Where is our salary cap going?

There is no rational explanation for it, other than it being a massive brain fart.
It's not like Munster inspires that much fear of tackling him, or requires that much effort... it's got to be a Kahuesque brain snap.

The only thing I can think of, is that he didn't think Munster had the ball, and wanted to avoid the collision.
Was probably worried tackling would mess up his fresh manicure.

Would it be worth approaching the Raiders about Sam Williams? We could do far worse. If we haven't given Dargan/Murphy a game by now I don't think they are getting one.

I've always liked Williams...i haven't watched him too closely, but he always seems to do a job and isn't a complete turnstile in defence.

I stated a while ago we should be looking at Elgey. He is hardly a superstar and is a terrible defender but that can he taught if his attitude is right. From what I have seen, he is a far better halfback than Nikorima.

Elgey is getting 500 at the titans. Way to much loot for a bloke as ordinary as him.

I stated a while ago we should be looking at Elgey. He is hardly a superstar and is a terrible defender but that can he taught if his attitude is right. From what I have seen, he is a far better halfback than Nikorima.

Most halves are bad , but he can play.

Elgey is getting 500 at the titans. Way to much loot for a bloke as ordinary as him.
I remember a few years ago when he first came onto the scene, he looked very promising. Obviously 500k is way too much for the way he has turned out but if I were making the decision, depending on how messed up the salary cap is with the contracts Bird and Boyd have, I'd be in favor of offering him something like 175 to 250k max, depending on what he can get elsewhere, a year for 2 years. Bird is on a reported 875k to 1mil a year. In that context, 250k a year for 2 years would be well worth the gamble. But I fear with the salary cap the way it is, we wouldn't be able to afford 250k.

I do feel we will try to move players out in all honesty, and think a few wont be staying anyway. We have some decent fringe players who I think will look elsewhere, and I'm not convinced both Sua and Oates will stay

Elgey is just more of the same... we don't need yet another running half.

I do feel we will try to move players out in all honesty, and think a few wont be staying anyway. We have some decent fringe players who I think will look elsewhere, and I'm not convinced both Sua and Oates will stay

I hope your right mate

I hope your right mate

They have to do something. Problem is I think if we ended up losing a lot of fringe players it's not going to make much difference to our cap position and probably weaken the squad a fair bit. Even losing Lodge or Sua ( maybe both) wont make a huge dent in it.

Would it be worth approaching the Raiders about Sam Williams? We could do far worse. If we haven't given Dargan/Murphy a game by now I don't think they are getting one.

I've always liked Williams...i haven't watched him too closely, but he always seems to do a job and isn't a complete turnstile in defence.
I don't know what is with Williams but he keeps finding himself back at Canberra and always as the back up... is he allergic to success

I’ve been questioning the way we have been dividing up our salary cap ever since the day I read Corey Parker’s autobiography and realised our best forward at the club who was at the peak of his career was only on $280,000/year for his last contract (quoted from Parker himself) it is also the exact reason why I take media reports of players salaries with a grain of salt as most arm chair critics would have thought Parker would be on around the $500-600,000 mark in our cap just because it sounds about right in regards to his market value which was proven to be way off the mark.

When you consider too that Parker was believed to have been tapped on the shoulder a year early, we would have to replace him with a minimum wage player ($100,000 at the time I believe) would have only freed up around $180,000 in our cap so you would have thought value wise he would have still been worth keeping even if he wasn’t going to be used as an 80 minute player anymore.

Then you hear of all the value bargain buys that we have had on minimum wage to bolster our roster currently and in the last couple of years (Benji, Lodge, Moga, Etc) and one has to think where all this extra cash we are saving on having several players on less than market value is going? The answer is simple. Whilst we might have had guys like Parker, Blair and the minimum wage guys who played a lot of first grade on a bargain, we have counteracted the balance by obviously overpaying a lot of players based on potential or based on their career best form which they’ve never hit since.

I’m not going to lay into Sam Thaiday even though he is the obvious example. Reason why is because after the Parker debacle, I have a sneaky suspicion that Thaiday isn’t actually taking up as big a cap space as has been reported I believe and we may have kept him around a year or 2 longer than we should have because of this value. Parker was low balled because he decided to represent himself and knew he didn’t want to go anywhere. I’d be surprised if Thaiday is even remotely close to being on $350,000 or more in our cap alone. He’d be on a decent third party agreement with his off field status and he would take up some of long serving/marquee payments. All being said though no matter what he is on, we need his spare money to keep some of these young forwards locked up.

The main culprits at the moment is Boyd and Bird.
Boyd’s remaining playing days will decide how Bennett ends his coaching legacy. As of right now it seems he has shown too much faith in Boyd and should have at least negotiated a more reasonable value for him based on what he can currently provide the team. It’s not 2015 anymore. At the moment we have a timid injury prone captain (who is past his best and was even quoted as saying he is thinking about giving the game away because of his hamstrings) on a huge long term contract and it’s a cardinal sin from a business point of view. It just reeks of Bennett trying to look after Boyd financially and will either make or break Wayne by year’s end because the longer Boyd keeps stinking it up, the harder the daggers keep coming. I’d right now offer Boyd to the Titans and redistribute his salary cap space if he continues to regress.

Bird was a panic buy because we lost Hunt and didn’t lure Taylor back. Bird may turn out to be ok but we have wasted a whole year overpaying a luxury player who we didn’t need position wise when we could have been trying to put that money to better use or at least try and lure a game managing halfback.

McGuire is worth whatever he is getting unless it’s $600-$650,000+ and Gillett is only worth his big contract if he comes back from this injury in the same form of previous years. As good as Gillett is, his attacking game has really regressed over the years probably due to him honing his brilliant defensive traits but I believe we’d get better value with some of these young blokes coming through if push came to shove and Gillett becomes a shadow of himself when he makes his comeback. Roberts is worth every cent he is on.

Glenn and Kahu I don’t think are on big money as they’ve always shown loyalty and love the club and they are good squad players. If McCullough replaces Smith at origin level his value for go up but hopefully so too will his performances and hopefully he can hit that next level.

The main points though is we need to rebalance our books and focus on getting a game managing halfback with experience and lock up the next generation of forwards and get rid of some of the underperfoming deadwood living off reputation.

Last edited:
Not sure if mentioned already too but I wouldn’t be against bringing Mbye to the club from a value point of view. It’s no secret the dogs need to free up cap space and Mbye is one of the names being mentioned and is in great touch this year and if from the Sunshine Coast. We’d get him for a absolute bargain whilst the dogs would be stumping up half his salary. Either way Mbye would be an upgrade on current day Boyd at fullback or even an upgrade at Nikorima at 7. Just depends which position you’d put him and in the meantime keep an eye out for a decent No.7 to come on the market. In which case if one did I’d cash Bird in.

1. Roberts
2. Oates
3. Bird
4. Kahu
5. Issako
6. Milford
7. Mbye
8. Lodge
9. McCullough
10. TPJ/McGuire
11. Su’a
12. Gillett
13. McGuire/TPG

14. Nikorima
15. Glenn/Ofahengaue
16. Haas
17. Sims

18. Staggs
19. Fifita
20. Opacic

Mbye is a terrible half and a mid range running fullback.

Not sure if mentioned already too but I wouldn’t be against bringing Mbye to the club from a value point of view. It’s no secret the dogs need to free up cap space and Mbye is one of the names being mentioned and is in great touch this year and if from the Sunshine Coast. We’d get him for a absolute bargain whilst the dogs would be stumping up half his salary. Either way Mbye would be an upgrade on current day Boyd at fullback or even an upgrade at Nikorima at 7. Just depends which position you’d put him and in the meantime keep an eye out for a decent No.7 to come on the market. In which case if one did I’d cash Bird in.
Not sure he'd be an absolute bargain. The reason he's up for grabs is because dogs need to create a bidding war.

Mbye will generate a lot of interest so they're likely to get someone to take him for the majority of his salary.

Also he only really fits into our team as a 6 (his kicking game is poor, but his running is strong).

But that would mean Milf evolves his game into a 7, which could be the broncos long term plan... at which point it becomes who is our next 5/8, which is a much easier question to answer

Not sure he'd be an absolute bargain. The reason he's up for grabs is because dogs need to create a bidding war.

Mbye will generate a lot of interest so they're likely to get someone to take him for the majority of his salary.

Also he only really fits into our team as a 6 (his kicking game is poor, but his running is strong).

But that would mean Milf evolves his game into a 7, which could be the broncos long term plan... at which point it becomes who is our next 5/8, which is a much easier question to answer

Would Mbye attract a lot of interest? He isn't that good in the halves and as a fullback, only really returns well, doesn't really offer much else. He goal kicks but which teams would he fit in as a better half or fullback than someone already there while given the fact he would cost a bit too. I can't really think of any teams where he would offer better value for money than someone already there.

I don't think Mmmbop is the half we need. He is very limited, like Nikorima. But I'm also super against turning Milf into a halfback.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Foordy
  • Fitzy
  • NSW stables
  • mrslong
  • Morkel
  • Harry Sack
  • Financeguy
  • Battler
  • winslow_wong
  • Cavalo
  • Volvo Driver
  • Manofoneway
  • Johnny92
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.