Wayne has lost the change room

Couldn't be further from the truth from what i know. He still commands total respect from the players.

Players dropping some deliberate misinformation to their managers however...

Tallis is a one man wrecking ball.
Honestly what is that big mouths problem with Wayne ? It's getting pathological. Ugh, can we send him on a one way trip to Siberia?
I'm pretty sure the problem is that Bennett convinced him to play on one more year when he wanted to retire and then Bennett ended up benching him.

He has had a problem ever since.
No. Tallis retired early because of a neck injury. The reason Tallis dislikes Bennett is because he used the loyalty card to pressure Tallis into signing for less money than he could have received elsewhere. Then Tallis finds out that Bennett is being paid a million dollars every year from the deceased mining magnate, Talbot.

The lurker still pushing about the players having issues with bennet lol

Nothing will put that to bed quicker than a series of wins and a happy dressing room.

Knobhead M Johns was pretty quick to regurgitate the old ' WB left StGeorge in a mess, he left Newcastle in a mess' rubbish. I'm certain he got St George a gf and Newcastle were left in a mess due to a lot of players and WB himself not getting paid. I think the owner, Tinkler was meddling in affairs behind the scene, buying players without consultation and undermining WB.

Last nights team looked united and while one or two players might be miffed I doubt he has lost the dressing room.

Matty should probably think about the lax "culture" around Newcastle which was brought about largely by a certain set of brothers amongst others - allegedly.

I seem to recall someone pointing out that while Bennett did leave Newcastle while they were in a bad place (let's face it it's not his fault), he did strengthen their development system and their reserve grade was in a better shape than what it was before he joined the club.

I can't see how anyone could blame Bennett for what happened at Newcastle.

It was Tinkler, it was the board that brought that club to the ground. Bennett wouldn't have been able to do anything about that.

The only thing you could really critize Wayne for was the roster.

Knobhead M Johns was pretty quick to regurgitate the old ' WB left StGeorge in a mess, he left Newcastle in a mess' rubbish. I'm certain he got St George a gf and Newcastle were left in a mess due to a lot of players and WB himself not getting paid. I think the owner, Tinkler was meddling in affairs behind the scene, buying players without consultation and undermining WB.

Last nights team looked united and while one or two players might be miffed I doubt he has lost the dressing room.

As did Phil Rothfield and Mark Webster(?) on NRL 360. Idiots.

I seem to recall someone pointing out that while Bennett did leave Newcastle while they were in a bad place (let's face it it's not his fault), he did strengthen their development system and their reserve grade was in a better shape than what it was before he joined the club.

I can't see how anyone could blame Bennett for what happened at Newcastle.

It was Tinkler, it was the board that brought that club to the ground. Bennett wouldn't have been able to do anything about that.

The only thing you could really critize Wayne for was the roster.

From memory it was actually Andrew Johns. He may have changed his tune but I seem to recall him saying it on the Sunday Footy Show.

Wayne is, IMO, an easy scapegoat here because he left before his contract was up.

When Wayne Bennett took St George to a premiership in 2010, everybody made the mistake of thinking he was a miracle worker. They thought he had the secret recipe to ensure a premiership success at every club he went to and when the Knights made the Top 8 in 2011 there was this presumption that they would take the next step in 2012.

What the experts and the fans didn't realise is that Newcastle weren't St George. The Dragons had everything in place to be a premiership side, the Knights didn't. For years, the Dragons were accused of being perrenial under-achievers and were one of the most inconsistent sides in the competition, beating premiership favourites one week only to struggle against celler dwellers the next.

Wayne fixed that by getting the Dragons to focus on their defence and keeping the offence as simple as possible. He got the Dragons to play to their strengths, which more often than not was all they needed to do.

At Newcastle, the situation was far more complicated. The entire club needed to be fixed from the ground up and Wayne was in over his head. If he could be faulted for anything, it was trying to do too many things at once. He wanted to fix the development pathways, he wanted to restore the culture of the club by bringing bunch of senior players and he also tried to transplant the success he had at St George by recruiting former players from that 2010 squad. It was just too much to handle in such a short space of time and it all went belly-up.

While his stint can only be described as a failure, there was plenty of blame to go around. Not only was 2014 a series of unfortunate events starting with the Russell Packer drama and ending with the ASADA suspensions of Smith and Snowden but as mentioned the players weren't being paid. If anything Nathan Tinkler deserves the lion share of the blame. He came in and promised the world, only to under-deliver and butt heads with Wayne. In hindsight there were so many warning signs from the Kade Snowden situation to Tinkler's form at the Newcastle Jets but Wayne stuck it out.

Still, before things turned sour under Stone, there were plenty of experts suggesting Wayne had left Newcastle in decent shape. The emergence of talent like Gagai, Leilua, Rochow, Mata'utia, Mamo, Tapine, Levi etc. left Stone plenty to work with, the problem was he struggled to get the best out of them.

After letting them throw the ball around for the first month of the competition, the Knights went into their shell after a poor loss from the Dragons and they didn't have the structures or mental fortitude to recover. A lot of players went backwards under Stone and all the effort that went into developing talent went to the wayside under his tenure.

Meanwhile Nathan Brown made the deliberate decision to completely 'rebuild' the side by throwing a bunch of kids into the deep end to sink or swim. Most of them have sunk and it remains to be seen whether Brown is the right man for the job. So far he's gotten a free pass because the press feels he's at least trying something different and he's been transparent with the community. However, when you only manage to win one game all season questions have to be asked.

If you ask me, the Knights issues can be traced to Brian Smith and his inability to develop local talent and insistense to bring in bit players. Players like Ben Cross, Matt Hilder, Marvin Karawana, Keith Lulia, Shannon McDonnell, Ben Rogers, Mark Taufua, Danny Wicks, Chris Houston etc. may have performed well under Smith but they were never going to win a premiership and Smith's inability to get the most out of local talent like Jarrod Mullen hurt him.

I liked that segment on the Matty Johns Show. Matty has been making these digs at Wayne and hiding under a veil of comedy to try and hide his real emotions. It was good that he just came out with it, said what he wanted to say, albeit it felt like an opening paragraph and if he was taken to task I believe he'd be exposed.

Also...I've seen Bennett criticised for signing players like Clint Newton and Michael Dobson, but if you followed the club you'd know those weren't the only signings being made. Under Wayne, the Knights brought in a lot of talent to their NYC side. Granted these players didn't kick on, but what they managed to do was help the likes of Mata'utia, Tapine, Levi etc. to develop. Again, under Stone this type of development fell by the wayside and I can't help but feel like we would have seen more rookies emerge under Wayne.

I mean you look at the Broncos. Most 'experts' would tell you they only signed Darius Boyd, Adam Blair, James Roberts, Korbin Sims, Benji Marshall etc. under his watch but they're not paying close attention to the NYC. The Broncos have been a lot more active in their second tier recruitment, which was one of the biggest killers in their 2013 season signing the likes of Tevita Pangai Jr, Herman Ese'ese, Tautau Moga, Jamayne Isaako, Marion Seve, Payne Haas among others. Those type of signings weren't happening before Wayne came with the only real exception being Daniel Vidot and Stewart Mills.

When Wayne took the job at Newcastle I thought it was a big mistake on his part. Wayne does have a recipe for success but it only works if the whole club buys in to what he is trying to do. The Knights were never going to do that. Too many spoilers and vested interests in the club for that. Especially Tinkler.

When Wayne Bennett took St George to a premiership in 2010, everybody made the mistake of thinking he was a miracle worker. They thought he had the secret recipe to ensure a premiership success at every club he went to and when the Knights made the Top 8 in 2011 there was this presumption that they would take the next step in 2012.

What the experts and the fans didn't realise is that Newcastle weren't St George. The Dragons had everything in place to be a premiership side, the Knights didn't. For years, the Dragons were accused of being perrenial under-achievers and were one of the most inconsistent sides in the competition, beating premiership favourites one week only to struggle against celler dwellers the next.

Wayne fixed that by getting the Dragons to focus on their defence and keeping the offence as simple as possible. He got the Dragons to play to their strengths, which more often than not was all they needed to do.

At Newcastle, the situation was far more complicated. The entire club needed to be fixed from the ground up and Wayne was in over his head. If he could be faulted for anything, it was trying to do too many things at once. He wanted to fix the development pathways, he wanted to restore the culture of the club by bringing bunch of senior players and he also tried to transplant the success he had at St George by recruiting former players from that 2010 squad. It was just too much to handle in such a short space of time and it all went belly-up.

While his stint can only be described as a failure, there was plenty of blame to go around. Not only was 2014 a series of unfortunate events starting with the Russell Packer drama and ending with the ASADA suspensions of Smith and Snowden but as mentioned the players weren't being paid. If anything Nathan Tinkler deserves the lion share of the blame. He came in and promised the world, only to under-deliver and butt heads with Wayne. In hindsight there were so many warning signs from the Kade Snowden situation to Tinkler's form at the Newcastle Jets but Wayne stuck it out.

Still, before things turned sour under Stone, there were plenty of experts suggesting Wayne had left Newcastle in decent shape. The emergence of talent like Gagai, Leilua, Rochow, Mata'utia, Mamo, Tapine, Levi etc. left Stone plenty to work with, the problem was he struggled to get the best out of them.

After letting them throw the ball around for the first month of the competition, the Knights went into their shell after a poor loss from the Dragons and they didn't have the structures or mental fortitude to recover. A lot of players went backwards under Stone and all the effort that went into developing talent went to the wayside under his tenure.

Meanwhile Nathan Brown made the deliberate decision to completely 'rebuild' the side by throwing a bunch of kids into the deep end to sink or swim. Most of them have sunk and it remains to be seen whether Brown is the right man for the job. So far he's gotten a free pass because the press feels he's at least trying something different and he's been transparent with the community. However, when you only manage to win one game all season questions have to be asked.

If you ask me, the Knights issues can be traced to Brian Smith and his inability to develop local talent and insistense to bring in bit players. Players like Ben Cross, Matt Hilder, Marvin Karawana, Keith Lulia, Shannon McDonnell, Ben Rogers, Mark Taufua, Danny Wicks, Chris Houston etc. may have performed well under Smith but they were never going to win a premiership and Smith's inability to get the most out of local talent like Jarrod Mullen hurt him.

I liked that segment on the Matty Johns Show. Matty has been making these digs at Wayne and hiding under a veil of comedy to try and hide his real emotions. It was good that he just came out with it, said what he wanted to say, albeit it felt like an opening paragraph and if he was taken to task I believe he'd be exposed.

Also...I've seen Bennett criticised for signing players like Clint Newton and Michael Dobson, but if you followed the club you'd know those weren't the only signings being made. Under Wayne, the Knights brought in a lot of talent to their NYC side. Granted these players didn't kick on, but what they managed to do was help the likes of Mata'utia, Tapine, Levi etc. to develop. Again, under Stone this type of development fell by the wayside and I can't help but feel like we would have seen more rookies emerge under Wayne.

I mean you look at the Broncos. Most 'experts' would tell you they only signed Darius Boyd, Adam Blair, James Roberts, Korbin Sims, Benji Marshall etc. under his watch but they're not paying close attention to the NYC. The Broncos have been a lot more active in their second tier recruitment, which was one of the biggest killers in their 2013 season signing the likes of Tevita Pangai Jr, Herman Ese'ese, Tautau Moga, Jamayne Isaako, Marion Seve, Payne Haas among others. Those type of signings weren't happening before Wayne came with the only real exception being Daniel Vidot and Stewart Mills.

You're right, and the people that bag him don't understand what he does.

He did the same thing at the Broncos. He tried to have success and 'jag one' with Lewis, Miles, Dowling and Scott but in the lower grades and a few in first grade was the '92 Grand Final side- still five years away.

He had moved all those BRL guys on by '91 and slowly filtered in the young guys that had been developing. Add in Gilly and Lazo who had come from the Roosters and Raiders.

He tried to repeat that at the Knights, set up lower grades and hoped a few older heads in first grade might jag success and then the systems would take over.

He was very diligent with the system at the Dragons too, they didn't have any pathways set up and he set up the system through the uni.

Last edited:
Honest moment here, these pricks are just all has beens. Their people with axes to grind, because Wayne has been in the game for so long and been successful for so long they can't stand it. He is a Queenslander and they can't stand it, he is a coach that tells his players what they need to hear not what they want to hear and sometimes they can't stand it. He has had to end the career of a few, he didn't pick a few for Queensland and Australia and they can't stand it. His interactions with the media are stale and they can't stand it. He has been a successful coach who has won GF's and who's teams are usually a finals contender. He has been doing this since the 80s and coaches like Michael Maguire,Des Hasler and Trent Robinson have all been touted as the new thing, yes they have won premierships but have any of these blokes really got that aura that they claim Wayne has lost. Why do none of these coaches get dragged out in this fashion, look at the pile of dog shit that Penrith put out on the field on Saturday, well I heard from M. Johns that Gould has his fat fingers all over that team and how great it is, well the Dragons laid 12 inches up that sides backside and split them wider then Jenna Jammersons you know what. Has that fat piece of shit lost his aura you Newsouth Wankers. Piece out, drops mic, lights cig.

Honest moment here, these pricks are just all has beens. Their people with axes to grind, because Wayne has been in the game for so long and been successful for so long they can't stand it. He is a Queenslander and they can't stand it, he is a coach that tells his players what they need to hear not what they want to hear and sometimes they can't stand it. He has had to end the career of a few, he didn't pick a few for Queensland and Australia and they can't stand it. His interactions with the media are stale and they can't stand it. He has been a successful coach who has won GF's and who's teams are usually a finals contender. He has been doing this since the 80s and coaches like Michael Maguire,Des Hasler and Trent Robinson have all been touted as the new thing, yes they have won premierships but have any of these blokes really got that aura that they claim Wayne has lost. Why do none of these coaches get dragged out in this fashion, look at the pile of dog shit that Penrith put out on the field on Saturday, well I heard from M. Johns that Gould has his fat fingers all over that team and how great it is, well the Dragons laid 12 inches up that sides backside and split them wider then Jenna Jammersons you know what. Has that fat piece of shit lost his aura you Newsouth Wankers. Piece out, drops mic, lights cig.
What's the saying? Oh yeah I remember.....Jealousy is a curse. Best post I have read for many a day. Thank you for cutting straight to the bone mate!

Hay no worries pal, just needed to vent. Thanks for listening.

Hay no worries pal, just needed to vent. Thanks for listening.
Good post mate.
I'm over it too.
They all seem to be getting on the 'Bash Wayne' bandwagon. Like it's a free for all. Well stuff 'em.

It's well known we have one of the NRL's loyalist fan base in Brisbane and why is that ?

Good post mate.
I'm over it too.
They all seem to be getting on the 'Bash Wayne' bandwagon. Like it's a free for all. Well stuff 'em.

It's well known we have one of the NRL's loyalist fan base in Brisbane and why is that ?

Because of marketing and wins in the 90's

If the fan base was as loyal as you make out, Suncorp wouldn't go quiet 3 minutes after kick off!!

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • peter09
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Fozz
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Dash
  • The True King
  • Broncosgirl
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Xzei
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Sproj
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.