NEWS We got it wrong, Bellamy mentored Walters, not bennett

• Thread starter Lockysillegitimatechild
  • Start date
71.42%

25 wins from 35 games and 1 draw.
I'm sure this post won't be replied to like my one when where I brought up the respective records of both coaches. Statistics or records aren't as good a barometer as listening to fox sports commentators and news limited reporters who are "in the know"

I have to admit i dont understand why this is a big talking point.

Bellamy is a good coach. Bennett is a good coach. If its a question of who'd you want more if you had neither than fair enough, but this scenario? Happy with either. I dont give a shit about rep records when it comes to club sides, different ball game altogether. No one is going to seriously argue meninga is better than either based off the rep record, so why use club coaches with a part time rep career as a barometer?

Edit: besides, any coach will have multiple influences. Bennett had Bob bax and others, bellamy had bennett and others, Walters has bennett and bellamy. The idea that a coach gets all their moves or influence from one single source is disingenuous imo.

Last edited:
Well atleast offer him a role with the club he certainly has a good influence on the boys here

He is crazy to take the titans , they will fold in the next couple of years and we will see another qld team replace them
He is 51 yo and has aspired to coach in the NRL for many years now. He would be mad to pass up the opportunity as one may not come up again. Who knows, he may be ultra successful on the Coast.

He is 51 yo and has aspired to coach in the NRL for many years now. He would be mad to pass up the opportunity as one may not come up again. Who knows, he may be ultra successful on the Coast.

I completely agree. He has quite a bit there already to work with and a marquee player who will play out of his skin due to being out of contract.

The Gold Coast is not a basket case, they have injuries, a lazy star player and a coach with a mediocre record of success and a tendency to lose playing groups.

Kevvie comes in with somewhat of an aura of respect due to his success in origin this year. If he can get the players to buy into his plan and keep going the way he seemed to be with Qld, he could do well with that club.

Incidentally, if he is successful, his dream job at the Broncs will be there waiting when Wayne gives it away in a few years time.

I completely agree. He has quite a bit there already to work with and a marquee player who will play out of his skin due to being out of contract.

The Gold Coast is not a basket case, they have injuries, a lazy star player and a coach with a mediocre record of success and a tendency to lose playing groups.

Kevvie comes in with somewhat of an aura of respect due to his success in origin this year. If he can get the players to buy into his plan and keep going the way he seemed to be with Qld, he could do well with that club.

Incidentally, if he is successful, his dream job at the Broncs will be there waiting when Wayne gives it away in a few years time.

You think Walters would actually jump ship to the broncos if he had a successful coaching stint at the titans?

He has the Broncos job lined up anyways when Bennett eventually walks away. No need to ruin that chance by taking on the basket case that is the Titans. Stay at QLD for a couple more years, develop origin/international calibre players then go and coach in the NRL. The titans would ruin him as a coach with their instability and Hayne on the roster calling the shots.

71.42%

25 wins from 35 games and 1 draw.

That's a lot of games, I wouldn't have thought it would be that high. Alf's only injury was his broken leg in 1989. Guess a few rep games out and it wouldn't take long to get 35 games.

Your right I will concede they had a quality outfit too but going into 1984 and 1985 Wynnum Manly were the favorites to take out the trophy. I still think your underestimating the work Bennett put in place in the late 70's to get the club back on track and much of the success of the coming 80's season's benefited from that.

I am not underestimating I am just not convinced it was a win of insurmountable odds.

That's a lot of games, I wouldn't have thought it would be that high. Alf's only injury was his broken leg in 1989. Guess a few rep games out and it wouldn't take long to get 35 games.

Games Without Alf
1988: 1
1989: 10
1990: 1
1991: 5
1992: 2
1993: 2
1994: 0
1995: 5
1996: 1
1997: 2
1998: 0
1999: 0*
2002*: 8

29 Games when Alf was the marquee player, 37 if you include '02, 55 if you include the rest of '99.

He has the Broncos job lined up anyways when Bennett eventually walks away. No need to ruin that chance by taking on the basket case that is the Titans. Stay at QLD for a couple more years, develop origin/international calibre players then go and coach in the NRL. The titans would ruin him as a coach with their instability and Hayne on the roster calling the shots.

He would be a fool to wait until Bennett retires ...

for a start that could be years ...

secondly rumour has it that he will have very strong competition from JD.

Games Without Alf
1988: 1
1989: 10
1990: 1
1991: 5
1992: 2
1993: 2
1994: 0
1995: 5
1996: 1
1997: 2
1998: 0
1999: 0*
2002*: 8

29 Games when Alf was the marquee player, 37 if you include '02, 55 if you include the rest of '99.

That's different to the stats posted above. 89 is a third of his time out. That was his second broken leg too.

They lost five in a row while he was out.

Last edited:
I believe the Titans are the perfect team for Walters. Low expectations, a safe place to make mistakes and learn from them, any success however modest will ensure he is placed to takeover the Broncos when WB retires which I believe will be in 2020. Add to that the luxury of not having to relocate his family and the ease with which he could find a temporary home for overnight stays. Likely accommodations would come as part of a package plus he is high profile and would almost certainly attract players who would join for less than the highest offer around.

There's also the attraction of the Gold Coast lifestyle. I think it's a great fit...hell, I might even wish them well against all others with one notable exception !

Billy Walters to celebrate his Courier Mail Medal next week with a Titans' deal.

Billy Walters to celebrate his Courier Mail Medal next week with a Titans' deal.

In all honesty does anyone think that billy walters could be a good , cheap pickup of us next year if we have a look at him?

"Celebrate"

air-quotes.gif

Sorry, couldn't help myself but to sink the boot in.

Active Now

• Old Mate
  • mrslong
  • Porthoz
  • Stix
  • Brocko
  • johnny plath
  • john1420
  • Financeguy
  • mystico
  • ivanhungryjak
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.