We need a leader... Who?

I'd say Gillett, but for some reason he can't even get a consistent 80 minutes from his coach despite being an 80 minute player for the last six years.

I like him as a player, but he doesn’t strike me as captain material. Even by footballer standards, he doesn’t seem to have much upstairs...

If it is taken off Boyd, Glenn or McCullough are next in line, horribly...

After that, it’s probably Milford...

I like him as a player, but he doesn’t strike me as captain material. Even by footballer standards, he doesn’t seem to have much upstairs...

If it is taken off Boyd, Glenn or McCullough are next in line, horribly...

After that, it’s probably Milford...

Gillett is absolutely captain material.

In what aspect? Tactical? Strategy? His on-field ‘follow me’ boys attitude? His witty repartee with the media?

In what aspect does he demonstrate captain material?

Effort. He isn’t quite back to the Herculean efforts he put in preinjury but he was Hindmarsh like in 2015-2017.

In what aspect? Tactical? Strategy? His on-field ‘follow me’ boys attitude? His witty repartee with the media?

He's led from the front for about the past decade for the broncos and been a walk up starter for Qld and Australia.

What more do you want?

He's the old fashioned lead by example and give them a boost when needed type.

One example, in pre-season when there are players struggling, he's the bloke that will stick with them and give them the boost they need to finish. He'll do extra work to make sure they finish.

We don't need to have a tactician or strategist as captain.

He's led from the front for about the past decade for the broncos and been a walk up starter for Qld and Australia.

What more do you want?

Led from the front? Which front is that? He used to hit hard in defence in about one out of every 25 tackles he made. There was season after season under Hook where him and Glenn were fighting it out for the most missed tackles in the NRL, let alone the club.

He used to run good lines on the edges and performed excellently at running over smaller blokes.

That made him a walk up second rower, that’s about it. At no stage of his career has he ever been close to being a captain and if we had ANYONE else even remotely suitable, he still wouldn’t be.

Then on top of that go and watch him be interviewed. The poor fellow can barely string a sentence together.

He is a good backrower. At times he has verged on great. But to argue he leads from the front, but then in the other argue he is still trying to get back to where he was after his injury (and no blame to him from me for that, we’re lucky he is back at all) is ridiculous.

He is a good second rower and I like him as a player. Always have, but he is nowhere near club captaincy material.

Effort. He isn’t quite back to the Herculean efforts he put in preinjury but he was Hindmarsh like in 2015-2017.

I think you need to go back and watch a bit more of his career. He has and always has had plenty of errors in him and while he was once a noted hitter, has plenty of missed tackles in him as well. That doesn’t scream effort to me...

We’ve already got a ‘leader’ that sets a bad on-field example. I’m not sure we need to turn that into a dynasty...

Led from the front? Which front is that? He used to hit hard in defence in about one out of every 25 tackles he made. There was season after season under Hook where him and Glenn were fighting it out for the most missed tackles in the NRL, let alone the club.

He used to run good lines on the edges and performed excellently at running over smaller blokes.

That made him a walk up second rower, that’s about it. At no stage of his career has he ever been close to being a captain and if we had ANYONE else even remotely suitable, he still wouldn’t be.

Then on top of that go and watch him be interviewed. The poor fellow can barely string a sentence together.

He is a good backrower. At times he has verged on great. But to argue he leads from the front, but then in the other argue he is still trying to get back to where he was after his injury (and no blame to him from me for that, we’re lucky he is back at all) is ridiculous.

He is a good second rower and I like him as a player. Always have, but he is nowhere near club captaincy material.

I dunno mate, I've always loved the bloke from his debut until today (not that I saw the game).

I fucking hate using other peoples opinions to validate my position but I watched Mal advocate for Matty to be captain of Qld today, if thats not enough of an endorsement I don't know what is.

He's the old fashioned lead by example and give them a boost when needed type.

One example, in pre-season when there are players struggling, he's the bloke that will stick with them and give them the boost they need to finish. He'll do extra work to make sure they finish.

Sounds like admirable qualities, nit sure why that hasn’t really translated onto the field.

We don't need to have a tactician or strategist as captain.

It isn’t necessary if you have such qualities in your squad already, as we did when we picked Tallis and Webke for captain.

Nowadays some strategy and tactics would be like mothers milk...

I think you need to go back and watch a bit more of his career. He has and always has had plenty of errors in him and while he was once a noted hitter, has plenty of missed tackles in him as well. That doesn’t scream effort to me...

We’ve already got a ‘leader’ that sets a bad on-field example. I’m not sure we need to turn that into a dynasty...

He misses tackles but he also is usually trying to make up fro defensive errors of those around him. Again, it hasn’t been ind display so much this season but previously he was always pressuring kickers, making last ditch tackles, charge downs, cleaning up loose balls. He’s done all the clean up work for us for a long time. A lot of it is under appreciated.

I dunno mate, I've always loved the bloke from his debut until today (not that I saw the game).

I fucking hate using other peoples opinions to validate my position but I watched Mal advocate for Matty to be captain of Qld today, if thats not enough of an endorsement I don't know what is.

As a second rower, I like him too, at his peak he was close to, if not the best second rower in the world. But all he was asked to do was defend and run off Locky, Cooper Cronk, JT and so on. You’re expecting him to suddenly grow into a bloke who has to take charge and inspire the team when the chips are down?

Where do you see him doing that now? Or before now? You don’t see him laying down the law to the troops. You don’t see him doing inspirational runs or defensive work. I don’t see him step up and help protect Kodi and indeed our right edge defence, even with him there has traditionally been our weakest side in defence.In addition what I do see on a regular basis, is a bloke whose shoulders slump whenever he makes a mistake.

Now that is all well and good from a ‘pride in your performance’ perspective. But it’s terrible for the team captain to do it and it’s something I see in him all the time, because like it or not, he has a relatively high error rate in him.

I don't think Gillett would captain material in a lot of sides, but with our young side, with all the experienced players being kinda average, he's definitely not a bad option. Yeah, sometimes he sounds like Farmer Fran in Waterboy, but who else do we have?

Last edited:
He misses tackles but he also is usually trying to make up fro defensive errors of those around him. Again, it hasn’t been ind display so much this season but previously he was always pressuring kickers, making last ditch tackles, charge downs, cleaning up loose balls. He’s done all the clean up work for us for a long time. A lot of it is under appreciated.

Yep and it’s why I like him as a player. Unlike far too many in our squad, at least he is trying to make up for his errors.

But that is what qualifies him as captain material?

Personally I’d hope for a bit higher ceiling, ie: someone inspirational who doesn’t make those errors so consistently in the first place...

I don't think Gillett would captain material in a lot of sides, but with our young side, with all the experienced players being kinda average, he's definitely not a bad option. Yeah, sometimes he sounds like Farmer Fran in Waterboy, but who else do we have?

And that is the point. He is being chosen, not because he is particularly suitable, but ONLY because almost everyone else ‘in our current squad’ is far LESS suitable...

And that is not particularly encouraging for our long term prospects...

Last edited:
And that is the point. He is being chosen, not because he is particularly suitable, but ONLY because almost everyone else ‘in our current squad’ is far LESS suitable...

And that is not particularly encouraging for our long term prospects...

At the risk of repeating myself , Mal Meninga picked him for the Captain of Qld.

Probably could be argued that it's due to the lack of suitable options, but he must have some leadership qualities if the big man is suggesting that.

Yep and it’s why I like him as a player. Unlike far too many in our squad, at least he is trying to make up for his errors.

But that is what qualifies him as captain material?

Personally I’d hope for a bit higher ceiling, ie: someone inspirational who doesn’t make those errors so consistently in the first place...

Yeah unfortunately that is exactly what I’m saying. We are starved for leaders at the moment. We either have to go with one of our old boys (Gillo, Macca, Glenn, or Boyd...and for me Gillo wins purely by process of elimination) or hope one of the young guys are an exceptional leader very early
in their careers a la Josh Jackson or RTS.

We don’t have a stand out option anywhere in our squad.

The only other option is to sign a marque player and leader but they are very rare and expensive and we would have to hope they can just walk into a team and be instantly accepted as a leader from all the existing players who were deemed not good enough to lead a club. Sounds like another recipe for tension between players and management.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Strop
  • Mustafur
  • Cavalo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncs1459
  • Skyblues87
  • PNG Broncos fan88
  • FACTHUNT
  • teampjta
  • Financeguy
  • Broncorob
  • LittleDavey
  • Foordy
  • Mr Fourex
  • theshed
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.