What Role Should Adam Blair Play In The Team?

NRL Stats has 13 runs for 97 metres, which is probably a bit more than we'll get from him each week, but at least it looks like he took it on board. It'll be interesting to see how many receives he gets credited with when the stats update. I had to laugh though, one of the first time he goes to cart the ball up, the hooker dummied to him and passed it to someone else for the hitup.

His defensive numbers were down, just 21 tackles, but none missed. More importantly, he was belting them again, to the point where I was watching intently and they were deliberately avoiding him on their runs. That says enough to me about how much effort he's putting in, for now at least.

And best of all, Matt Scott whacks him in the face with his shoulder with both players at full speed. He goes down pretty hard, but immediately tries to free himself of the tackler around his legs and points his finger at Scott in what was pretty much a declaration of war.

Final stats have him at 15 runs for 130m and 21 carries. All in all I have to say it was a very impressive response. The tunnelball was hilarious and at that stage of the game I'm not going to knock him for trying something, but I do feel he needs to be a bit more judicious in his passing at the line. Still early days but if he can keep it up then he'll prove me well and truly wrong in being a strong buy.

To highlight a point that was made earlier, he only made about 3 hit ups in his first stint before coming up with 12 on his next.

A fair response from Teddy Blair but the real test will come when he has to take on the Warriors and being able to find that consistency.

I don't expect him to produce similar figures - I think circumstances contributed greatly to them but if he continues to produce the same effort I'll maintain my optimism.

I think circumstances contributed greatly to them but if he continues to produce the same effort I'll maintain my optimism.

Fo sure.....with McGuire off and gone for the game, he had to stand up and cover the void.

I don't expect him to be leading the hit-ups every week, if he makes double figures every game, that's a fair result.

I think Blair should aim for a bare minimum of 100 running metres combined with a few runs where he ballplays. That can be easily achieved with anywhere between 10-15 quality hitups. Combine that with his defensive efforts of about 25+ tackles and that would be a valuable contribution to the team week in week out.

One thing I'll say about Blair is I'd prefer him to just tuck it under his arm and run hard during the opening 10-15 minutes, and he can then slowly ball play as the match goes on. I wouldn't mind if in his second stint on the field he didn't have as many run metres as on his first stint, and instead predominantly ball played. The other night he didn't have many runs during his first stint, which is when I believe we need the go forward. He just needs to get the balance right.

Hooper did a column in yesterday's Sunday Tele about best and worst buys. Best included Bennett and Milford but worst included Adam Blair aside the likes of Watmough, Barba and Mateo.

His is only justification was "that" game. What's everyone's thoughts? I think he is now a vital cog in the team and Hooper mustn't watch a lot of rugby league.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...minate-best-buys/story-fnp0lyn3-1227438464963

Last edited:
I was one of his biggest critics early on and wanted him gone, especially after 'that' game but he has since gradually become better and better to the point his last three weeks have been top class. He has proven me very wrong the last month or so and I couldn't be happier.

That's pretty piss poor from them a one sentence reason. I have been impressed with him, I like his defence (always have), like his gritty work, and his AR and AM per match have been fairly solid. I felt he had his best game against the Dogs. He is not one of the worst buys of the season buy a long shot.

Hooper did a column in yesterday's Sunday Tele about best and worst buys. Best included Bennett and Milford but worst included Adam Blair aside the likes of Watmough, Barba and Mateo.

His is only justification was "that" game. What's everyone's thoughts? I think he is now a vital cog in the team and Hooper mustn't watch a lot of rugby league.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...minate-best-buys/story-fnp0lyn3-1227438464963

I agree, Hooper is a twit.

He's been improving every week.

His D is really good.

His ball playing is good.

Last two games weeks (metres) 129 (dogs), 156 (knights)....

Put it this way, after the Kennedy debacle Blair is a nice upgrade.

In fact the Roosters taking Martin Ploddedy back deserves worst buy of the year even when we're paying him.

That sums the season up doesn't it?

Brisbane traded out...

Kennedy for Blair

Barba for Milford

Hoffman for Boyd

Even in cases where the trade off may not seem so even, the Broncos aren't fairing that poorly. Both Parcell & Nikorima have done really well to make up for the loss of Granville and maybe I'm alone but Mitchell Dodds adds plenty of starch coming off the bench.

Really liking the form from Blair as of late. He's really stepped up his work-rate on top of all the little things you don't pick up with the naked eye.

Blair has been steadily improving this season, probably due to Bennett reworking his role in the team.

He provides mongrel defence when we need it most, he provides thrust in attack and ballplays a bit too, which is more than likely a Bennett request.

He also seems to have reduced the amount of penalties he concedes per match.

All in all, i'm pretty happy for him to keep on doing what he's been doing for the rest of the season.

So this is how knowledgable Hooper is about NRL.
Someone on Twitter asked why Granville wasn't in his best buys list.
He replied that he thought Granville came out of Cowboys reserves.

So this is how knowledgable Hooper is about NRL.
Someone on Twitter asked why Granville wasn't in his best buys list.
He replied that he thought Granville came out of Cowboys reserves.
Yeah it was me that told him he was from the Broncos and his reply was Doh

That sums the season up doesn't it?

Brisbane traded out...

Kennedy for Blair

Barba for Milford

Hoffman for Boyd

Even in cases where the trade off may not seem so even, the Broncos aren't fairing that poorly. Both Parcell & Nikorima have done really well to make up for the loss of Granville and maybe I'm alone but Mitchell Dodds adds plenty of starch coming off the bench.

Really liking the form from Blair as of late. He's really stepped up his work-rate on top of all the little things you don't pick up with the naked eye.
i am with you Pete. Big fan of Dodds and was worried his time had come and gone when he was reported as a serious knee injury this year. Luckily it was better than expected and I am really looking forward to his progression under WB.
As for Blair I am happy with the way he is playing
I also consider Parcell a much better hooker than Granville and would not be unhappy if we lost Macca although it would be nice to keep both

If Parcell is better than Granville then he is only marginally better. I don't agree though. Parcell is good no doubt and his chances have been limited so he hasn't had the chance to show how good he is but so far , Granville has been outstanding for the cows and is receiving praise from his coach, NQ media and supporters alike. He is a very big part of the cows success this season. Parcell may very well go on to great things but saying he is much better , in my opinion is incorrect. Naturally I think you are entitled to your view.

As a big Blair critic at the start of the year, I must say he has been improving with time and has been very good of late. He is buying whatever WB is selling, and like all other players, is taking his game to the next level.

Credit where credit is due. I didn't think the change in coach would make that big a difference, but it did, more than the changes to the roster imo.
Benny and in some measure Kevvie, have made all the difference imo, even Kearney benefitted from it, going from the scapegoat to a great defensive coach in one season. But you only have to look at the improvement in Thaiday, Glenn, Macca. How Gillett has gone from a defensive worry to a inexpugnable rock, or Maranta from a total nuffie to a very solid winger.

It does make me wonder... how would Kennedy or Barba have played under Wayne? How would Blair have gone under Hook, etc...?

On that last point, we already got a sneak preview when we saw how they went under Robinson, Hasler and Bellamy (in Blair's case) respectively. Maybe they go onto have better years, but would they be better than what we've got?

Would they really suit the game plan?

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Jedhead
  • Fitzy
  • Fatboy
  • Lozza
  • Behind enemy lines
  • theshed
  • Culhwch
  • Bucking Beads
  • Aldo
  • Organix
  • kiwi2
  • IceWorks
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Ejbroncos
  • Foordy
  • broncsgoat
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Viti
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.