What would you have done?

• Thread starter bob the Smasher
  • Start date
Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's the next Meninga, but I think the opportunity to sign him was too good an opportunity to pass up. I don't think we'll regret it.

Unless he blows his knee out in preseason training and we've lost 9 players for a bloke to enjoy our medical insurance!

Exactly. Unless he's actually on $1.4m per year, or more, there are underlying reasons why we've lost so many players. Most of which have plenty to do with offers of over $100k more elsewhere.

mick! said:
Exactly. Unless he's actually on $1.4m per year, or more, there are underlying reasons why we've lost so many players. Most of which have plenty to do with offers of over $100k more elsewhere.

That and the fact Bruno would have some nuffies or players surplus to our requirments on 100k more than what they should be...

mick! said:

There's still persistent rumours coming out of the club that Folau is on considerably more than what Bruno is saying publicly. But again, rumours.

Other contributor to the cap drain is the upgrades given in recent seasons for the likes of Hodges and Hunt. But you'd think with losing Webcke, Thorn, Berrigan, Carlaw, McGuire, Civoniceva and now Carroll, Hannant and Ennis that there'd be enough money around...it's just weird.

It does almost look like they're trying to keep some dollars free to make a big signing we haven't heard about yet.
How long did Wendell sign with St George for? eusa_think [icon_lol1.

Or maybe Inglis?
Cam Smith?
Tuqiri? (I of course mean Elia, not that useless waste of space Lote that hasn't achieved anything in his life) :P

i would have signed wallace, sims and marsh. clinton i have never been a fan of. yes i would definetely want folau but i also think that steve michaels is an excellent prospect along with darius boyd. hannant im not too dissapointed about going to think of it as way have a bloke called david taylor. ennis is the one that is going to bit us badly when we arent going foward.

mick! said:
Yeah something is amiss at the club imo too. eusa_think The board taking too much control is my initial guess, but who knows?

There's another, much more sinister possibility that I have seen mentioned before. And I want to say that I IN NO WAY think this is anything close to the truth or reality. BUT...

Think back to 2002.
What happened to a team there that was flying high, a certainty to win the comp...

Now picture for a moment that someone internal to the club uncovered the situation and brought it to the attention of the CEO. CEO then, on the quiet, went to the NRL and said "hey, these shenanigans are going on. I'm putting an end to it right now, but can we keep it quiet".

NRL, realising the high profile of this particular organisation and its importance to the game, decides to leave it on the quiet.

Said club then unloads players to remedy the situation, in the process recruiting some reasonably big names, and letting media speculate that they came for the money but in reality getting them below asking price. Thus providing an excuse for releasing players and not offering contracts.

Maybe?

But maybe it's more to do with changes to the salary cap rules and particular with regards endorsements that suddenly means players like Darren Lockyer count a whole heap more on the cap than they did 2 years ago? Afterall his overall earning is rated at $700K per annum. That's not all on the cap, but maybe more of it is now?

Just interesting to know why the Broncos are in such salary cap trouble, if they are.

I think it's a massive reach to even contemplate the possibility of the Broncos being involved in anything like the Dogs scandal.

I'm sure it's more to do with the cycical nature of player movements finally catching up to the Broncos, who for so long have been able to hang on to players for less than what they'd receive on the open market

Coxy, i don't believe that the Broncos would rort that cap as you insinuated in you last post. I believe they have too much integrity to even think about being involved in something like lat.

I think it has more to do with the production line of Origin and international players that come out of the club and that they have been staying on less than they could get elsewhere

Bruno Cullen has never struck me as a man with integrity to be honest.

Roger Corbett for a start. Even though he has now retired...

I don't for a second think the Broncos are doing anything like the Bulldogs. I'm just saying, the exodus can make people wonder.

I think all these talk will be forgotten next year when Taylor is making jis origin debut, Marsh and McCullough are shredding and Izzy is the comps leading try scorer!!

Bruno has to leave room to offer Wallace a serious upgrade. From memory hes on about $150k now so what will his worth be at the end of 2009? Hardly a lot of class halves running around so we will have to compete with big offers of 300k plus and no hometown card to play with him.

Taylor I think is also off contract at the end of 09 and if lives up to his potential what will he be worth?

Add Cam into the equation and there's some serious dollars right there.

Dexter said:
Bruno has to leave room to offer Wallace a serious upgrade. From memory hes on about $150k now so what will his worth be at the end of 2009? Hardly a lot of class halves running around so we will have to compete with big offers of 300k plus and no hometown card to play with him.

Taylor I think is also off contract at the end of 09 and if lives up to his potential what will he be worth?

Add Cam into the equation and there's some serious dollars right there.

Wallace in on 180k and the Broncos are apparently going to open negotiations for a contract upgrade and extention after the origin series

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Santa
  • Alec
  • sooticus
  • MrMoore
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • johnyE
  • Morkel
  • broncoscope
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.