What players are must keeps?

- Melbourne players typically serve an apprenticeship in reserve grade... where they play the same role as that of their intended role in the NRL
- Strong leadership group that holds players accountable
- Decades of playing the same style of play with set roles for the players i.e. if a player drops out the next man comes in and plays the same role
- Having effectively the same style of play over so many years means minor tweaks can be made to evolve the style without having to reinvent the wheel
- Cam Smith barely missing a game over 18 years of playing

The more interesting question is how did that evolve? We know what it looks like in 2020 but when Bellamy went there they'd just sacked two coaches and missed the finals twice in a row, he's a rookie and Smith has played two games. That's a mess and he fixed it.

Not dissimilar to Brisbane now.

Last edited:
The more interesting question is how did that evolve? We know what it looks like in 2020 but when Bellamy went there they'd just sacked two coaches and missed the finals twice in a row, he's a rookie and Smith has played two games. That's a mess and he fixed it.

Not dissimilar to Brisbane now.
Agreed... every dynasty starts from somewhere... that's why I was sure to mention decades of similar style and basically Cam Smith every game for 18 years. Bellamy created it from somewhere and the storm administration stayed strong to let him build it.

That is huge and it has assisted in creating a leadership group and playing group built on accountability.

There is so much stability in that storm system that players can move in and be taught what their role is in the side and go out and deliver it... players can come and go, but their style stays the same. The interesting part will come when Smith retires and if Bellamy will move on with him or if he will hang around for a couple years to set up their next generation.

It's why I think Bellamy would struggle if he moved to a different club... I don't know if he would have the drive to start it all over again.

I'm not even sure he has the drive to rebuild after Smith retires... Comparisons are made between Smith and Harry Grant, but he's no Cam Smith... there may never be another cam smith. So automatically the style of Melbourne will have to change when CS9 retires

Last edited:
Carrigan has opened the eyes of my dad, who is an old school rugby league man. He didn’t think much of him over the off season (after 2019), but he now salivates over the brand of footy he plays, the heart, and the 1%’ers. He really loves him now, and he doesn’t read any of the BHQ or media hype. We always talk before and after a Bronco game and we both gush over Patty. He’s more the future of this club than possibly even Haas in our eyes. We both are looking forward to watching him perfect his game and mature as a footballer. I believe he is sorely underrated because he doesn’t do the flashy stuff, but hey, somebody needs to do the other 78-79mins of the real work.

You're father is a worse judge of talent than Seibold.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.