NEWS We got it wrong, Bellamy mentored Walters, not bennett

• Thread starter Lockysillegitimatechild
  • Start date
L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Kevin Walters is favourite for Gold Coast Titans job — but is it worth the risk for Maroons coach?

(No link supplied).

Last edited by a moderator:
This stuff just infuriates me with the media these days... we get they want an alternative to Bennett (7 vs 1, success at rep level vs abysmal failure, premierships at different clubs with multiple generations of players rather then just 1 generation that was built around 1-3 players and they stayed together due to cheating massively) but to imply Bellamy was Walters mentor and he learned everything from him is just plain wrong and pathetic... Walters won 5 premierships with Bennett, played ALL his professional football under him, was captain under him, assistant coach at 2 clubs on 3 different occasions, still seeks his counsel.... Bellamy had him as an assistant for 2 years and played with him at Canberra for 1 year...... Bellamy has lost 100% of his origin series (3/3) without smith, won 1 out of 3 country origin games, lost a grand final by a record margin without scoring a point, has a 25% winning record without him and has won ONE legitimate premiership in 15 years. Good coach, but get smith out of his team and he wouldn't make the top 4 ANY year or win ANY premierships, FACT. Take ANY immortal out of bennetts sides and he'd still find a way to win at least 4-5 in those years (dragons 2010, sacking Wally Lewis and the 2015 gf proved this).. minor premierships mean nothing in 2 years, ask the roosters, it's good to have your team up there to have a better chance but year after year he wears his team out. Watch the Blake green interview and you'd see Bellamy would have worn the team out of the top 8 every year if it wasn't for smith, he's a polished version of Ricky Stuart who struck gold with a once in a lifetime leader/on field coach in smith.... over the hype he gets by the media just to make out Bennett hasn't achieved much

This stuff just infuriates me with the media these days... we get they want an alternative to Bennett (7 vs 1, success at rep level vs abysmal failure, premierships at different clubs with multiple generations of players rather then just 1 generation that was built around 1-3 players and they stayed together due to cheating massively) but to imply Bellamy was Walters mentor and he learned everything from him is just plain wrong and pathetic... Walters won 5 premierships with Bennett, played ALL his professional football under him, was captain under him, assistant coach at 2 clubs on 3 different occasions, still seeks his counsel.... Bellamy had him as an assistant for 2 years and played with him at Canberra for 1 year...... Bellamy has lost 100% of his origin series (3/3) without smith, won 1 out of 3 country origin games, lost a grand final by a record margin without scoring a point, has a 25% winning record without him and has won ONE legitimate premiership in 15 years. Good coach, but get smith out of his team and he wouldn't make the top 4 ANY year or win ANY premierships, FACT. Take ANY immortal out of bennetts sides and he'd still find a way to win at least 4-5 in those years (dragons 2010, sacking Wally Lewis and the 2015 gf proved this).. minor premierships mean nothing in 2 years, ask the roosters, it's good to have your team up there to have a better chance but year after year he wears his team out. Watch the Blake green interview and you'd see Bellamy would have worn the team out of the top 8 every year if it wasn't for smith, he's a polished version of Ricky Stuart who struck gold with a once in a lifetime leader/on field coach in smith.... over the hype he gets by the media just to make out Bennett hasn't achieved much

And he is still the best coach in the game

So Bellamy didn't want to put his reputation on the line with what he'd consider a lesser playing roster. He chose to stay at a club that he knew would have success, and such, that success would reflect on him.

Walters joined the Titans for 2 or so years, and then brings over some good players to Brisbane once Bennett retires.

I feel sorry for who ever gets the job. They're in for tough time, with at best a shot of finishing in the 8 (but outside the 4). Worst case hayne plays recking ball and the team implodes with infighting.
This is particularly likely if they struggle early on ( a likely scenario with a flush of new players/playing styles). Better for a young aspiring q cup coach with nothing to lose.

The argument of well Bellamy hasn't proven himself away from Smith, Cronk, Slater blah blah is the biggest crock of shit. I have had this argument with other fans before but I may aswell have another go here just because I'm an argumentative ****.

People always point to those 3 and say anybody could have coached them. People forget that Bellamy came to that club and turned them into long term rep players. No doubt they had talent and strong will to be great but those 3 were not boom youngsters at all. They were passed over by clubs. Cronk was manufactured into a halfback. He was an outside back that filled in as a utility every now and then.

The amount of players that he has got off the scrap heap and turned them into really strong firstgraders is just astronomical. What I judge a coach on is what he gets out of players that have struggled and been in and out of first grade beforehand at other clubs. And I believe Bellamy is easily the best in that department. No doubt having probably the best ever player in your team helps but especially recently with B Smith, Croft, Munster, Hughes, Scott etc coming through I have no doubt they will be successful for as long as he wants. His ability to continue to bring through top notch young players is just amazing. That is more than just luck. Just pisses me off that he gets discredited because he coaches 3 particular players.

And it just doesn't happen to him. It happened to Bennett through the late 90s and 2000s. But it is like all sport. Coaches get hardly any credit when their teams win but all of the blame when they lose and it turns to shit.

Today If I wanted to start a team I would take Bellamy every day of the week as my coach.

Being able to work under both Bellamy AND Bennett. Being deep in the Broncos and Storms systems. That's incredible experience, the coaching origin gig is just cherry on top. For mine, makes Walters a great candidate. I'd avoid any former head coaches with a < 60% win rate.

The argument of well Bellamy hasn't proven himself away from Smith, Cronk, Slater blah blah is the biggest crock of shit. I have had this argument with other fans before but I may aswell have another go here just because I'm an argumentative ****.

People always point to those 3 and say anybody could have coached them. People forget that Bellamy came to that club and turned them into long term rep players. No doubt they had talent and strong will to be great but those 3 were not boom youngsters at all. They were passed over by clubs. Cronk was manufactured into a halfback. He was an outside back that filled in as a utility every now and then.

The amount of players that he has got off the scrap heap and turned them into really strong firstgraders is just astronomical. What I judge a coach on is what he gets out of players that have struggled and been in and out of first grade beforehand at other clubs. And I believe Bellamy is easily the best in that department. No doubt having probably the best ever player in your team helps but especially recently with B Smith, Croft, Munster, Hughes, Scott etc coming through I have no doubt they will be successful for as long as he wants. His ability to continue to bring through top notch young players is just amazing. That is more than just luck. Just pisses me off that he gets discredited because he coaches 3 particular players.

And it just doesn't happen to him. It happened to Bennett through the late 90s and 2000s. But it is like all sport. Coaches get hardly any credit when their teams win but all of the blame when they lose and it turns to shit.

Today If I wanted to start a team I would take Bellamy every day of the week as my coach.

Bellamy isn't a numpty, he is a good coach, but he isn't in Bennett's class

Bellamy isn't a numpty, he is a good coach, but he isn't in Bennett's class

This is true.

When he can win 7 premierships and be successful at rep level, that's when people can start talking about him being the best. Until then, he will forever be in Bennett's shadow.

He was an absolute failure at rep level. Because he isn't that good without the big 3.

Bellamy definitely seems like a gun NRL level coach. He needs time to work his plans into a side. Melbourne has been a step ahead of everyone else when it came to development, defence, attack etc etc. throughout most of Bellamy's time there. A lot of his success has been due to the big 3 (Cam Smith mostly, I guess), it's true...but you can still see all the other little things they do better than anyone else, and it must be at least partially due to Bellamy.

I think Matty Johns had a hell of a lot more influence on Cronks development then Bellamy

Unread

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • marw
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Organix
  • TimWhatley
  • Harry Sack
  • Pablo
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Culhwch
  • FACTHUNT
  • mieko
  • Justwin
  • Thelmus
  • Morkel
  • sooticus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.