PLAYER Payne Haas

A good 9 to take advantage of Haas/Carrigan close to the line would do wonders for our attack.

All the good teams do it but we've never used it because our 9s have sucked for about 20 years now.
Boggles my mind why this never happens. Turpin was the worst offender at turning the ball back to Payne and then taking a breather. Ezra started out following Payne in his early games but didn't continue. Maybe it's how they're coached. If so, who's the coach behind it? Sack him.

The only player who ever backs up Payne is Patty.

Mind you, come to think of it, he didn't offer anything more for NSW. I never once felt he was a threat in Origin.

Boggles my mind why this never happens. Turpin was the worst offender at turning the ball back to Payne and then taking a breather. Ezra started out doing it in his early games but didn't continue. Maybe it's how they're coached. If so, who's the coach behind it? Sack him.

The only player who ever backs up Payne is Patty.

Mind you, come to think of it, he didn't offer anything more for NSW. I never once felt he was a threat in Origin.
Because Payne stopped looking for it when he realized his metres made stat doesn't grow if he offloads the ball.

Haas needs an offload and to find his front quicker most of the time. Unless those extra metres are made within our own half, they are selfish stat padders that hinder the team. Until he can get these things right he's worth 500k at most.

absolutely agree with the offload,

i'm not sure he could find his front quicker though as he is usually held up by 3 or 4 defenders (which is why the offload would come in handy, because of the gaps that leaves) ... unless he literally does a voluntary tackle every time and hit the deck before the defenders touch him (although if he does that we'll see the first voluntary tackle penalties given in a decade)

absolutely agree with the offload,

i'm not sure he could find his front quicker though as he is usually held up by 3 or 4 defenders (which is why the offload would come in handy, because of the gaps that leaves) ... unless he literally does a voluntary tackle every time and hit the deck before the defenders touch him (although if he does that we'll see the first voluntary tackle penalties given in a decade)
They don’t all make contact at the same time. He’s not being held upright either. He’s trying to make those extra metres. Thaiday used to hit the deck quickly to get the quick play the ball too

He needs to be made to watch footage of JT13 in their last final. All off-season. In attack and defence. That's what we need out of Payne and that's what a bloke on the money he's chasing offers. Simple as that. A bloke at work who's not even a Broncos fan reckons (rightly) we have to find his angry switch because he's a big teddy bear on the field. From the off-field incidents, he clearly has it in him - so why is he so passive on the field? He needs to find his aggression, otherwise he will never reach his potential.

Because Payne stopped looking for it when he realized his metres made stat doesn't grow if he offloads the ball.

He stopped offloading during the Origin period but after the Origin period he only went two games without offloading the ball and made 5 less offloads than what he did before the Origin period. Out of the 20 games he played he didn't make any offloads in 7 of them.

It's looking less and less likely that Haas is going to be leaving.

If he stays, Patty should be partnering him in the front row. It seems like Kevvie wants a ball-playing front rower, and I don't think that role suits Haas all that well. He needs to focus more on just hitting the ball up the guts.

I think this is good news overall for us... although I'm not all that happy with how much he's actually getting paid... but I think we would be short on real quality middles if Haas moved on.

With Haas and Patty we have two top tier rep middles... a lot of the other guys are all still developing in Flegs, Kobe, Willison, etc. and Jensen being steady. If we ended up losing Haas we would be relying on kids to fill the role next year and hoping they develop into NRL regulars.

It will be interesting to see what we decide to do with Flegs given he's off contract at the end of 2023. With Haas committing we don't necessarily need to go all in on retaining him and having to pay for potential again.

It could've ended up being a Milf situation all over again with Flegs... where we became desperate to retain Milf because we had just lost Bhunt to a mega deal. This time around we can look to call Flegs bluff given his manager is out there spruiking massive incoming deals across the NRL.

If he gets a mega deal we don't necessarily need to match it, as we have other prospects coming through, so if Flegs wants to stay at Red Hill he might end up having to accept less.

Mixed feelings, Payne Haas was our avenue to a big name marquee signing in the hooking role.

Not sure exactly what players would have been available but he was our quick way to get one.

Mixed feelings, Payne Haas was our avenue to a big name marquee signing in the hooking role.

Not sure exactly what players would have been available but he was our quick way to get one.
Maybe they tried for something like this but there was nothing available, who knows.

Seeing as he has a valid contract it isn't a surprise. lol

And probably no other club wanted to pay him 1 million+ a year.

This is my bet as well. He cast the 1 million a year line out and got zero bites (surprise surprise). Even the Sombreros were like "Pffff **** off".

I've got mixed feelings as well. On one hand I'm still fucking pissed at him, and would've been happy to see him off and use his cap to get a top quality hooker. On the other he's clearly a super talent, and with the right coaching (and attitude), he can be the next Taumalolo.

We can only hope he could the reaction from the supporters very personally and it proved a reality check.

he really wasn't ... because there needs to be a "big name marquee" hooker available to sign ... and there are very few of these in the comp, let alone available to sign.

ideally what we need to do is keep him on his current price and get him an offload like Patty has. then have the likes of Mam, Walsh and our hooker (whoever wins that position in 2023) follow him up the middle ready to receive the offload.

it usually takes 3 or 4 players to bring him down as it is ... if he can develop that offload, then that leaves plenty of space for our speedsters to take advantage of (as long as they are in position and alert to do so)

he really wasn't ... because there needs to be a "big name marquee" hooker available to sign ... and there are very few of these in the comp, let alone available to sign.

Idea's what we need to do is keep him on his current price and get him an offload like Patty has. then have the likes of Mam, Walsh and our hooker (whoever wins that position in 2023) follow him up the middle ready to receive the offload.

it usually takes 3 or 4 players to bring him down as it is ... if he can develop that offload, then that leaves plenty of space for our speedsters to take advantage of (as long as they are in position and alert to do so)

Mate, I have been reading the Billy Walters thread and there are dozens of them, apparently.

Active Now

• MrMoore
  • Griffo
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Fitzy
  • Battler
  • Fozz
  • Lurker
  • Mr Fourex
  • Tim K
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bucking Beads
  • Manifesto
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • Galah
  • thenry
  • GCBRONCO
  • Big Del
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.