VOTE What hurt worse; 2015 GF or the spoon?

Which hurt more?

• 2015 GF

Votes: 71 78.9%
  • 2020 season

Votes: 19 21.1%

• Total voters
The GF loss was like being raped and murdered.

The wooden spoon was like dying slowly and painfully of cancer over an extended period of time.

They both sucked with the same dastardly outcome, but while one was brutal and left me with life long PTSD; the other I had time to slowly get used to the horrific truth and say my goodbyes to family and friends.

2015 no doubt.
My first trip to a Broncos GF.
Started out well when I met some fellow BHQers B4l , porthos, and a few others.
Big pete was their somwhere but didnt show.
The game was fantastic but I will never forget the realization that we were trying to defend our lead from so far out.
I turned to my mate and said if we keep doing this we will open ourselves up to some bullshit hail mary lucky play and get rolled.
Nek minute.
It was all in slow mo that last play. Watching Oates hold his ground then coming in when Morgan had 3 defenders on him and nowhere to go, game over if he holds position.
Still not over it.

Weren't we in the same section as well?

That was a crazy trip I was surprised I even made it to the game. My plans fell through so I found myself having to catch the second last train to Sydney with no accomodation. I thought I'd get some sleep on the train but I had this young family in my carriage running amock for the entire 14 hour trip. Ended up staying at a 24/7 internet cafe just watching old games and talking to friends from overseas before setting off.

By the time I got on the train for Brissie, it'd been over three days since I had slept.

I loved the GF. Yeah they lost but the quality of the game was absolute top shelf. To think we used to have teams that were capable of playing at that level.

2015 was far worse

2020 was bad but I ended up finding it comical. Like literally laughing at some of the stuff they were doing (or weren’t doing) pretty well every match.

Hands down the GF. We were literally 15 seconds away from winning. A spoon means you’ve been getting pumped every week. eventually you get used to it and there’s only really an upside from then on. It’s pretty difficult to get back to a Grand final

the other I had time to slowly get used to the horrific truth and say my goodbyes to family and friends.

Exactly.

That's what I was illustrating with the timeline thread. That's what we've had to put up with on a weekly basis since the end of last season, since the players were busy playing the pokies the night before a sudden death game.

We're all extremely loyal on here and most of us are too stubborn to stop watching, but to put up with these performances week after week and try to find any positives was soul destroying. Especially in 2020 when football was supposed to be a distraction.

It was inescapable as well. You couldn't just follow the rest of the competition and watch all the magazine shows because it was all about the Broncos. Even so, the quality of Rugby League has been way down with teams struggling to be at their best during the pandemic and with the new rules thrown in.

at the end of the 2015 season, I felt heartbreak and despair

at the end of the 2015 season, I felt relief

Exactly.

That's what I was illustrating with the timeline thread. That's what we've had to put up with on a weekly basis since the end of last season, since the players were busy playing the pokies the night before a sudden death game.

We're all extremely loyal on here and most of us are too stubborn to stop watching, but to put up with these performances week after week and try to find any positives was soul destroying. Especially in 2020 when football was supposed to be a distraction.
That's why I embraced fatalism. I know football is supposed to be a distraction and entertainment and so on, but realistically if one were approaching the games this season with any degree of optimism, or were looking for positives post game, you were going to be sorely disappointed. Why look for something that's just not there? Accept it and ride it out.

Reading through this thread, so much emotion, sadness, anger, even tears, all those feelings which bind us together, as @Big Pete said, we loyal fans, so we are special, yeah, and so comments like "it's just a game" makes them not only stupid, but so NOT what we all stand for on here. As fans, we are the heart and soul of the game, we make the Broncos what it is, simply the best.

have to admit there was a little bit of joy for the 2020 season knowing that it lead to AS getting the arse and KW getting the job.

I loved the GF. Yeah they lost but the quality of the game was absolute top shelf. To think we used to have teams that were capable of playing at that level.
It was literally the worst Broncos VS Cowboys game of that season. The others were far better quality games in almost every single way.

You guys are mad, getting to a GF is awesome.
Losing it sucked sure, but we were good enough to get there.
That's the part that hurts about the GF. The fact we were there, winning, about to get another trophy for the case and we shat the bed. This year we were never in the hunt, and like so many have said if not for 2 individual efforts we might have finished with only 1 win. There always has to be a loser in a GF and I wish like hell it wasn't us.

That's the part that hurts about the GF. The fact we were there, winning, about to get another trophy for the case and we shat the bed. This year we were never in the hunt, and like so many have said if not for 2 individual efforts we might have finished with only 1 win. There always has to be a loser in a GF and I wish like hell it wasn't us.
I think the matter of how we lost plays a huge part too.

If we made the final and got flogged, or comprehensively beaten, it would suck of course but we could at least look at it objectively and go, yeah but we were never in that game/were never winning that game/never even turned up. At least, I'd be ok (well not OK i'd be furious) and could accept that we got done by a better team on the night.

But a last second equalizer and a golden point with no opportunity to level? No one can stomach that without grief.

That's why I embraced fatalism. I know football is supposed to be a distraction and entertainment and so on, but realistically if one were approaching the games this season with any degree of optimism, or were looking for positives post game, you were going to be sorely disappointed. Why look for something that's just not there? Accept it and ride it out.

Because fans want to be abreast of the situation. If you're a diehard like most fans on here, you're going to watch every game no matter what and pick it apart to get to the truth of the matter. Of course fans would like to find positives, but there was just rarely anything to be positive about.

Keep in mind too, while this season looked like a dud from the outset, it didn't look like Western Magpies 1999 bad until the resumption. 2-0 to start the year and the Broncos actually looked like a Top 8 side.

Reading through this thread, so much emotion, sadness, anger, even tears, all those feelings which bind us together, as @Big Pete said, we loyal fans, so we are special, yeah, and so comments like "it's just a game" makes them not only stupid, but so NOT what we all stand for on here. As fans, we are the heart and soul of the game, we make the Broncos what it is, simply the best.
Really? Still with the out of context 'it's just a game'? Give the DB bashing a fucking rest. You're just being a bit hard here. No, not because I'm cranky but it's time you moved on. You know damn well what DB was referring too when that quote was put out there.

It was literally the worst Broncos VS Cowboys game of that season. The others were far better quality games in almost every single way.

Doesn't change the fact it was an epic, great quality game. All games between the Broncs and the Cows that year were phenomenal.

Active Now

• Mighty Bronx
  • Skathen
  • ettybay
  • Battler
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • pennywisealfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.