Webcke in Action

Geez, he’s a lot faster in that video than I remember 😂

Awesome. There's **** all Webcke highlights out there, mostly because he played his career before YouTube was big, but also because he's not very flashy.

Awesome. There's **** all Webcke highlights out there, mostly because he played his career before YouTube was big, but also because he's not very flashy.
To be fair, how many highlight reels are there for any genuine Front Rowers out there?

Given he's been almost 15 years retired now (how time flies) I'm thinking he's really at the point where his career can be evaluated with an arms length enough approach and less recency bias.

That said, where does he sit in the NRL era, or even the relatively modern era (say, from the start of the 80's onwards?

He's certainly got to be quite close to the best in the NRL era in my opinion, but there was also a fairly vintage crop of Front Rowers just before his time (Lazarus, Dowling, Chief etc) so I'd be curious to see how people thought he stacked up against the likes of those guys as well?

Also, who in the era since he's retired belongs in the elite Front Rower category? Petero maybe?

Last edited:
Elite category that I saw:

Lazarus
Webcke
Petero
Steve Price
Matt Scott
Gallen (based on his origin performances at prop)
Brent Kite (for a brief time only)
Harrigan
Haas
Wiki

These are the ones I'd put up there from Webcke's era on.

Elite category that I saw:

Lazarus
Webcke
Petero
Steve Price
Matt Scott
Gallen (based on his origin performances at prop)
Brent Kite (for a brief time only)
Harrigan
Haas
Wiki

These are the ones I'd put up there from Webcke's era on.

I was lucky enough to see all those guys too so I'll weigh in:

Lazarus - Big tick, probably the benchmark modern Prop to set the standard for 'Elite'.
Webcke - Also big tick. In the top handful of modern Props
Petero - Again, big tick. His leadership adds another dimension here. Maybe just below the first two in talent though.
Steve Price - See above
Matt Scott - Same boat as Petero and Price
Gallen (based on his origin performances at prop) - Doesn't qualify, he was a Lock 95% of his career.
Brent Kite (for a brief time only) - Not even in the conversation for mine
Harrigan - I'm inclined to say he fits in around Petero, Price, Scott. Close to elite.
Haas - Too early to call, could be the best of all though on his current trajectory.
Wiki - Maybe a little underrated. How many Props also played Centre at an elite level? Not quite elite as a Prop but still very, very good.

Last edited:
I was there for the try against Wests - 1996 I think (might have been 1995). We beat them 36 - 6.

I'm pretty sure that was his first try in first grade.

I'm also pretty sure we won the reserve grade that day after the siren (Ricky Bird penalty from about 3/4 to touch on the left I believe).

Had the pleasure of meeting both Petero and Shane, both the most down to earth footballers I have ever had the pleasure to meet in person(some others I can't say the same).

Last edited:
What a wrecking ball.

If I had to pick 1 prop I’d go with Petero. He wouldn’t have the fanciest highlight reel but he’s the best I’ve seen. I remember he used to win the players Hardest to Tackle poll all the time.

Between him and Petero.

Always had a bit more love for Webbie though, don't know why. Loved being at his finale.

I'd put Webby above Petero tbh. Petero had more longevity in the game, but i think Webcke just was a bit better as a prop. Both terrific footy players though and both good guys.

Last edited:
I'd put Webby above Petero tbh. Petero had more longevity in the game, but i think Webcke just was a bit better as a prop. Both terrific footy players though and both good guys.
I agree, though I'd say Lazarus would slightly pip them both.

yeah wife works for QR and Webbie does stuff for them every now and then - said when she met him he was just an awesome dude, really affable.

I was lucky enough to see all those guys too so I'll weigh in:

Lazarus - Big tick, probably the benchmark modern Prop to set the standard for 'Elite'.
Webcke - Also big tick. In the top handful of modern Props
Petero - Again, big tick. His leadership adds another dimension here. Maybe just below the first two in talent though.
Steve Price - See above
Matt Scott - Same boat as Petero and Price
Gallen (based on his origin performances at prop) - Doesn't qualify, he was a Lock 95% of his career.
Brent Kite (for a brief time only) - Not even in the conversation for mine
Harrigan - I'm inclined to say he fits in around Petero, Price, Scott. Close to elite.
Haas - Too early to call, could be the best of all though on his current trajectory.
Wiki - Maybe a little underrated. How many Props also played Centre at an elite level? Not quite elite as a Prop but still very, very good.

Gallen played 80 in Origin the same year they got done for peptides. In no way does that count. He’s not even in touching distance of those guys.

Loved seeing those highlights. I love how he just ran full speed at everyone, every time.

Doesn’t have the muscle physique of guys these days and was only slightly taller than average, but would truck anyone in his way.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Fitzy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Brocko
  • Xzei
  • broncs30
  • Wolfie
  • Santa
  • heartly87
  • Fozz
  • GCBRONCO
  • bb_gun
  • Bucking Beads
  • Old Mate
  • Culhwch
  • BroncosAlways
  • The True King
  • azza.79
  • lynx000
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.