NEWS We got it wrong, Bellamy mentored Walters, not bennett

• Thread starter Lockysillegitimatechild
  • Start date
Kevie firming to be titans next coach , poor bugger .

I wish you could spend a week down there just to see how wrong you are.

Bennett lost a Grand Final by a record margin too 42-8 and Bellamy and Kevvie were at Canberra together for three years.
That isn't my point at all.... he has a 25% winning record without smith, lost a gf by 40 points to nil without smith, lost 3 state of origin series without smith out of 3, won 1 country origin out of 3 without smith. I've got no doubt he trains them hard and with great tactics throughout the week, but so does Ricky Stuart, so does Neil Henry, so does des Hasler don't they? They are all noted tacticians and harsh-unforgiving characters. It's the game day when the pressure is on and the game is on a knife edge where the storm are noted for their calmness and ability to win games in any situation, and I don't know about you but I reckon the Canberra raiders would beat the storm if Cameron smith swapped sides in that situation, does that mean Ricky is a master coach if that would to happen?

If Bellamy didn't want to touch the Wests Tigers and Walters because of the current state of the Titans and want to go with I can understand that and don't blame them for it, But I must say I have more respect for Wayne Bennett and rate him higher because he has shown willingness to take on differing levels of assignments of the code at different times throughout his career(and not just later in his career either), regardless of if it will potentially tarnish his coaching record. I still regard him as the best coach in the game and If I was in charge of a new franchise he would be the coach I would be seeking for with real hands on experience of how to develop a club franchise from the beginning up.

We are talking about a coach who:

Took Souths Magpies out of the doldrums they had been in the early to mid 70's to grand finals appearances against Valleys(1979), Wynnum Manly(1984) And defeating what many people regard as at the time a NSWRL standard side Wynnum Manly outfit in the 1985 as underdogs.

Souths lost to Valleys 26-0 and Wynnum 42-8! Souths won in '81 when Bennett left and then he came back to inherit a premiership team.

That isn't my point at all.... he has a 25% winning record without smith, lost a gf by 40 points to nil without smith, lost 3 state of origin series without smith out of 3, won 1 country origin out of 3 without smith. I've got no doubt he trains them hard and with great tactics throughout the week, but so does Ricky Stuart, so does Neil Henry, so does des Hasler don't they? They are all noted tacticians and harsh-unforgiving characters. It's the game day when the pressure is on and the game is on a knife edge where the storm are noted for their calmness and ability to win games in any situation, and I don't know about you but I reckon the Canberra raiders would beat the storm if Cameron smith swapped sides in that situation, does that mean Ricky is a master coach if that would to happen?

That logic would apply to any great player. Swap Johns or Lewis and the other side would have won a lot of times. Smith also hasn't missed a lot of games what number games does 25% represent. That 25% is misleading and if Smith is missing so is seven other guys as well.

What was Bennett's win % without Alf during the 90's?

Souths lost to Valleys 26-0 and Wynnum 42-8! Souths won in '81 when Bennett left and then he came back to inherit a premiership team.

Yes and I acknowledged he lost those two grand finals, but he certainly didn't walk into the competition favorites either or are you going to argue that Wynnum Manly were underdogs both those seasons of 1984 and 1985? You could make a bloody Queensland SOO side out of their lineup then. Hell there were calls for a national club competition of them against Canterbury-Bankstown and consisted of players such as Lewis, Gene Miles, Greg Dowling, Colin Scott, Gary Coyne, Ian and Brett French etc

Beltcher pleading with walters not to take the titans job , he has a coaching gig at brisbane when wayne retires

Bennett has certainly had the better coaching career, but since 2011 Bellamy has been the better coach.

Bennett has certainly had the better coaching career, but since 2011 Bellamy has been the better coach.

That I agree with, in fact if not for the salary cap drama at Melbourne that would be a longer period. I judge a coaches career for the duration that they have been in the business. Bellamy has earnt his place at club level in his present club I will give him that, for Walters he has a long way to go though to prove he is even upto the task as a fulltime coach at a NRL club.

At the end of the day I rate Bellamy highly on his performance at the Storm. What will he do afterwards will be most interesting.

Bennett has won minor premierships and a premierships when other teams have had players like smith, Lockyer, thurston etc in it when he had players of the calibre of Soward and Ben creagh in his team (could Bellamy do that against those players with those players?), he got rid of Lewis to go on to win a premiership, he won New Zealand a World Cup against smith and Thurston, he got the knights to within 1 game of a gf when they had a bottom 4 roster not getting paid.

These are all things that Bellamy MAY be able to do... BUT HE HAS NOT.... I don't knock him for sticking with the one team, but until he takes a risk and keeps winning in different situations how can he possibly be put on the same level... the one comparison we have he had a 100% losing record of the series'.

Yes and I acknowledged he lost those two grand finals, but he certainly didn't walk into the competition favorites either or are you going to argue that Wynnum Manly were underdogs both those seasons of 1984 and 1985? You could make a bloody Queensland SOO side out of their lineup then. Hell there were calls for a national club competition of them against Canterbury-Bankstown and consisted of players such as Lewis, Gene Miles, Greg Dowling, Colin Scott, Gary Coyne, Ian and Brett French etc

Souths had Meninga, Belcher, Jackson, Lindner, Phelan and Kellaway- All Origin players. They weren't battlers! Souths did finish top of the table in '85 and Wynnum third too.

Souths had also played in Grand Finals in 79, 80, 81 and 84. They weren't exactly the down trodden Mighty Ducks.

Bennett has won minor premierships and a premierships when other teams have had players like smith, Lockyer, thurston etc in it when he had players of the calibre of Soward and Ben creagh in his team (could Bellamy do that against those players with those players?), he got rid of Lewis to go on to win a premiership, he won New Zealand a World Cup against smith and Thurston, he got the knights to within 1 game of a gf when they had a bottom 4 roster not getting paid.

These are all things that Bellamy MAY be able to do... BUT HE HAS NOT.... I don't knock him for sticking with the one team, but until he takes a risk and keeps winning in different situations how can he possibly be put on the same level... the one comparison we have he had a 100% losing record of the series'.

Wasn't going to Melbourne a league outpost, your first gig, missed the finals the last two years and sacked three coaches and taking a heap of ISC players a risk?

Beltcher pleading with walters not to take the titans job , he has a coaching gig at brisbane when wayne retires

I wouldn't be so sure anymore ... rumour has it that JD is very highly regarded by the Broncos and is the new front runner for the gig when WB retires. He is also apparently happy to wait to learn all he can from Bennett first

Souths had Meninga, Belcher, Jackson, Lindner, Phelan and Kellaway- All Origin players. They weren't battlers! Souths did finish top of the table in '85 and Wynnum third too.

Souths had also played in Grand Finals in 79, 80, 81 and 84. They weren't exactly the down trodden Mighty Ducks.

Your right I will concede they had a quality outfit too but going into 1984 and 1985 Wynnum Manly were the favorites to take out the trophy. I still think your underestimating the work Bennett put in place in the late 70's to get the club back on track and much of the success of the coming 80's season's benefited from that.

I wouldn't be so sure anymore ... rumour has it that JD is very highly regarded by the Broncos and is the new front runner for the gig when WB retires. He is also apparently happy to wait to learn all he can from Bennett first

Well atleast offer him a role with the club he certainly has a good influence on the boys here

He is crazy to take the titans , they will fold in the next couple of years and we will see another qld team replace them

Wasn't going to Melbourne a league outpost, your first gig, missed the finals the last two years and sacked three coaches and taking a heap of ISC players a risk?
He took the lesser of 2 risks and then stayed there. I'm not saying he should, he has nothing to prove to anyone, but if he hasn't achieved anything near what Bennett has at any level, how can you say he's better?

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Lozza
  • I bleed Maroon
  • lynx000
  • bert_lifts
  • Alec
  • Pablo
  • BroncosAlways
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BruiserMk1
  • Hurrijo
  • Spoon
  • Santa
  • Johnny92
  • Broncorob
  • NSW stables
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.