What players are must keeps?

Jumping on the meltdown wave. Im curious what players form our current squad posters consider must-keeps?

For me , in no real order:
Haas
Fifita
Staggs
Coates
Dearden

Then I have the non-vital but should keeps:
Farnworth
Turpin
TPJ
Carrigan
I’d have to add niu as well as flegler and Croft even though these 2 are underperforming

I’d have to add niu as well as flegler and Croft even though these 2 are underperforming

Croft isn't underperforming, this is just what he is, certainly not someone we should be thinking about being in our team long term.

I don't see the hype in Carrigan. Bit of a work horse but none of our forwards run hard consistently. We always get the ball flat and seem to slow down for impact at the line.
The hype on Carrigan may be a bit over the top but he has been pretty consistent in taking hard runs when no one else is putting their hands up and he hits hard in defence.

You can’t punt every player, even in a massive rebuild, and a player like Carrigan who provides consistency, value for money and a willingness to do dirty work is worth hanging onto.

A solid “work horse” like Carrigan allows Haas, Fifita and TPJ do do the big moment plays.

Carrigan has opened the eyes of my dad, who is an old school rugby league man. He didn’t think much of him over the off season (after 2019), but he now salivates over the brand of footy he plays, the heart, and the 1%’ers. He really loves him now, and he doesn’t read any of the BHQ or media hype. We always talk before and after a Bronco game and we both gush over Patty. He’s more the future of this club than possibly even Haas in our eyes. We both are looking forward to watching him perfect his game and mature as a footballer. I believe he is sorely underrated because he doesn’t do the flashy stuff, but hey, somebody needs to do the other 78-79mins of the real work.
I’d take 17 John Plath’s over 17 Jarryd Hayne’s every day of the week.

Carrigan has opened the eyes of my dad, who is an old school rugby league man. He didn’t think much of him over the off season (after 2019), but he now salivates over the brand of footy he plays, the heart, and the 1%’ers. He really loves him now, and he doesn’t read any of the BHQ or media hype. We always talk before and after a Bronco game and we both gush over Patty. He’s more the future of this club than possibly even Haas in our eyes. We both are looking forward to watching him perfect his game and mature as a footballer. I believe he is sorely underrated because he doesn’t do the flashy stuff, but hey, somebody needs to do the other 78-79mins of the real work.

Like Farnworth, he always makes metres. Champion player already given his age and experience.

Like many have already said

Fifita
Haas
Farnworth
Carrigan
Dearden
Staggs
Coates
and

my boy Jake 'the Turpinator' Turpin

Obviously if Grant is available we get him, but I love Jakey. He's a competitor and makes things happen.

That list gives you at least a player in every position if you think of Herbie as a fullback. They are must-haves

Astute Broncos management should be offering Cam Smith an assistant coach role at the Broncos for 2022. Such an offer would likely help him to make a decision to play on with the Storm one more year, which would have the added bonus of freeing up Harry Grant for us to poach for 2021. The second option we could offer him would be a one year player contract (2021) with a 2-3 year assistant coach role ongoing. This would have enormous positive impact on our club and footy team. Smith gets to move his family home which he has always wanted to do, he gets the potential opportunity to play for the team he supported as a kid, and he secures his income beyond 2020. If and when he proves himself to be a brilliant coach, we have our ready made replacement for Seibold, who would also benefit from his presence on field and off for the remainder of his contract. I suspect Cam would have some pulling power in allowing us to go after someone like Munster to replace Milford in the halves. Given Bellamy's intention to give up Head Coaching at end of 2022, we should snap him up too as football manager or head of recruitment. Make them both an offer they can't refuse before the Bombers or some other shit show get the green light. No need for cloak and dagger negotiations behind the coach's back, just make it happen.

The problem is, why would he want to come to an absolute rabble of a club after spending his entire career at one of the (cheating) best?

Because it's not in Melbourne. And because it is where he wants to live. And because we could offer him an employment opportunity which ticks plenty of boxes for him and his family. His brief would be to un-rabble the joint. What a great challenge.

Because it's not in Melbourne. And because it is where he wants to live. And because we could offer him an employment opportunity which ticks plenty of boxes for him and his family. His brief would be to un-rabble the joint. What a great challenge.
The guy has spent his career getting great enjoyment from kicking us around like a play toy. I doubt he wants to join us for his last season or as a coach for that matter. We just have to be happy that we will always have 2006.

I guess we will never know unless we ask. There aren't too many rugby league jobs in South East Queensland and I suspect (but obviously don't know) that he would like to stay involved in the game. I just think we need to seek out the best people on and off field to solve our issues at the moment. The worst possible outcome would be he finds a coaching role at the second brisbane club and makes a post-playing career out of treating us as a play thing for the next 30 years. Let's get him on board.

I've been thinking about Smith as an assistant coach for years now too
If he wants to do it, the Broncos have to make an offer IMO.

Jumping on the meltdown wave. Im curious what players form our current squad posters consider must-keeps?

For me , in no real order:
Haas
Fifita
Staggs
Coates
Dearden

Then I have the non-vital but should keeps:
Farnworth
Turpin
TPJ
Carrigan
Agree with your choices except staggs.

...except Haas (Lazarus) and Staggs (Johns), that's worked well in the past. All other non-Queenslanders - get out! (And Boyd and Milf play like NSWelshmen, so they can get out too)
100% correct Qld players are needed to put a bit of pride and substance into this club otherwise we are just cheering a jersey.

Yes just enjoyed reading all the above , does highlight just what great young potential we do have and I'm in awe of it . However If only we sought a more experienced Coach and coaching staff that could just equally develop and graft that potential across the whole roster, considering the facilities we have at Red Hill. With that said someone explain to me, how do for example, Melbourne , ( aside from cheating) bring players in and have them match ready and performing well within what's expected from them in such a short amount of time . I suggest as many fans have, we need a change of direction, therefore fresh thinking and approach to perhaps player management .Because at the moment I believe and it's accurate in saying " You just can't polish a turd ".

Last edited:
Yes just enjoyed reading all the above , does highlight just what great young potential we do have and I'm in awe of it . However If only we sought a more experienced Coach and coaching staff that could just equally develop and graft that potential across the whole roster, considering the facilities we have at Red Hill. With that said someone explain to me, how do for example, Melbourne , ( aside from cheating) bring players in and have them match ready and performing well within what's expected from them in such a short amount of time . I suggest as many fans have, we need a change of direction, therefore fresh thinking and approach to perhaps player management .Because at the moment I believe and it's accurate in saying " You just can't polish a turd ".
- Melbourne players typically serve an apprenticeship in reserve grade... where they play the same role as that of their intended role in the NRL
- Strong leadership group that holds players accountable
- Decades of playing the same style of play with set roles for the players i.e. if a player drops out the next man comes in and plays the same role
- Having effectively the same style of play over so many years means minor tweaks can be made to evolve the style without having to reinvent the wheel
- Cam Smith barely missing a game over 18 years of playing

Last edited:
Do the Broncos have any similar strategy plan ?
- No Qcup
- No senior group and no culture since 2008
- Decades of bennettball and griffinball... so no
- No basic structure to build off
- No cam smith, but Darius seems to be incapable of getting injured

Active Now

• bazza
  • Broncorob
  • Cavalo
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Justwin
  • Broncosgirl
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • heartly87
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Skyblues87
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Aldo
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Midean
  • HarryAllan7
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.