What is happening at the Broncos?

It makes no difference either way if he is set on retiring or moving to another club.
Well Barba most certainly could have. I'm not sure how it went down that he was moved on but as far as ability goes, he obviously could have added something to the team. I'm not sure what happened to Kennedy either. I was happy when he signed but even with the PED's he sucked. Hoffman was hardly a superstar but he wasn't that bad either. Just a typical journeyman. Most teams have at least 1 or 2.
I hope you are right. To me it's looking like Boyd is deadwood now. In 3 years I can hardly imagine how bad he will be.

Barba could have added something at fullback but didn’t. Needed a Wayne Bennett not a griffin to sort him out. Kennedy was a marshmallow even on the juice. Hoffman was amazing on the wing and wing only.

I find it funny how a lot of people are having a chuckle about players being loyal to the club. It was only today that Boyd stated that its a well known fact and has been for a while that the Bronco's are able to pay players less for the benefits of playing for a professional club with great facilities

Then why isn’t Boyd on what he’s worth 400 a year -100 for loyalty. 300 for 3 years sounds right for him?

Hunt was the half (and Milf the 5/8) we needed pretty much in THAT year nobody likes to mention anymore. How things have changed.
I thought he was fantastic in 2015 but we never saw that again. It's been said 1000 times already but it's true, Hunt and Milf were too similar and like our current halves lacked a controlling element. Both seemed to drift in and out of games and neither player could consistently grab a game at a crucial stage and hold it together. Widdop can, I see him as the dominant half... Allowing Hunt to chime in and be his brilliant self.

It would be included in the cap ... Since he would only get the cash if he played for us.

Yes if that’s the condition officially. But if it is for a specific service I.e visit sick kids in Lady Cilento hospital and needs weekly visits that can only be done by living in Brisbane then no. Just like any other business who needs player to be locally available or recognisable. Need a lot of fans willing to pony up and player would need to give back.

I'm happy for hunt and look forward to him playing for Qld. I think Mary has done a wonderful job with that tesm. I doubt he would have any grudges with Wayne Bennet as he just seems to be the kind of guy to get on with things and not dwell too much (grand final aside).
Even when he was dropped last year, he came back better and stronger. He's changed clubs and just kept going. You got to love that as an attitude in a player.

Then why isn’t Boyd on what he’s worth 400 a year -100 for loyalty. 300 for 3 years sounds right for him?
After Sammy retires will Boyd be eligible for the veteran players allowance??

He's pretty well the oldest player in the team so that's $300k off right there

After Sammy retires will Boyd be eligible for the veteran players allowance??

He's pretty well the oldest player in the team so that's $300k off right there

he would be eligible if he didn't leave ... I think you need to be at the one club for 8 years to be eligible, but could be wrong.

we will have other eligible players though like Glenn, Gillett, McGuire, McCullough etc

It would be included in the cap ... Since he would only get the cash if he played for us.

Really?

I thought it was cap exempt as long as the club had no involvement

If you are right though, I don't see how many 3rd parties would work

Let's face it, "Brisbane Honda" are not going to sign a 3rd party agreement with a player playing in Sydney

Really?

Let's face it, "Brisbane Honda" are not going to sign a 3rd party agreement with a player playing in Sydney

It would actually be illegal.

Third party deals cannot be used for the purpose of enticing a player to stay at the club. Although it would be up to the NRL to prove that is the motivation.

The only time third party deals are exempt from the cap is if the deals are sourced by the player or manager and the company that the deal is with has no affiliation with the club. Otherwise, they are counted towards the cap.

Really?

yep ... the second a TPA is only available as an enticement to play for a certain club, it is no longer cap exempt.

Wow, that makes it so much harder to get a TPA in Brisbane

Not so bad in Sydney, as you could be the face of a large Sydney/NSW business regardless of if you play for Cronulla, or Parra or whoever else

But imagine you are trying to source a 3rd party deal for Jack Bird for instance.....a QLD based business won't want to do that if there's a chance he might return to Sydney

Makes it a bit harder

It would actually be illegal.

Third party deals cannot be used for the purpose of enticing a player to stay at the club. Although it would be up to the NRL to prove that is the motivation.

The only time third party deals are exempt from the cap is if the deals are sourced by the player or manager and the company that the deal is with has no affiliation with the club. Otherwise, they are counted towards the cap.

Yeah I knew they couldn't have an affiliation with the club, but you don't need to have an affiliation with the club itself to not want the player you sponsor to move to a different state

I am super witty tbf, but you did say you were done with talking about him. See.

Maybe it would be in everyones interests if you did check with me before you posted anything just to be on the safe side.

I was being sarcastic about you being witty.......

Thanks for the offer but no thanks. I'm just glad you are paying such close attention to what I post, even when replying to another user (unless you are using multiple usernames).

Anyway, this ******* aside, what the hell is going on? I thought this thread needed to be resurrected.

IMO the salary cap is completely out of whack. Boyd and obviously Bird are on massive overs. In their defence, a few years ago when Boyd was at his best he would have been worth what he is on. Much like Milf, Bird may be an excellent running 5/8 with a good playmaker at half but better than Milf? I haven't seen any evidence that would be the case. I remember the GF a few years ago, Bird played very well in the centres but even then, he just ran hard, didn't make any mistakes but a lot of meters. With Holmes and Barba at his best, that was enough. Milf isn't much good without a good game-manager, ball player partnering him in the halves.

Roberts and Oates are obviously better than average. The rest average at best but not on big money so not a long-term problem (as Bird and Boyd are going to be in regard to the salary cap). Ditto for the forwards. Not the best pack in the competition but far from the worst. Sims won't be re-signed, Glenn probably won't be next year and let's wait and see how Gillett goes when he comes back. Depending on who is coming through the ranks, Macca and McGuire had better improve if they want to be re-signed.

It must completely piss several players off at how much more money Bird is on given what they bring and what he brings to the team. I guess this is one of the main reasons so many are intent on "testing their value on the market" rather than just re-signing as what used to happen.

I was being sarcastic about you being witty.......

Thanks for the offer but no thanks. I'm just glad you are paying such close attention to what I post, even when replying to another user (unless you are using multiple usernames).

Anyway, this ******* aside, what the hell is going on? I thought this thread needed to be resurrected.

IMO the salary cap is completely out of whack. Boyd and obviously Bird are on massive overs. In their defence, a few years ago when Boyd was at his best he would have been worth what he is on. Much like Milf, Bird may be an excellent running 5/8 with a good playmaker at half but better than Milf? I haven't seen any evidence that would be the case. I remember the GF a few years ago, Bird played very well in the centres but even then, he just ran hard, didn't make any mistakes but a lot of meters. With Holmes and Barba at his best, that was enough. Milf isn't much good without a good game-manager, ball player partnering him in the halves.

Roberts and Oates are obviously better than average. The rest average at best but not on big money so not a long-term problem (as Bird and Boyd are going to be in regard to the salary cap). Ditto for the forwards. Not the best pack in the competition but far from the worst. Sims won't be re-signed, Glenn probably won't be next year and let's wait and see how Gillett goes when he comes back. Depending on who is coming through the ranks, Macca and McGuire had better improve if they want to be re-signed.

It must completely piss several players off at how much more money Bird is on given what they bring and what he brings to the team. I guess this is one of the main reasons so many are intent on "testing their value on the market" rather than just re-signing as what used to happen.

Hahah you have no idea , Macca and Moose are here until 2021
Glenn 2019

When one runs a company, the pressure and biggest responsibility starts at the top and then flows down. At what point do the powers that be look at the performance of Bennett and simply say "it's time"? Hell I am still upset at the way he managed the last 20 minutes of the GF in 2015 but that's a different story.

Today's story is all about signs of being feeble and signs of placating individuals as opposed to the greater good. The greater good being the team. You start at the assigning of captain. In no universe is Boyd deserving of captain. He is no leader and plays way more poor games than good games. For every inspirational moment, there are a multitude of moments that are not inspirational.

My next gripe is the placating of Bird. Let's try him at this position, followed by another and so on and so on. The end result is poor performances from all positions and some pretty upset teammates who have either been shown the bench or been moved from their customary position. This talk of playing in lock is absurd. On what planet would you put him their ahead of TPJ? I really don't want to hear anymore excuses. Here is an idea...get fit, I mean really fit to show you are dedicated to your job. Play a few convincing games at the lower and level and then and only then will you earn a bench spot. Do you think the defence was better for not having Opacaic in yesterday? Of course not.

It is easy to blame things on injury but every side must work with injuries. The bottom line is that Bennett has done a shocking job of coaching this side. This year has been his worst. There is zero structure offensively. At what point does the Bronco brass give Wayne the tap and say enough is enough? Honestly, I could care less if we don't make the eight but develop the future and stop making the same mistakes over and over again. To put Nikorima in at 7 does not work. For goodness sake, put an actual halfback in the halfback position and let them develop. To make the same mistakes over and over isn't only insane, it's actually a choice. It's time to replace the feeble coach and the feeble coaches "Son" who happens to be captain. Loyalty for the sake of loyalty wont win in this case.

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • Wolfie
  • Viti
  • Sproj
  • BruiserMk1
  • BroncosMan
  • Battler
  • Fatboy
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Bucking Beads
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Spooky1013
  • broncs30
  • Harry Sack
  • porouian
  • Bronx48
  • vertigo
  • Volvo Driver
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • RodF
... and 44 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.