What is happening at the Broncos?

Players have to earn that starting spot and right now Glenn is earning that spot.

You don’t just give players a starting spot so they won’t go.

I think these days you need to offer them something , give a start next year and keep glenn on the bench . Sometimes you need to have foresight or you will loose your future.

Good on Oates for testing his value on the open market.

Loyalty lol.

Sheer versatility will ensure he'll attract some big offers.

He's certainly walking the walk. His last couple of games have been great. He's playing like he wants a big contract.

Good on him.

Good on Oates for testing his value on the open market.

Loyalty lol.

Sheer versatility will ensure he'll attract some big offers.

He's certainly walking the walk. His last couple of games have been great. He's playing like he wants a big contract.

Good on him.
I find it funny how a lot of people are having a chuckle about players being loyal to the club. It was only today that Boyd stated that its a well known fact and has been for a while that the Bronco's are able to pay players less for the benefits of playing for a professional club with great facilities

I find it funny how a lot of people are having a chuckle about players being loyal to the club. It was only today that Boyd stated that its a well known fact and has been for a while that the Bronco's are able to pay players less for the benefits of playing for a professional club with great facilities

I don't doubt that.

I think it's a testamant to the club and the brand that the Broncos is still considered the most prestigious club in the NRL with its resources and facilities.

It also brings baggage and pressure.

It was only today Ben Hunt was waxing lyrical about how there is so much less pressure on him and Mary lets him play his natural game.

If a player can get paid a shit load more to do the same job without any bullshit pressure I can't begrudge them taking it.

Except most players are fans too, so if the club you love wants you and has a reputation for taking care of you, taking a little less is certainly not always a bad option to take. Doesn’t count though if it is a boat(load) less.

this is an absolutely nothing story and a waste of air time ...

regardless of what a player says publicly, they ALL test their value on the open market. their managers would be well aware of a ball park figure at the very least... to believe otherwise is simply naive, it is no longer the 1960s

Any chance the rumors are true that Bird wants to move back to Sydney? We'll then have a better chance to retain Oates, Sua, TPJ & maybe Lodge? It's hypothetical for sure but, wouldn't mind at all if it turn out to be!

Pain to see any of these players at other clubs especially when they were from our system & love playing here. We already lost enough. Stop being a breeding club for others to poach.

Any chance the rumors are true that Bird wants to move back to Sydney? We'll then have a better chance to retain Oates, Sua, TPJ & maybe Lodge? It's hypothetical for sure but, wouldn't mind at all if it turn out to be!

Pain to see any of these players at other clubs especially when they were from our system & love playing here. We already lost enough. Stop being a breeding club for others to poach.

When have ANY of the ‘rumours’ about Bird been true? Each and every single one of them has been refuted, mostly by Bird himself...

Particularly if they offer him a spot in the back row.
What doesn't really get mentioned is that way back when Oates first started talking about going to 2nd row (I think it was before signing his contract last year) it was mentioned that he wanted second row because they get paid more or something along those lines.

Who would be paying $600k for an untested second rower?? Because that is basically what he is after.

Storm are pretty much tight asses so whilst he might get a second row spot there he wouldn't be getting anywhere near what he is currently getting.

Rabbits may offer him the world, but there's no guarantee he keeps the second row spot whilst also keeping his pay packet. Supposedly bunnies are after felise and papa as well and you'd think marquee second row money would go to one of them before an untried second rower not to mention a large chunk of change invested in Sammy B. That would be a significant amount of money in the back row.

I think the only place he gets what he wants pay wise with a pathway to second row is the broncos. Other locations just seem smoke and mirrors unless he's willing to take a pay cut and considering he chose to play wing this year (his contract year) over plying his second row trade in ISC or off the bench it would appear money is a high priority.

I have no doubt he'd make a great second rower, but it would be a risk to sign him untried in that position at a starter's wage

Every time I hear Ben Hunt interviewed regarding his form and how the Dragons are going I always hear him say: Mary just allows me to play my type of footy. Ive heard him say this probably 3 or 4 times now. Make me really question whether Bennett allowed him to play how he wanted at the Broncs.
Could this possibly be what is happening with the likes of Bird and Milf (although he is improving..)
It’s just something I’ve picked up on him saying a few times now..its almost like its a bit of a jab at WB/Broncos.

Every time I hear Ben Hunt interviewed regarding his form and how the Dragons are going I always hear him say: Mary just allows me to play my type of footy. Ive heard him say this probably 3 or 4 times now. Make me really question whether Bennett allowed him to play how he wanted at the Broncs.
Could this possibly be what is happening with the likes of Bird and Milf (although he is improving..)
It’s just something I’ve picked up on him saying a few times now..its almost like its a bit of a jab at WB/Broncos.
He is playing his type of game. He plays what he sees as a running halfback behind a great pack with a shitload of backline talents.... Widdop controls and kicks like a fucking demon allowing Hunt to do what he does best. Hunt never was going to be the Half we needed and we've invested in Milf so IMO we had to move 1 of them on to move forward.

I don't think Widdop controls the game particulalry better than Hunt. Their forward pack is probably the best in the NRL at the moment, and when you have forwards rolling as well as they do, you can get away with two running halfbacks more. Don't need as much creativity or organisation when you have so much space and time.

Granted, they both can play as a halfback when needed too. Not as well as a quality halfback but better than Milf at least.

Maybe we should do a go fund me page for Oates and if enough members donate there should be a few hundred thousand for his use

Is this against cap rules? I would deadset donate to player gofundmes lol. Imagine how rustled Sydney fans with shit all members would be...

Is this against cap rules? I would deadset donate to player gofundmes lol. Imagine how rustled Sydney fans with shit all members would be...

It would be included in the cap ... Since he would only get the cash if he played for us.

He is playing his type of game. He plays what he sees as a running halfback behind a great pack with a shitload of backline talents.... Widdop controls and kicks like a fucking demon allowing Hunt to do what he does best. Hunt never was going to be the Half we needed and we've invested in Milf so IMO we had to move 1 of them on to move forward.

Hunt was the half (and Milf the 5/8) we needed pretty much in THAT year nobody likes to mention anymore. How things have changed.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.