What's the biggest "we dodged a bullet" in Broncos history?

This makes me wonder about life after Bennett (sigh).

I think we're forgetting a common denominator here.

Who played a role in Bennett's departure, Henjak's appointment and ultimately his sacking?

Cullen.

White's first job was to deliver the verdict of Cullen's report and find an interim coach. Since then, he's made a number of positive steps to restore the Broncos place in the competition.

I think we'll be in a better position this time, we won't have to resort to hiring an assistant after we fucked off our preferred candidates(jesus do you remember the Bellamy incident?), or a QRL coach with no experience at top level.

I think we'll be in a better position this time, we won't have to resort to hiring an assistant after we fucked off our preferred candidates(jesus do you remember the Bellamy incident?), or a QRL coach with no experience at top level.

What was the Bellamy incident?

Memory is a little hazy but basically, when WB let it known that he would leave Brisbane at the end of 2008, we naturally said righto we want Bellamy, he's the natural successor, and he's got family in bris that he's openly said he'd like to reunite with, so we're thinking ok we've got a pretty decent shot here, we're interested, he's interested, what could go wrong?

Our own arrogance, perhaps? Cullen left him sitting in a room for an hour or two while we ponsed around because we assumed signing was in the bag - Cullen eventually comes in and Bellamy says thanks but no thanks, given how we treated him.

Memory is a little hazy but basically, when WB let it known that he would leave Brisbane at the end of 2008, we naturally said righto we want Bellamy, he's the natural successor, and he's got family in bris that he's openly said he'd like to reunite with, so we're thinking ok we've got a pretty decent shot here, we're interested, he's interested, what could go wrong?

Our own arrogance, perhaps? Cullen left him sitting in a room for an hour or two while we ponsed around because we assumed signing was in the bag - Cullen eventually comes in and Bellamy says thanks but no thanks, given how we treated him.
Not big on Bellemy but can't blame him, that's just rude. Had no idea that happened.

Not big on Bellemy but can't blame him, that's just rude. Had no idea that happened.
Brisbane have a history of having their own head up their ass and costing them signings - the GI fiasco was the same, everyone interested was rowing their boats out to meet him in the middle, Brisbane were just like yeah nah he wants to play for us and he's got family here, contracts ready whenever he is.

nek minute, signs for Souths after Rusty promises him the world.

Edit: there was some talk that Hodges and co got in his ear and told him not to sign because of Henjak, but I very much doubt players are going to deter other quality players from joining a side and making them a better all round unit.

Sounds a bit precious from Bellamy but to be fair he did have other things on his mind. Like how to mastermind the biggest salary cap rort in RL history.

Brisbane have a history of having their own head up their ass and costing them signings - the GI fiasco was the same, everyone interested was rowing their boats out to meet him in the middle, Brisbane were just like yeah nah he wants to play for us and he's got family here, contracts ready whenever he is.

nek minute, signs for Souths after Rusty promises him the world.

Edit: there was some talk that Hodges and co got in his ear and told him not to sign because of Henjak, but I very much doubt players are going to deter other quality players from joining a side and making them a better all round unit.

GI had apparently agreed to the deal ... but then it had to bloody rain before he could sign the contract...

Sounds a bit precious from Bellamy but to be fair he did have other things on his mind. Like how to mastermind the biggest salary cap rort in RL history.
perhaps a little bit, but bellamy in his own right, even then, was an outstanding coach - he wasn't some guy that we randomly pulled out of the phonebook and as such was honoured to even have the opportunity.

it was pure arrogance, we fucked up because we thought we were irresistable. it's just really bad business acumen

GI had apparently agreed to the deal ... but then it had to bloody rain before he could sign the contract...

yeah, he agreed while he/his manager looked for clubs that desperately wanted him. i remember at the time, even on this board, criticizing how ho hum our clubs approach was, compared to sydney clubs falling over themselves to sign him.

At least we're not known for being the wrestling club that ruined the game.
We were one of the first to hire wrestling coaches though, where do you think Bellamy got the idea from? :)
Chris Hasemann from memory.

We were one of the first to hire wrestling coaches though, where do you think Bellamy got the idea from? :)
Chris Hasemann from memory.

Bellamy got the idea from Bellamy - it was his idea when he was assistant coach here IIRC.

Bellamy got the idea from Bellamy - it was his idea when he was assistant coach here IIRC.
i read about this, wasn't sure whether to believe it because i don't know whether assistants can just go off and hire people without running it past WB.

so he was either complicit in it, or even if he wasn't, brisbane were still one of the first to lead us down the wrestling path, which is kinda the opposite of what horseheadsup said (not having a go either btw, maybe you didn't know?).

Bruno Cullen was THE worst era of the Broncos. How he got the job and subsequently kept it, I have no idea. He was useless and I cried tears of joy the day I found it he was out the door.

I think we're forgetting a common denominator here.

Who played a role in Bennett's departure, Henjak's appointment and ultimately his sacking?

Cullen.

White's first job was to deliver the verdict of Cullen's report and find an interim coach. Since then, he's made a number of positive steps to restore the Broncos place in the competition.

The only thing White had to do to restore our place in the comp was bring Bennett back in. Thank **** he didn't **** that up

The only thing White had to do to restore our place in the comp was bring Bennett back in. Thank **** he didn't **** that up

Yeah but after the Cullen-Henjak years, we all had a right to be sceptical about White at first. As it turns out, he seems to have done a fantastic job.

Active Now

• Redux
  • porouian
  • Gaz
  • broncos4life
  • Howie
  • Johnny92
  • broncsgoat
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncoscope
  • BroncosMan
  • YeahNahMate
  • Redfern_1980
  • Hurrijo
  • winslow_wong
  • MrTickyMcG
  • BroncosAlways
  • Dash
  • Financeguy
  • bert_lifts
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.