I don’t know what else it is people want Bennett to do?

Without an actual half back, leaders on field and more punch out of dummyhalf, we will continue to struggle regardless of how stacked we are with young talent.

A lack of captain and halfback really does, and will have an impact on the team - especially in those big games where mentally we will be challenged.
We have the forwards to dominate, but whats the point if the halves cannot consistently produce something?
Lewis last week ran a riot against us. Imagine what the Storm/Roosters or Souffs halves would have done to us last week..
I would love to know the current $ the dogs halves are on, and compare that to our halves not to mention how inexperienced and young Lewis is..

lol Wayne has just successfully blooded a previously unseen amount of talent in one season and managed to re-sign almost all of them. With only Oates and TPJ left to put pen to paper, and the latter already verbally agreeing more than once.

We have been plagued with injury, and are in a rebuilding phase and yet we are still in contention (although unlikely) of a top 4 spot deep into the season.

Our team next year is extremely stacked and only has a halves pairing headache to iron out.

Wayne has also shown a willingness to try new things, give young guys an opportunity to prove themselves, and drop underperforming established players if there is a better option.

You neglected to mention we are a serious chance of missing the top eight. It looks as if we will be lucky to scrape by in eighth position. We will likely have to rely on the Tigers losing most of their last remaining games, and us winning them.

Yes we have a promising future, but no guarantees that it will come next year. You can go on all you like about the team itself, but how the team is used is a serious issue. This is where Wayne is lacking, and has been for a few years now.

Lets be honest. Given the amount of teams that were chasing those players signatures, Wayne can't take an ounce of anything for "finding" them. Anyone could watch those players play and think they were probably going to be alright.

Don't get me wrong, I love Wayne, but fucked if he deserves credit for finding anyone. That's why he has scouts. Cyril handed him players for years.

Lets be honest. Given the amount of teams that were chasing those players signatures, Wayne can't take an ounce of anything for "finding" them. Anyone could watch those players play and think they were probably going to be alright.

Don't get me wrong, I love Wayne, but fucked if he deserves credit for finding anyone. That's why he has scouts. Cyril handed him players for years.

That post got 3 replies and I was trying to decide which one to respond to.

This was by far the stupidest, so well done mate. I never said he found them. You even put find in quotes but I didn’t mention the word once in my post. He brought them into first grade and has done a great job of it, and surely he gets some credit for all of them re-signing. Especially when a few of them have mentioned his influence as the reason they’re at our club in the first place.

Last edited:
Without an actual half back, leaders on field and more punch out of dummyhalf, we will continue to struggle regardless of how stacked we are with young talent.

Don’t get me wrong. I do agree.

But if we have Gillett back that helps leadership, and if we have a decent half now Nikonis coming off the bench adding punch.

Ideally we get a player next year who is a half and an experienced leader. Then our team is premiership quality. Unfortunately I don’t see that happening though, and I don’t know if a different coach could fix that either.

That post got 3 replies and I was trying to decide which one to respond to.

This was by far the stupidest, so well done mate. I never said he found them. You even put find in quotes but I didn’t mention the word once in my post. He brought them into first grade and has done a great job of it, and surely he gets some credit for all of them re-signing. Especially when a few of them have mentioned his influence as the reason they’re at our club in the first place.

Any coach with those players and half a brain would play them.

What is stupid is giving Bennett credit he doesn't deserve. Far more could be said to paint him in a good light.

Any coach with those players and half a brain would play them.

What is stupid is giving Bennett credit he doesn't deserve. Far more could be said to paint him in a good light.

I’m sorry, man. This is so dumb. Any coach would play them, yet Lodge, TPJ, Isaako, Bird (though not the best example of smart coaching) all came here with Wayne.

I really can’t agree with you here. How many coaches would let their starting props leave and put full faith i two untested players?

While I agree the talent coming through under Bennett is immense. The ‘willingness’ to blood new talent has nothing to do with Bennett but a forced hand. We have 5 backrowers injured. There wasn’t anyone else left to play except the guy that should in Taga for experience...

Whereas the positional changes required like a f***ing halfback or hooker he won’t give anyone a shot. Brilliant move (3/4 a season late) putting Boyd to centre and now back again. Why? For a first game centre on a leaky edge 4 games out from finals? Wtf?

As for dropping players. Who has he dropped beside Kahu? Kahu is obviously not right. But lots of guys have needed dropping or at least a week off to heal at one time or another this year - Boyd, Bird, KNik, Thaiday (although had a good run lately), Sims (one good game last week), TPJ (injury time off) and nothing done even when there was troops left to blood.

Lock up TPJ and hopefully Oates (probably not) and then let him go join his best mate Gould or to the mess that is WT (doubt they could afford him) and see how that sh*t works out... his best hope is a direct swap with Seibold as Souths are in premiership window.

Love to have Bennett in a non tactical role for term for the club but at this point he can get with the program or f*** off. I feel he’s lost his edge and where he might bring a premiership in short term to a ready team with his last remaining aura and inspiration (before screwing them for long term) Broncs won’t be ready under him cause he stubbornly refuses to fix the f***ing obvious holes or use the talent the way it needs to be used. It’s not like WB shows fans a lot of respect and has knifed plenty of players in past so don’t have any warmth towards the guy besides respect for his PAST achievements.

Last edited:
You have to love some reactions. “Bennett won’t make the changes I want so he can go **** himself. Why can’t he look at my 0 games coaching experience and see that I’m right?”

While I agree the talent coming through under Bennett is immense. The ‘willingness’ to blood new talent has nothing to do with Bennett but a forced hand. We have 5 backrowers injured. There wasn’t anyone else left to play except the guy that should in Taga for experience...

Whereas the positional changes required like a f***ing halfback or hooker he won’t give anyone a shot. Brilliant move (3/4 a season late) putting Boyd to centre and now back again. Why? For a first game centre on a leaky edge 4 games out from finals? Wtf?

As for dropping players. Who has he dropped beside Kahu? Kahu is obviously not right. But lots of guys have needed dropping or at least a week off to heal at one time or another this year - Boyd, Bird, KNik, Thaiday (although had a good run lately), Sims (one good game last week), TPJ (injury time off) and nothing done even when there was troops left to blood.

Lock up TPJ and hopefully Oates (probably not) and then let him go join his best mate Gould or to the mess that is WT (doubt they could afford him) and see how that sh*t works out... his best hope is a direct swap with Seibold as Souths are in premiership window.

Love to have Bennett in a non tactical role for term for the club but at this point he can get with the program or f*** off. I feel he’s lost his edge and where he might bring a premiership in short term to a ready team with his last remaining aura and inspiration (before screwing them for long term) Broncs won’t be ready under him cause he stubbornly refuses to fix the f***ing obvious holes or use the talent the way it needs to be used. It’s not like WB shows fans a lot of respect and has knifed plenty of players in past so don’t have any warmth towards the guy besides respect for his PAST achievements.

He's basically rebuilt our side from the ground up after the mess Hook left it in. Remember how desperate we were for props that people on here were claiming that we should throw dumb money at blokes like Napa? Our weakness at the moment is clearly half back, but it would be harsh to criticize Wayne there when our two primary targets (Hunt and Taylor) received the most outlandish offers in the history of the comp.

EDIT: inb4 "but he signed Bird!" Bird at full fitness is a better player than Hunt and Taylor, albeit in a different position, not to mention his leadership qualities and winning attitude. He's also on about 500k less.

Last edited:
40593 39 2

Wayne Bennett says he could work with Phil Gould and that he won’t kid himself about retirement

August 8, 2018

WAYNE Bennett hasn’t ruled out working with Panthers supremo Phil Gould and insists he will not “lie” to himself over the right time to retire as an NRL coach.

While insisting his preference is to remain at the Broncos beyond the expiry of his current deal in 2019, Bennett says he has great respect for Gould and shares similar philosophies on the game.

Bennett and Gould’s ties were strengthened last week as judges on the panel which selected five more Immortals.

There is a view the pair are too big in personality and ego to work harmoniously but Bennett lauded Gould’s knowledge of rugby league.

Speculation is rife Gould, the Panthers’ general manager of football, has informally sounded out Bennett, although Wests Tigers’ Ivan Cleary is emerging as a frontrunner to return to the Penrith club that once sacked him.

“I’ve had many meetings with Phil over the years. It’s good. I enjoy his company,” Bennett replied when asked about their relationship.

“He’s got a great football head on him and we are not poles apart in the way we feel about the game and the way the game should be played.

“We were competitors for a long time, and that goes with the territory, but we’ve both moved on from there.”

Asked if he could work alongside Gould, Bennett: “It is not an issue, so let’s get through to October and we’ll see what happens after that.”

Bennett insists he has not been approached by the Panthers.

“The way you guys are going at the moment I am coaching Penrith on Monday, the Broncos on Tuesday, Wests Tigers on Wednesday and probably the Titans on Thursday, so I’ve only got one day off now and that’s Friday,” Bennett said with a smirk.

On a day in which Melbourne champion Billy Slater announced his retirement, Bennett vowed not to go on a year too long.

“No one is going to be more honest with themselves than I have got to be,” Bennett said.

“I have a huge responsibility as a coach for a whole lot of things within a club. I have never lied to myself, so I am not going to start now. I feel I know how long I can go on for.

“I am not going to stay a year too long. I am going to be like Billy Slater and go out at the top of my game, but it’s not now.

“I want to be at the Broncos. I want to continue to coach. Everyone knows that, so let’s see where it all goes.”

Source: Courier Mail

Guys like Sims, Glenn, and Thaiday we’re shifted to accomodate better performing players. Kniko was moved out of the halves and even dropped for a minute. Kahu was moved and then dropped. Boyd was trialed at centre and Isaako at fullback and now Shiba is getting a crack at centre because Isaako doesn’t have the ball skills yet for fullback.

It’s easy to say the argument that’s been used here before as “yeah but those were all obvious choices, anyone would have done it”. But what the **** else is he meant to do? A bunch of not obvious decisions just so people think he’s creative?

I really don’t get it. Our issue is no halfback, and an experienced pack. It’s a big issue but it’s part of rebuilding. Every club goes through it except for cowboys who held on to every player from 2015 and look how that’s worked out.

You have to love some reactions. “Bennett won’t make the changes I want so he can go **** himself. Why can’t he look at my 0 games coaching experience and see that I’m right?”

So Bennett has won a bunch of premierships in last few years for Broncs and I was too busy watching The Block to notice?

All hail Caesar he can do no wrong. Face facts Bennett is an average at best tactical coach always has been. An amazing man manager and figurehead but is getting worse keeping up with modern game with time.

He’s got one attacking play with a Boyd sweep. A defence in his own mind totally reliant on a fullback who has shown more in the centres a few weeks then all season at the back. Only wrestling that goes on is the Kelvin Grove KFC.

It’s a tough gig but who the f*** can honestly say he has done a good job with unforced selections and creating a play style to suit the strengths of the huge weapons in Milf, Roberts and Oates at his disposal? Realistically very lucky to be in 8 which can understand with injures. But further away from a premiership then when he started. Can’t win one without a spine at moment we have 0 spine players meeting their price tag or consistent NRL standards.

No way in hell could Bennett and Gould work together

No way in hell could Bennett and Gould work together

No they probably could.

They are both still stuck in the old days. They have the same outlook on the game and same ideas etc.

Next year
- Find a n0.7, will allow milf to run ball more, not having all kicking duties on him, less pressure gets him back to running and doing what he does best
- New captain

Im happy other then that where we are heading with our forwards and depth we have.

Active Now

• Maroon4life
  • BroncosAlways
  • GCBRONCO
  • broncsgoat
  • Justwin
  • Harry Sack
  • Galah
  • Volvo Driver
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Midean
  • Strop
  • Charlesstor
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Brotherdu
  • Bronx48
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Battler
  • Mustafur
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosgirl
... and 35 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.