What now for 2019?

October 8 the three interviewers flew to Sydney to interview Seibold.

That may have been the first "official" contact, but there's been murmurs of him essentially signing on the dotted line within the week or so after Bellamy re-signed.

Last edited:
I don't blame him losing Crichton, I blame him for not signing an adequate replacement.

Who was available? It was slim pickings. There were quite a few second rowers on the market, but very few quality options.

Rhyse Martin, Shaun Lane, Jamie Buhrer, Viliame Kikau, Joel Thompson, Boyd Cordner. That was really the best out of the list and how many of those were realistic chances of signing?

October 8 the three interviewers flew to Sydney to interview Seibold.

Talk was earlier, and it may have been on his mind once Bellamy stayed, as it was clear we weren’t going to keep Wayne long term.

Not saying it’s the reason, and as you say it’s hard to sign a rep level player in your first year

Do you ever really get to build much year one? Normally your first year you're stuck with what you have and year two and three are your bringing in years and changing what you want.

No and that's a fair point.

It's also why I'm tempering my expectations. I thought he did a great job at South Sydney, but he's still a first year coach with a lot to learn.

Rhyse Martin, Shaun Lane, Jamie Buhrer, Viliame Kikau, Joel Thompson, Boyd Cordner.

I wouldn't call that slim pickings and you forgot Jaydn Su'A and David Fifita were both off contract at the start of November 1st.

Su'A supposedly met with Souths and they couldn't get a deal sorted.

I'm not entirely sure how many players were available, especially if you include players from the lower grades and over the pond. I do know that Souths didn't sign an edge runner of note and now have to compromise their roster to make it work.

We haven't signed a halfback since Hunt announced he was leaving either.

Troy Dargan, Shaun Nona, Sean O'Sullivan.

Before then the Broncos signed Sam Scarlett & Benji Marshall just in case.

The Broncos also have the 2017 and 2018 Australian Schoolboys halfbacks on their books. Not to mention Cory Paix who may turn out better than both of them.

Troy Dargan, Shaun Nona, Sean O'Sullivan.

Before then the Broncos signed Sam Scarlett & Benji Marshall just in case.

The Broncos also have the 2017 and 2018 Australian Schoolboys halfbacks on their books. Not to mention Cory Paix who may turn out better than both of them.

Well, Souffs still have time to before next year starts, to sign some lower graders who likely won't end up playing FG either. + another year if you count someone like O'Sullivan, who joined a whole year after Hunt left.

If you are going to call Seibold's lack of replacement a blunder, then Bennett's is too.

Not necessarily because Bennett has options in place.

I don't see those options from Seibold. I'm happy to be proven wrong and for somebody to name me an edge forward who can do a job there, but I'm not seeing anyone.

At least with Bennett, not only did he sign talent, he also had the New Zealand halfback there. I couldn't blame him giving Kodi Nikorima a shot and hoping for the best.

I also didn't call it a blunder, just a concern. I may have upgraded it to 'it left something to be desired' which was extremely bold of me.

It's also why I'm tempering my expectations. I thought he did a great job at South Sydney, but he's still a first year coach with a lot to learn.

I wouldn't call that slim pickings and you forgot Jaydn Su'A and David Fifita were both off contract at the start of November 1st.

I'm not entirely sure how many players were available, especially if you include players from the lower grades and over the pond. I do know that Souths didn't sign an edge runner of note and now have to compromise their roster to make it work.

Tbf, sometimes failings in recruitment just arent down to the coach. They would have a big input, but I doubt Seibold controls the purse strings at Souths. IF they cant afford somebody there isnt much they can do.

But why would seiibold take 2 up and coming 2nd rowers from brisbane to souths I'if he was coming to brisbane. Maybe he didn't work too hard to strike a deal with sua.

I wonder how Corey Allen feels about WB coaching Souths.
He's probably a chance to play.

It will be interesting to see what happens with fullback given Wayne has had Darius at fullback since 2009 I think.

History suggests Wayne likes a ball playing fullback who is safe at the back (Lockyer, Khunt, Darius). I wouldn't say that Johnston is anywhere near being a ball playing fullback so it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

He's probably a chance to play.

It will be interesting to see what happens with fullback given Wayne has had Darius at fullback since 2009 I think.

History suggests Wayne likes a ball playing fullback who is safe at the back (Lockyer, Khunt, Darius). I wouldn't say that Johnston is anywhere near being a ball playing fullback so it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

nor is Corey Allen

Last edited:
I don't blame him losing Crichton, I blame him for not signing an adequate replacement.
Seibold tried to sign Su'A remember - he was suppose to be Crichton's replacement. Offered him big bucks too remember.

Inside story of how Broncos wooed Anthony Seibold
ANTHONY Seibold was identified as a possible successor to Broncos coach Wayne Bennett as early as June, after South Sydneyʼs red hot form proved his promise as an NRL coach.
Brisbane is expected to announce by early next week that Seibold will return to his home state in 2020 to take over the coaching reins at the Broncos.
And while the rugby league world was stunned on Thursday when news broke of his straight swap with Bennett, the 44-year-old former Brisbane reserve grade player has actually been on the clubʼs radar since Melbourne mentor Craig Bellamy knocked back the top job in June.
While Bellamyʼs loyalty to the Storm was a setback for the Broncos, it is understood the clubʼs powerbrokers were also keeping a close eye on Seiboldʼs early success with the Rabbitohs.
By mid-June, Souths were seven matches into a nine-game winning streak and were in the top four.
Anthony Seibold was on the radar as early as June.
Broncos CEO Paul White also had a strong relationship with Seibold, their having both grown up in Rockhampton.
Brisbane continued to monitor Seiboldʼs progression throughout the season as he took the Rabbitohs one game away from the NRL grand final.
Then, on October 8, White, Broncos chairman Karl Morris and board member Darren Lockyer travelled to Sydney to meet Seibold.
They walked away thoroughly impressed after a three-hour interview. They had found their man.
While Brisbane had its eye on Seibold from June, it was in July when it became truly evident to Bennett he would not be at the Broncos beyond 2019.
After the Bellamy saga and constant questions about his future at his weekly press conferences, the super coach said on July 26 – hours after Brisbaneʼs 12- 10 victory over the Sharks – that he had spoken to Morris and no decision would be made on his future until after the NRL season.
The Rabbitohs got their man too, in Wayne Bennett.
By this point it is understood he had been told the Broncos could not give him an answer on his future, and he already had a letter offering him another position at the club for 2020 – an offer he would publicly reject in August.
For Bennett, the writing was already on the wall, and rumours had started to intensify around Seiboldʼs future.
On September 25, the Broncos confirmed Bennett would not be coach beyond 2019.
The final straw came after Seiboldʼs Broncos interview when it became clear to Souths he might not accept the offer they had made to him.
The proud club was not going to be left empty-handed, so it chased Bennett.
Now it has its man too.

Source CM

Last edited:
Inside story of how Broncos wooed Anthony Seibold
ANTHONY Seibold was identified as a possible successor to Broncos coach Wayne Bennett as early as June, after South Sydneyʼs red hot form proved his promise as an NRL coach.
Brisbane is expected to announce by early next week that Seibold will return to his home state in 2020 to take over the coaching reins at the Broncos.
And while the rugby league world was stunned on Thursday when news broke of his straight swap with Bennett, the 44-year-old former Brisbane reserve grade player has actually been on the clubʼs radar since Melbourne mentor Craig Bellamy knocked back the top job in June.
While Bellamyʼs loyalty to the Storm was a setback for the Broncos, it is understood the clubʼs powerbrokers were also keeping a close eye on Seiboldʼs early success with the Rabbitohs.
By mid-June, Souths were seven matches into a nine-game winning streak and were in the top four.
Anthony Seibold was on the radar as early as June.
Broncos CEO Paul White also had a strong relationship with Seibold, their having both grown up in Rockhampton.
Brisbane continued to monitor Seiboldʼs progression throughout the season as he took the Rabbitohs one game away from the NRL grand final.
Then, on October 8, White, Broncos chairman Karl Morris and board member Darren Lockyer travelled to Sydney to meet Seibold.
They walked away thoroughly impressed after a three-hour interview. They had found their man.
While Brisbane had its eye on Seibold from June, it was in July when it became truly evident to Bennett he would not be at the Broncos beyond 2019.
After the Bellamy saga and constant questions about his future at his weekly press conferences, the super coach said on July 26 – hours after Brisbaneʼs 12- 10 victory over the Sharks – that he had spoken to Morris and no decision would be made on his future until after the NRL season.
The Rabbitohs got their man too, in Wayne Bennett.
By this point it is understood he had been told the Broncos could not give him an answer on his future, and he already had a letter offering him another position at the club for 2020 – an offer he would publicly reject in August.
For Bennett, the writing was already on the wall, and rumours had started to intensify around Seiboldʼs future.
On September 25, the Broncos confirmed Bennett would not be coach beyond 2019.
The final straw came after Seiboldʼs Broncos interview when it became clear to Souths he might not accept the offer they had made to him.
The proud club was not going to be left empty-handed, so it chased Bennett.
Now it has its man too.

Source CM

Wow.

Who was available? It was slim pickings. There were quite a few second rowers on the market, but very few quality options.

Rhyse Martin, Shaun Lane, Jamie Buhrer, Viliame Kikau, Joel Thompson, Boyd Cordner. That was really the best out of the list and how many of those were realistic chances of signing?
Shaun Lane at the time was unsigned

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.