What is happening at the Broncos?

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
If you’re nothing else, you’re damn predictable.

In my short time on here I have observed that your go to move is to focus intently on one finite part of someone’s comment and proceed to ramble on by defining words and pointing out how you’ve used the exact words, as defined, that you meant to use.

So; I’ve said what I wanted to say, you’ve said what you wanted.
You’ve enlightened me, like so many lucky others on here, via your condescending and pretentious lesson in English at the same time as adding bugger all to the conversation. Seriously, all that text and no actual substance - absolute froth and bubbles.

Straw man? Sure, whatever works for you!
Great ! We're clear then. Condescension when it's merited but reserved for those that misrepresent my words. You see, in your case I went to the heart of the matter. I had no need to again make my case and consequently added little to the conversation.

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017
Great ! We're clear then. Condescension when it's merited but reserved for those that misrepresent my words. You see, in your case I went to the heart of the matter. I had no need to again make my case and consequently added little to the conversation.
Feel free to dress it up however you like.

One thing is clear to me though; unlike us mere mortals, you’re one of those very lucky and rare people that has never been wrong. About anything.

Does it get tiring? Is it lonely?

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
I like condensation when it is merited.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Feel free to dress it up however you like.

One thing is clear to me though; unlike us mere mortals, you’re one of those very lucky and rare people that has never been wrong. About anything.

Does it get tiring? Is it lonely?
Actually, unlike most on here, I admit error and take total ownership of my mistakes. A simple search will find at least three occasions (likely more) where I have openly admitted to error so no, there's nothing lucky about it. I will happily accept your apology after you've found a post where I publicly admit I was wrong about something.

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
I will say this. Portoz makes a valid point about game to game tactics in that Bennet doesn't orchestrate teams game tactics to the same degree that say a Bellamy or Gould would do. There is direction given to team weaknesses, but the how is largely left to the spine.
Is this a weakness? Some could see it as such in a team that lacks the ability to organise itself at times.
But thats always been the way of Bennet's teams. I don't think it's a lack of authority to do so, but a willingness to give players a chance to express their strengths (and yes sometimes weaknesses) in a loose structure that offers as much leahway for the halves and fullback as he can. By doing so he is giving them a chance to grow as players.
If we were Melbourne, milford would not have a kicking game, remained a fullback, and probably be discarded when his primary attributes: speed and agility proved insufficient to team structure. Likewise tpj would be used as a prop, Oates would be a reserve grade second rower and opacic would have played maybe 30 more games as a centre. Why?
Bellamy shapes players to a like-for-like fit, in a team where everyone plays a chosen role.
It's a different strategy, and I'm sure some players have suffered for it, but you can't argue with results. Let's just see if produces results, post Cronk, slater, Smith.
They turn the screw and everyone knows their role, but addo-carr will never play centre, Munster won't move from the halves. If he falls or fails, his replacement will be there to fit the role.

N

Number6

QCup Player
May 21, 2016
I will say this. Portoz makes a valid point about game to game tactics in that Bennet doesn't orchestrate teams game tactics to the same degree that say a Bellamy or Gould would do. There is direction given to team weaknesses, but the how is largely left to the spine.
Is this a weakness? Some could see it as such in a team that lacks the ability to organise itself at times.
But thats always been the way of Bennet's teams. I don't think it's a lack of authority to do so, but a willingness to give players a chance to express their strengths (and yes sometimes weaknesses) in a loose structure that offers as much leahway for the halves and fullback as he can. By doing so he is giving them a chance to grow as players.
If we were Melbourne, milford would not have a kicking game, remained a fullback, and probably be discarded when his primary attributes: speed and agility proved insufficient to team structure. Likewise tpj would be used as a prop, Oates would be a reserve grade second rower and opacic would have played maybe 30 more games as a centre. Why?
Bellamy shapes players to a like-for-like fit, in a team where everyone plays a chosen role.
It's a different strategy, and I'm sure some players have suffered for it, but you can't argue with results. Let's just see if produces results, post Cronk, slater, Smith.
They turn the screw and everyone knows their role, but addo-carr will never play centre, Munster won't move from the halves. If he falls or fails, his replacement will be there to fit the role.

Really cause Munster was fullback until Slater came back. Addo-Carr doesn’t need to play centre he is a good winger. Prop and lock for TPJ very similar so not seeing the massive difference (just get McGuire out of his ball playing lock delusions). What would be wrong with Milf playing fullback? Would pay good money for that...

Agree Bellamy plays to a structure and gives players well defined roles but also adapts where needs to.

Don’t understand the focus on Bellamy vs Bennett argument?

Both teams aren’t going great.

Issue is more why and how to fix it.

Last edited:
T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
Really cause Munster was fullback until Slater came back. Addo-Carr doesn’t need to play centre he is a good winger. Prop and lock for TPJ very similar so not seeing the massive difference (just get McGuire out of his ball playing lock delusions). What would be wrong with Milf playing fullback? Would pay good money for that...

Agree Bellamy plays to a structure and gives players well defined roles but also adapts where needs to.

Don’t understand the focus on Bellamy vs Bennett argument?

Both teams aren’t going great.

Issue is more why and how to fix it.
I'm not sure we can "fix" it as there is little wrong with how our side is developing outside the halfback role. It's going to take time to fill it, and we don't have a player of the calibre we are used to. For now we have our stop-gap solutions. The best we can do is share the role around with other players of the spine. This is easier with macca fit now, and boyd regaining form.
The point was players tend to stick to defined roles under bellamy and more structured coaches. they play more readily to a game-to-game tactic as they have defined roles within a greater strategy, and are allowed less room to experiment with their skills. This is not necessarily a criticism but simply a mindset of the coach. My point was it does inhibit freedom to grow as a player. bennet deliberately gives the spine more freedom to grow and experiment with their play to find a more natural style.
Slater's role is that of a second 5/8 at the storm in regard to his fullback play.
I think TPJ is far more involved in the play as a lock and is used as a pivot on a number of occasions. He offloads and passed in both roles but the lock allows time on the ball, where as with prop he really is expected to use it or "lose" it.
As for milford playing fullback? there is nothing wrong except there is little room for a kicking game and he would be using the ball far less. Would he be defending in the line? probably not. Would he be a better organiser than others for our defence? who knows? but canberra were hardly fool proof in that area. I think he could do both roles easily but with the money he is now on, he needs to use the ball as much as possible and be central to it.
As a fullback he would be touching it 1 or twice a set. Some see that as a good thing. I think our most expensive player should be given as much chance to use all his skills as he can. He may be heavily marked but there is no-one we have (with the exception of boyd) with the vision to play the role of 5/8 and by doing so he is learning more than just passing or running.

R

Reyter

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
Personally I have an idea that WB has done the same thing at 3 clubs in a row and given the long-term contract extension of Boyd and recruitment of Bird on big money, I wonder if he is doing it again.

That is, signing players on back-ended deals, and then leaving when they were coming due, seeing the team fall off a cliff and having his fan boys use it as an example of how good a coach WB is because his teams fall off a cliff as soon as he leaves. I know he did that at Newcastle. Not sure about the salary cap situation at the Broncos when he left last time or at St George. I couldn't be bothered searching for the info. Just a suspicion I have.

Regardless, I'm not trying to say he isn't a good coach but IMO to claim he is a better coach than Bellamy now is like claiming McCullough is a better hooker than Smith. I think the best coach in the competition right now is Ivan Cleary and the most valuable player, Ben Hunt. Not sure that right now I would rate WB in the top 8 of coaches. Ditto for McCullough for hookers. But please WB fan boys, don't flip out on me. It's just my opinion and whether you like it or not, I'm entitled to state it.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Personally I have an idea that WB has done the same thing at 3 clubs in a row and given the long-term contract extension of Boyd and recruitment of Bird on big money, I wonder if he is doing it again.

That is, signing players on back-ended deals, and then leaving when they were coming due, seeing the team fall off a cliff and having his fan boys use it as an example of how good a coach WB is because his teams fall off a cliff as soon as he leaves. I know he did that at Newcastle. Not sure about the salary cap situation at the Broncos when he left last time or at St George. I couldn't be bothered searching for the info. Just a suspicion I have.

Regardless, I'm not trying to say he isn't a good coach but IMO to claim he is a better coach than Bellamy now is like claiming McCullough is a better hooker than Smith. I think the best coach in the competition right now is Ivan Cleary and the most valuable player, Ben Hunt. Not sure that right now I would rate WB in the top 8 of coaches. Ditto for McCullough for hookers. But please WB fan boys, don't flip out on me. It's just my opinion and whether you like it or not, I'm entitled to state it.

Get some new bait bro. The Wayne Bennett thing is played out.

R

Reyter

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
Get some new bait bro. The Wayne Bennett thing is played out.
If that were the WB fan boy (as opposed to those of us who support the team before any individual associated with it) "Huge" (I mean the guy who calls himself "Huge") he would call it "condescending, passive aggressiveness" and I think it was was "Wolfie" would praise it for being witty.........

Anyway, it's fine if like Boyd's 4 year contract extension and Birds 4 year contract, that ship has sailed. It will almost certainly call back into port long before this season is over. Surely they will account for Manly this weekend but the equally poor Roosters are looking like important opponents. A good opportunity to see if the team is above or below average if the Roosters are considered average.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013

There's a crucial flaw in this theory. Bennett has said that this will be his last club he coaches at.

He also loves the Broncos. Even while doing coaching stints at other clubs he said that he is Bronco through and through.

Why would he leave a club he loves in a bad state?

R

Reyter

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
There's a crucial flaw in this theory. Bennett has said that this will be his last club he coaches at.

He also loves the Broncos. Even while doing coaching stints at other clubs he said that he is Bronco through and through.

Why would he leave a club he loves in a bad state?
If the team goes off a cliff right around the time he departs, won't that further my theory?
Did he? I didn't hear that. Not saying he didn't say it, just I never heard it.
Sure. But does he love the club more than his own legacy? I'm not making a judgement either way. We can only speculate as no one knows other than WB himself.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
If the team goes off a cliff right around the time he departs, won't that further my theory?
Did he? I didn't hear that. Not saying he didn't say it, just I never heard it.
Sure. But does he love the club more than his own legacy? I'm not making a judgement either way. We can only speculate as no one knows other than WB himself.

I'm pretty sure he said something along the lines of not wanting to coach at another club when he returned in 2015 or it may have been after his contract extension. He has flipped in the past though so if the right offer came his way who knows?

I expect the club will go through a rebuilding phase once he leaves but that's true of any coach. Very rarely will an incoming coach be happy with the current roster. They'll surely want to bring in their own players and stamp their own take on the team.

That's just part and parcel of the coaching merry go round though - not a conspiracy to purposely derail a club.

I mean Griffin didn't deliberately leave us with Kennedy, Hoffman, Barba etc. He thought they could add something to the team.

Same with Boyd. We signed Boyd because we think he can add something to the team - not as part of a ploy to leave a club with dead weight.

R

Reyter

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
I'm pretty sure he said something along the lines of not wanting to coach at another club when he returned in 2015 or it may have been after his contract extension. He has flipped in the past though so if the right offer came his way who knows?

I expect the club will go through a rebuilding phase once he leaves but that's true of any coach. Very rarely will an incoming coach be happy with the current roster. They'll surely want to bring in their own players and stamp their own take on the team.

That's just part and parcel of the coaching merry go round though - not a conspiracy to purposely derail a club.

I mean Griffin didn't deliberately leave us with Kennedy, Hoffman, Barba etc. He thought they could add something to the team.

Same with Boyd. We signed Boyd because we think he can add something to the team - not as part of a ploy to leave a club with dead weight.
It makes no difference either way if he is set on retiring or moving to another club.
Well Barba most certainly could have. I'm not sure how it went down that he was moved on but as far as ability goes, he obviously could have added something to the team. I'm not sure what happened to Kennedy either. I was happy when he signed but even with the PED's he sucked. Hoffman was hardly a superstar but he wasn't that bad either. Just a typical journeyman. Most teams have at least 1 or 2.
I hope you are right. To me it's looking like Boyd is deadwood now. In 3 years I can hardly imagine how bad he will be.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

Didnt you say you were done with talking about Bennett?

R

Reyter

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
Didnt you say you were done with talking about Bennett?
More of that super-witty passive aggressiveness or do I need to check with you before I post anything? I was sick of it but was reading about Hasler at Manly and Canterbury and had the theory it also applies to WB. I know it did at Newcastle but as I said about Broncos last time and St George.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
More of that super-witty passive aggressiveness or do I need to check with you before I post anything? I was sick of it but was reading about Hasler at Manly and Canterbury and had the theory it also applies to WB. I know it did at Newcastle but as I said about Broncos last time and St George.

I am super witty tbf, but you did say you were done with talking about him. See.

As for WB, I'm tired of arguing about it so if it's ok with you, let's leave it at that.

Maybe it would be in everyones interests if you did check with me before you posted anything just to be on the safe side.

roo-ted

roo-ted

NRL Player
Oct 8, 2017
Ben Creagh.....Origin....LOL

creagh.gif
Hodges could smell his fear lol

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Foordy
  • Pablo
  • Swordfish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.