What do we do with the money?

If we spend our money on backrowers and centres/wingers this year we leave ourselves boned in future years when guys that play the positions we sorely need are available. I love Dave Taylor, and would welcome him (or Ben Te'o) back with open arms if we ever needed them, but we don't. If we buy another backrower, Thaiday goes back to prop. If we buy another centre/winger for 2015 we'll have to drop 2 of Reed, Copley, Hoffman and Vidot to fit them in. Not to mention guys like Kahu and Oates who should come into play when they return.

Basically anyone half decent in a position we need is already contracted. But come November, guys like DCE, Foran, Maloney, Sezer, Kelly, Reynolds, Ballin, Friend, Luke as well as some good younger guys in Lichaa and Cornish all hit the open market at the same time. So my vote would to be to keep the war chest largely intact for the next 8 months.

I still think Hoffman will go at the end of this year.

We'd still need to release him and now that the Dogs know they won't be getting him this year they have a lot of other options like Tedesco, Hiku, Locke, Roberts etc. Hell if they just wanted a strong ball-runner as their fullback Josh Mansour is off contract at the end of this year.

Well we may have a few players leaving at the end of this season, so it wouldn't be for the sake of it: Ben Hannant, Josh Hoffman (may be given a release), I don't see any point in resigning Stewart Mills, Jon Green is off contract and there will be others wanting to leave as well....I would really like to have DCE though :)

Well we may have a few players leaving at the end of this season, so it wouldn't be for the sake of it: Ben Hannant, Josh Hoffman (may be given a release), I don't see any point in resigning Stewart Mills, Jon Green is off contract and there will be others wanting to leave as well....I would really like to have DCE though :)
What's the point of letting the likes of Green and Mills go though? You've still got to have a squad of 25 as well as second tier players.

Totally agree with this. I think this whole truss thing came about by telling him there is no way he is getting a release this year, but drop the Instagram shit, give the team your all and if you still want to go at the end of this season we'll release you from your final year

It's kind of a strange situation. With Barba and Milford signing for what they did in today's salary cap we really are in a GREAT position cap wise. Art makes a great point -- we have a lot of good young forwards and outside backs who whilst may not grow into stars will still serve us pretty well (Copley, Vidot, Reed etc. -- maybe Maranta if he keeps it up, plus all our backrowers).

Thing is, we won't have that long with Milford and Barba at cheap rates -- particularly Barba, who I believe is eligible for a payrise in 2016, and when he does it'll be a massive one. The strange thing about our situation I feel is that we'll only have 1-2 years of this good situation.

True we could upgrade some of our players but we'll still be that half short, and this is such a great opportunity. It's a shame that there's not an aging gun half on the market we could have signed for a short period. Hell, with Milford and Barba in the team, it's such a shame we don't have Lockyer around for just 2 more years to guide them around to what would almost certainly be at least one premiership!

Last edited:
I wonder if Kevin Sinfield would ever come to Australia for a year or 2.

He's not that great.

He doesn't need to be another Thurston. He just needs to bring stability to the halves, which he is more than capable of doing.

Hunt could learn a thing or two from him.

I don't think Sinfield is really the answer because it'd likely take him too long to adapt.

I am normally 100% against comebacks, but gee, I really do wonder if Locky could be tempted to come back. Could you imagine the kind of havoc we'd cause with Lockyer setting up plays for Barba and Milford with guys like Vidot and Hodges on the edges and Gillett and Oates as angle runners?

We're actually in a great position salary cap wise, nobody on our team is getting paid that much, I think Milf is our highest paid next season at $450k or so..

I'll tell you what though, we fucked up big time by not chasing Widdop harder, close to the best Five-Eighth in the NRL at the moment based on form, would compliment Milford perfectly as well.

Think of what could've been..

1. Barba
6. Widdop
7. Milford
9. McCullough

:(

I'll tell you what though, we ****ed up big time by not chasing Widdop harder, close to the best Five-Eighth in the NRL at the moment based on form, would compliment Milford perfectly as well.

His kicking alone would be rather handy about now.

I am normally 100% against comebacks, but gee, I really do wonder if Locky could be tempted to come back. Could you imagine the kind of havoc we'd cause with Lockyer setting up plays for Barba and Milford with guys like Vidot and Hodges on the edges and Gillett and Oates as angle runners?

wtf ... you drunk ?

Hell, with Milford and Barba in the team, it's such a shame we don't have Lockyer around for just 2 more years to guide them around to what would almost certainly be at least one premiership!

would be a fine combination capable of scoring points and winning games but as I've stated here previously, there is absolutely no such thing as a premiership certainty in the NRL anymore ... the term is completely bygone

Last edited:
I don't think Sinfield is really the answer because it'd likely take him too long to adapt.

No doubt the skills are still there, albeit a little rusty, but it's only been a few years. But the defensive workload and the already noticeable speed increase in general play, he'd be found out quickly. He'd need a big Corvo pre-season and then probably 5-10 rounds to get back to his quality level. It'd be ugly (at times) in defence, beautiful in attack. Throw in the increased injury risk with his knees, ribs etc and the risk of tarnishing his legacy and it's just not worth it. Besides he's moved on with Nein and board/Origin commitments. Pity it's not the NFL. Locky could play for another 5 years easy

After the weekend, I want Broncos to sign Jarrod Croker. :smile:

I think Broncos should look outside of Australia for a good half. There aren't many realistic options in Australia, and I'm sure there would be a few halves in the UK that would be open to coming to Australia. It would be nice to have a back up option if nothing recruitment wise happens here.

If it takes time to adapt, then it takes time. It's better than bringing up a rookie.

Last edited:
After the weekend, I want Broncos to sign Jarrod Croker. :smile:

I think Broncos should look outside of Australia for a good half. There aren't many realistic options in Australia, and I'm sure there would be a few halves in the UK that would be open to coming to Australia. It would be nice to have a back up option if nothing recruitment wise happens here.

If it takes time to adapt, then it takes time. It's better than bringing up a rookie.

Disagree, I'd rather we have blood a rookie or give Hunt a season along side Milford, if it fails (Seems pretty odds on that he will fail at this point, but you never know), then we have a boatload of money for 2016, with Hunt off-contract as well, who wouldn't want to play with a spine of Barba, Milford, McCullough.

Unread

Active Now

• LGH
  • Skathen
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.