What do we do with the money?

what do we do with his money ?

front end as many contracts as we can.

Some how we need to find 2 really big front rowers that take control of the ruck area - you look at all the top teams and they have a couple of big blokes - tall - 6'3 or 6'4" athletic and weigh about 115gks to 120kgs and are intimidating and can play ball - we are in disparate need of a DCE - If we were prepared to spend a Million on Smith then spend $1.2m on DCE plus we need at least one other top notch centre - hodges is great when he is healthy but his playing days are coming to an end - Copely is showing very good promise and as I am not allowed on here to mention the name of the other current centre for fear of a kick in the bum then we need someone with a touch of class to run a muck out there as well
I believe we are in a great position salary cap wise and yes i do think Hoffman will go at seasons end along with Hannant which would leave us enough wriggle room to hunt down a couple of those guys.
I do not have the answers as to who is available and off contract in the positions i speak about above but you guys will know i guess

kennedy is amazing at controlling the ruck. what we need though is a forward that can make damaging (think burgess/fafita style) runs and a controlling half. i wouldn't mind sinfield for next year. not a super start playmaker but we don't really need a super start just solid.
otherwise. FRONT END!! are we allowed to renegotiate current contracts. tell the player you will pay them an extra $200k this year and take it out over the next two years. we have over a million to spare. use it to our advantage.

I wonder what the tax implications of front-loading contracts are, for the player's sake. Is it desirable? I guess that they are already paying the top level of tax whether they are on 200k or 600k.

The front-loading idea makes a lot of sense for the club in the context of our current situation.

Yeah, highest tax bracket is only 180k so front ending contracts shouldn't impact most players. They would actually get benefit if they offset any mortage or loans they had with the front ended money.

For those players that spend what they earn it might not be such a good deal.

We're actually in a great position salary cap wise, nobody on our team is getting paid that much, I think Milf is our highest paid next season at $450k or so..

I'll tell you what though, we fucked up big time by not chasing Widdop harder, close to the best Five-Eighth in the NRL at the moment based on form, would compliment Milford perfectly as well.

Think of what could've been..

1. Barba
6. Widdop
7. Milford
9. McCullough

:(
I really dislike seeing Milford named at 7.

I really dislike seeing Milford named at 7.

Why? He has pretty similar qualities to Shaun Johnson, and he does perfectly fine at Halfback (Albeit inconsistently, let's hope Milford is more consistent)

Why? He has pretty similar qualities to Shaun Johnson, and he does perfectly fine at Halfback (Albeit inconsistently, let's hope Milford is more consistent)
It's only a petty thing and it doesn't mean much when you have a half on either side of the field but I still like to see the more controlling player in the 7, I don't see Milford as that at all.

It's only a petty thing and it doesn't mean much when you have a half on either side of the field but I still like to see the more controlling player in the 7, I don't see Milford as that at all.

Neither do I. Nor do I see Johnson in that mould either. I always think of the old-fashioned halves - they're both creative, but the halfback does the passing (Anywhere from a Cronk to a Robson) and the five-eighth has the running game (Soward, Milford, etc). Thurston can be whatever number he wants because he is the best at both.

I understand the concept behind your hesitation, but let's be honest, is there any controlling players around the Broncos at the moment? Ben Hunt is about as far from in control as you can get on the football field.

I'd be open minded to suggestions for the 2015 halves though.

I understand the concept behind your hesitation, but let's be honest, is there any controlling players around the Broncos at the moment? Ben Hunt is about as far from in control as you can get on the football field.

I'd be open minded to suggestions for the 2015 halves though.
Yeah we are in a bit of strife in this regard, I still have hope for BHunt at this stage though.

Widdop was apparently always meant to be a halfback it suited him better but played 5/8th and fullback at storm

Widdop was apparently always meant to be a halfback it suited him better but played 5/8th and fullback at storm

He has always said he was a fullback, but changed to Five-Eighth when he realised he wasn't going to replace Slater, ever.

He has always said he was a fullback, but changed to Five-Eighth when he realised he wasn't going to replace Slater, ever.

True but his junior coaches and his dad thought he'd be a better halfback

First priority is push hard at DCE. Don't think there's any other halves off contract worth pursuing.

Failing that, I'd like to pick up one quality impact prop (e.g. Kasiano) and one quality young back with versatility(e.g Mansour). Think we're one big boy short of our ideal rotation, and as we're likely to lose Hoffman (IMO), I'd like to see a QUALITY replacement, with Reed, Maranta, Mills for depth.

First priority is push hard at DCE. Don't think there's any other halves off contract worth pursuing.

Failing that, I'd like to pick up one quality impact prop (e.g. Kasiano) and one quality young back with versatility(e.g Mansour). Think we're one big boy short of our ideal rotation, and as we're likely to lose Hoffman (IMO), I'd like to see a QUALITY replacement, with Reed, Maranta, Mills for depth.

If you want to go at DCE, don't worry about the "off-contract" part, because he's not.

If you want to go at DCE, don't worry about the "off-contract" part, because he's not.

But, as has been pointed out, some 3rd party agreements have fallen through, activating a clause that he can use to cancel his contract. Today if he wanted.

Unread

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • TimWhatley
  • broncos4life
  • marw
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Organix
  • Harry Sack
  • Pablo
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Culhwch
  • FACTHUNT
  • mieko
  • Justwin
  • Thelmus
  • Morkel
  • sooticus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.