What do you want this year?

Hamm.0

Hamm.0

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
It is subjective, much like the statement "he had the ability to come up big at big moments". My biggest criticism of Johns was his inability to produce when his team was under the pump, he rarely achieved those big plays at necessary times.

No doubt however, he was one of the best ever at putting away a team who was behind.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
mick! said:
Nashy said:
Jebadude said:
bigjim said:
I want the Titans to continue to be the little brother big brother Broncos can't tame, intimidate or dominate.
[icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1.

SIX PREMIERSHIPS TO ZERO!!!!!!!

How many have we won since they were in the comp?

Same number as the Chargers, Gladiators and Seagulls, I'd suggest [icon_lol1.

Lets not turn into another cocky team.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
- Melbourne to have a horrible year
- Slater to have an even worse year
- Hunt to be the only QLD and Australian fullback
- Broncos premiership
- Hunt, Lockyer, Thaiday etc. to re-sign with us
- Our forward pack to be one of the most dominant
- 4th SoO series win, hopefully in a very tight decider

Now what are the chances of all of those actually happening...

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Hammo said:
No doubt however, he was one of the best ever at putting away a team who was behind.

It is funny because that is the exact backhanded compliment/criticism of Fittler I have alwasy had. Would turn up late and put the opponent to the sword running at tired forwards.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Yep, and to be honest I thought Johns was more effective coming from behind (lolz) than Fittler. Fittler would go completely MIA.

Classic example: 2000 Grand Final. Did anyone see Fittler at all?
Example 2: 2003 Grand final.
I'm going to guess it was the same in 2004 but I refused to watch that one.

That said, if you asked me to name a game where Johns instigated a miraculous turnaround to see the Knights, NSW or Australia come from behind and win, I couldn't.

Locky: 3rd Test vs Great Britain in 2003 (or was it 2nd?). Either way the Poms looked to be home and hosed with 5 to go - Locky instigated 2 tries to win the game.
Stuart: 2nd Test vs Great Britain in 1990 - that dummy and link with Mal Meninga to score on full time.
Langer/Lewis: numerous times for Queensland in the 80s and 90s. Langer also for the Broncos in 1994 when time and again his forwards were dominated and he managed to inspire wins (also a few losses, disappointing season overall for the Broncos).

Hamm.0

Hamm.0

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Not to mention Locky always being there in the death throes of recent SoO and I think we know who the overall better player is/was.......

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Hammo said:
Not to mention Locky always being there in the death throes of recent SoO and I think we know who the overall better player is/was.......

[icon_lol1.

Locky the fullback vs Johns the halfback = TIE
Locky the 5/8th vs Johns the halfback = Johns WINS purely on the back of defense, I rate them both about the same with ball in hand and Locky beats him in rep footy, but half the game is defending and Johns was a giant of a defender while Lockyer is a mouse in the front line defense.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Yep. Who scored the try at the death in the 2007 Origin decider?
Who scored the golden point try in the 2006 Tri Nations final?
Who produced the kick for Denan Kemp's 4th try vs Parra?
Who kicked a 35m field goal off both uprights to win vs Tits in GP in 2007?
Who dummied and ran, linking with Eastwood to score the match winning try in GP vs Titans in 2008?

The answer to all of the above is Darren Lockyer. More match winning plays in his career than Johns IMO.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Coxy said:
Yep. Who scored the try at the death in the 2007 Origin decider?
Who scored the golden point try in the 2006 Tri Nations final?
Who produced the kick for Denan Kemp's 4th try vs Parra?
Who kicked a 35m field goal off both uprights to win vs Tits in GP in 2007?
Who dummied and ran, linking with Eastwood to score the match winning try in GP vs Titans in 2008?

The answer to all of the above is Darren Lockyer. More match winning plays in his career than Johns IMO.

I don't doubt that at all, but being a Broncos/QLD fan you would recall (as do I) less Knights tight finishes compared to Broncos ones but Johns has never won a SOO or Test late in the match to anywhere near the frequency or extent Lockyer has.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah, you're right, I honestly don't remember many close Knights victories. I can picture at least one close defeat - Hazem El Masri's sideline conversion against them in 2002...

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Coxy said:
Yeah, you're right, I honestly don't remember many close Knights victories. I can picture at least one close defeat - Hazem El Masri's sideline conversion against them in 2002...

I remember that too, Johns has done the exact same thing himself on at least a couple of occasions.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah, nice pass. Notice they had a 3-on-1 overlap too? Could've just gone quickly through the hands and same result. But Glory Boy did the big hero play....

Next.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Coxy said:
Yeah, nice pass. Notice they had a 3-on-1 overlap too? Could've just gone quickly through the hands and same result. But Glory Boy did the big hero play....

Next.

Did they win due to a side line conversion or not?

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
FCB - as has been mentioned, it was light-hearted go at Joey, you got over-protective about it, and, well l find it funny to see you crying about something I disagree with so decided to keep it going!!! (may have even been a "bait"!!!!)

We've had this argument before though. And I'll give the same argument I always do and that is that Johns may have been more talented than Lockyer but if you look at both careers, Lockyer has made a bigger stamp on the game. That cannot be denied.

Coxy and Hammo - great arguments!!! Johns's "big game moment to pull his team from the death" - wow, big whoop, a sideline conversion. I suppose Darryl Halligan, Michael O'Connor, Hazem El Masri, Aaron Gorrell, Mark Riddell and Ben Walker are also up there with the all-time greats of the game.

Unread

Active Now

• Canga
  • Broncorob
  • MrMoore
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Scorchie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.