What was the first game you attended?

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
[MENTION=8300]FaithinHook[/MENTION] delivers again. Brilliant.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
I went to the infamous Andrew Gee tap penalty farce game at the SFS on a Monday Night in '96.

If you do the restart incorrectly it has to be a penalty doesn't it? Maybe the rules about the 20 restart was different back then.

B

Brent81

Made Legal Threat to BHQ
Oct 31, 2012
Oh I knew what you meant, which is why I also brought up my first game at Suncorp etc.

Anyone been to any away games?

Melbourne in 2009, four words, cold, we got smashed.....

Was in Melbourne for my honeymoon....got to a SOO 1 and the Broncos/Storm game in whilst there....

Pretty sure I went to a game in Sydney in October last year but I am trying to block that one out....

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Was at Broncs v Storm in our epic win this year, Storm v Cows prelim this year. I really thought we'd get over them a week later, the Cows were really not that impressive that night.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
I was going to say game 1 1988 but 1910 jogged my memory I was at that trial as well.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Will never forget my first Broncs game - June 4, 2000 on a Sunday afternoon at Marathon Stadium against the Knights in Round 18. Even remember where we parked!

Had been absolutely dying to go to a Broncos game, so you can just imagine how excited I was. Went with dad, we got fish and chips for lunch on the way, parked the car, then sat on the hill where the eastern grandstand is now.

It was a tight affair, but we lost in the end 26-22. It was during the Origin period, so I didn't get to see too many of the big names, but I had an absolute blast.

First game at Suncorp was Round 17, July 6, 2007 - that magnificent 19-18 win over the Titans. 78th minute try to Dave Taylor next to the posts to tie up the game at 18-18. Off to golden point we go, and Locky smashes the field goal from 40 metres out, hits both posts before dropping over the crossbar.

Couldn't ask for a better way to witness my first match at the best rugby league ground in the world.

austin71

austin71

NRL Player
Apr 21, 2013
Best game I've seen live was Lockys last game. Was also at the Melbourne game when Inglis scored in the last minute. That hurt! Freakin Sims

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Best game I've seen live was Lockys last game. Was also at the Melbourne game when Inglis scored in the last minute. That hurt! Freakin Sims 

I was at that game, too... I was just about to get up and start walking out celebrating a rare win...

You know what? I'm making a new rule. No one is allowed to talk about that game.

I don't care if it's your first game. Lie and come up with another one.

austin71

austin71

NRL Player
Apr 21, 2013
I was at that game, too... I was just about to get up and start walking out celebrating a rare win...

You know what? I'm making a new rule. No one is allowed to talk about that game.

Haha Agreed

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012

That's always been the rule, but it keeps getting brought up lol

re my first game, that was Te'o's broken arm game I'm pretty sure. Thankfully the next few travel games were when we put 40+ on the Knights and Roosters in successive weeks. Both Sundays iirc

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
First game at Suncorp was Round 17, July 6, 2007 - that magnificent 19-18 win over the Titans. 78th minute try to Dave Taylor next to the posts to tie up the game at 18-18. Off to golden point we go, and Locky smashes the field goal from 40 metres out, hits both posts before dropping over the crossbar.

Good game, better result.

It seemed as if the Broncos would always lose the close ones at home so I was feeling pretty nervous with 20 to go. When Prince stepped through my heart sank and I was beginning to have severe doubts. But then with minutes remaining, Taylor injuries Prince, scores a try and the Broncos were running riot.

The Lockyer field goal maybe one of my favourite memories at the stadium.

All we saw from our vantage point was the ball hit the sticks and come out, we had no idea it went over until the XXXX zone went ballistic and the fire-works confirmed it was a goal.

Speaking of, can we all agree that this is the best post-points song?

I wish the Suncorp DJ would mix it up a bit. It's like the only songs they've licensed are from the Fratellis and Sia.

I'd even settle for Good Charlotte, Ashlee Simpson and Robbie Williams.

Last edited by a moderator:

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Brent81's post in the FoxSports Club Day thread got me thinking and I'd be interested to know about everyone's first experience going to a Broncos game.

Apparently my first experience was actually going to a Western Reds game in 96 but I have zero recollection of going. So I'm going to have to say that the 2002 Qualifying Final vs Parramatta. I was twelve years old and this was one of those last minute decisions my folks came up with. I'd love to watch a replay of the game, but my memory is foggy at best. The little I remember is that the Broncos got off to a slow start and Parra opened with an 8-10 point lead. Brisbane eventually fought back with Langer scoring his 100th try to seal the game. It was something of a dream night to be a Broncos fan. A club legend achieved a milestone, we beat the Eels who were our biggest rivals at the time and the Knights got beaten and were virtually out of the running with Joey suffering a horrific injury. As a selfish 12 year old, I was on cloud nine, only for it to all come crashing down two weeks later.

Meanwhile, the first game I went to at Suncorp was the Round 22 03 Clash against Penrith. We basically had an entire row to ourselves, with the folks inviting a bunch of rellos along to get their first taste of Suncorp. Unfortunately, the game itself was really nothing to write home about with Penrith in firm control from start to finish, grinding out a 13-6 win. Usually I couldn't stand to watch the Broncos lose, but on this occasion I knew what I was getting myself into and I was somewhat OK with it since I enjoyed watching Penrith. They had a killer side that year and it was fun watching Rhys Lightening and Presto rip teams apart.

How about you guys?

I'll do my best.

1. Lockyer
2. Tuqiri
3. Tate
4. De Vere
5. Walker
9. Berrigan
7, Langer
13. Carlaw
11. Tallis
14. Parker
8. Webcke
18. Walker
10. Civoniveva

12. Meyers
16. Lee
15. Gee
17. Kelly

Brisbane with all the running, after 8 minutes tackled in opposition 20- 8 times to 0. Broncos just sloppy, Alf probing and making holes just not able to end it.

0-0 after 16.

Penalty Burt; Eels 2-0 after 31 minutes.

Then from the kick off; Solomona takes a hit up and gets a one hand (right) to McFadden who finds Burt to score under the posts.

Eels 8-0 after 32.

Broncos straight back; Walker goes left- Alf turns Berrigan under running back against the defence and scores to the right of the posts.

Eels 8-6 after 37

Broncos had 52% of the ball, made more line breaks, less tackles, less mistackles, more errors at half time.

46 in; Broncos tackled right of the posts, Alf drifts to the left, finds Meyers with a great little ball into the gap- Meyers back to Alf who doubled around and Alf finds Lote to cuts back in to score.

De Vere successful and Broncos12-8 after 48.

Broncos tackled in oppoistion 20- 23-12

As Widders runs 30m to score; Eels shifted his right and Lote was too far in field came in on Ian Hindmarsh. Widders finds space and runs the 30m to score. Great support play they just kept spreading and drawing defenders.

Eels 14-12 after 53

Still 14-12 Eels after 66

Tallis under the posts; Broncos 18-14 with 9 minutes to go. Broncos' penalty after Alf tackled without the ball; Walker to Tallis.

Petero pulled down short, Alf gets over for try 100 and De Vere two points.

Broncos 24-14

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Really appreciate that 1910.

Cheers.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
Oh I knew what you meant, which is why I also brought up my first game at Suncorp etc.

Anyone been to any away games?
I had a mostly failed effort for my first at North Sydney oval 97 or 98 for a broncos win. only saw the last 10 mins, then the first full game was in the gong. can't remember if it was the Steelers or the Dragons. We lost. Wishart ran around sailor to win the game from memory.

Last edited:
mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
First Broncos game I seen at suncorp was against the warriors like 4 years ago when it was pissing down just after origin. We won like 10-8 and I missed our only try which was scored in the first 5 minutes as I was too busy buying my jersey. Was an absolute pisser of a game and it poured the only game but I was still excited when Alex Glenn batted the ball over the dead ball line in the last 5 seconds. We lost our next 6 games after that.

Active Now

• BroncoFan94
  • Morkel
  • broncsgoat
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • LittleDavey
  • bb_gun
  • scobie
  • theshed
  • Galah
  • Foordy
  • jarro65
  • Brocko
  • kman
  • Jeza23
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.