What was the first game you attended?

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
Round 5 2005

I was at that game Tanswell87

42-0 at half-time, a week after the Broncos worst ever defeat at the hands of Melbourne.

Riddell went for a field goal in the second half and Minto scored a try off of a Brad Thorn kick.

THORN BOMB!

Most underrated attacking option ever

My first game was Manly at Suncorp in 2011. I think that was the first double-header that had the Tits v Dogs too. Living out of town (3hrs) stopped me getting to 99% of games being on Friday night.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
THORN BOMB!

Most underrated attacking option ever

My first game was Manly at Suncorp in 2011. I think that was the first double-header that had the Tits v Dogs too. Living out of town (3hrs) stopped me getting to 99% of games being on Friday night.

Ohh...

That would have been a disaster.

B

Brent81

Made Legal Threat to BHQ
Oct 31, 2012
Brent81's post in the FoxSports Club Day thread got me thinking and I'd be interested to know about everyone's first experience going to a Broncos game.

Apparently my first experience was actually going to a Western Reds game in 96 but I have zero recollection of going. So I'm going to have to say that the 2002 Qualifying Final vs Parramatta. I was twelve years old and this was one of those last minute decisions my folks came up with. I'd love to watch a replay of the game, but my memory is foggy at best. The little I remember is that the Broncos got off to a slow start and Parra opened with an 8-10 point lead. Brisbane eventually fought back with Langer scoring his 100th try to seal the game. It was something of a dream night to be a Broncos fan. A club legend achieved a milestone, we beat the Eels who were our biggest rivals at the time and the Knights got beaten and were virtually out of the running with Joey suffering a horrific injury. As a selfish 12 year old, I was on cloud nine, only for it to all come crashing down two weeks later.

Meanwhile, the first game I went to at Suncorp was the Round 22 03 Clash against Penrith. We basically had an entire row to ourselves, with the folks inviting a bunch of rellos along to get their first taste of Suncorp. Unfortunately, the game itself was really nothing to write home about with Penrith in firm control from start to finish, grinding out a 13-6 win. Usually I couldn't stand to watch the Broncos lose, but on this occasion I knew what I was getting myself into and I was somewhat OK with it since I enjoyed watching Penrith. They had a killer side that year and it was fun watching Rhys Lightening and Presto rip teams apart.

How about you guys?

For completeness Big Pete, I meant that game was the first I had attended at the new stadium. I may have expressed myself poorly.

My first Broncos game was round 3, 1993 - the first game at ANZ. We won in reggies (a bloke called Butch Fatnowna was on the wing, always thought that was a top name). We lost 8 - 12 to Parramatta in first grade.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
The first game I can remember was at ANZ so probably 93 or 94. Can't remember who we played though.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
For completeness Big Pete, I meant that game was the first I had attended at the new stadium. I may have expressed myself poorly.

Oh I knew what you meant, which is why I also brought up my first game at Suncorp etc.

Anyone been to any away games?

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
SOO, no idea when, gave me a lasting memory of how amazing a crowd can be. Will never forget giving it to some idiot who kept waving a Blues flag and obstructing everyone's view. It was one of those years before the last decade where Qld had a big win. He left at about 60 minutes and got a massive serve as he left. Brilliant!!

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
I went to the infamous Andrew Gee tap penalty farce game at the SFS on a Monday Night in '96.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Oh I knew what you meant, which is why I also brought up my first game at Suncorp etc.

Anyone been to any away games?

My first ever away game was the '97 Major Qualifier between Manly and Knights. I went there with my uncle who is a massive Manly fan.

I try to go to as many away games as I can. I've been to quite a few Broncos away games over the last decade.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Broncos v NZ 13 at Lang Park in 88. Last trial before the Manly game in Round 1 a week later.

1. Scott
2. Walters
3. Johns
4. Miles
5. Hancock
6. Grauf
7. Langer
8. Matterson
9. Le Man
10. K.Gee
11. Tessman
12. Walters
13. Dowling c

27. Noke
28. Hohn
29. Kilroy
30. Lewis
34. Teevan

It was pretty close to the round 1 team minus Turtle who was in St.George playing a Central Queensland Team with the remainder of the squad and Neibling.

Wally's first game, he didn't play against the Raiders the week before.

Broncos won 38-6.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I think I saw that game on youtube once 1910. Found it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Grimmiq

Grimmiq

NYC Player
Apr 3, 2013
Wasn't a big NRL fan as a kid, I know I was taken to several Broncos games as my parents are huge fans. First game I went to after I started to actually enjoy and understand the game was Sailor's last game for us. Still remember the girl sitting in front of me screaming that she loves Lote every 2 mins.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Round 1, 2006. A 30 point drubbing by the Cows.

lived in Mackay until then so I never got a chance to go, and I don't really care for trials.

Was so gee'd up that day only for Thurston and Bowen to carve us up time and time again.

Still, it got much better as the season progressed... :)

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Wally came on at half time and they keep stuffing up the Walters; they have Steve and Kevin playing not Brett and Kerrod.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Was there 2 Walters playing that night or was that a misprint?

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Foordy
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Alec
  • Mr Fourex
  • Santa
  • Rambstien
  • broncsgoat
  • Scorchie
  • sooticus
  • broncos4life
  • broncs30
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Skathen
  • Tim K
  • Stix
  • mystico
  • lynx000
  • Rough and Ready
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.