Where is our salary cap going?

Discussion in 'Brisbane Broncos Talk' started by Wolfie, May 12, 2018.

1. Number6

Number6 QCup Player

Of course coach is following the cap tightly. Especially one like Bennett which would have massive sway. Not the Roosters where an international is worth $1.50 and a frozen chicken.

2. Battler

Battler NRL Player

Let's see, out of the blokes that we could have supposedly signed according to Ennis:

Cronk: Sydney exclusive.
    Maloney: used in a swap with Cronulla.
    Green: we were still dealing with Taylor, and the Warriors made him a huge offer that I doubt Wayne would have matched.
    Hunt: not worth the money he's getting at the Drags (for us).
    Pearce: we could have signed and probably should have made an offer. Not sure why Wayne came out and ruled him out publicly.

Moses or Pearce were basically it in terms of potential signings this year for us. Moses, well if you watch Eels games you don't really need further details on how shit he's been.

McKinnon talks the most sense in that piece. When we looked forward to this season the team was winning games with Niko at HB and Taylor was strongly hinting that he was coming back. The tits elected to ruin Taylor's development and their team for the foreseeable future with a stupid offer, and Niko has gone backwards this year despite a full off season. At least we should be able to keep most of our young forwards without an 800k-1.2mil half (Pearce/ Taylor), we do need a Ryley Jacks/ Green type player tho.

3. The True King

The True King BRL Player

Any idea what that "huge" contract offer to Blake Green was? I am not sure I have read anywhere how much he is on but I can't imagine its much more than we could have afforded to pay him.

They already had Johnson, Luke and Mannering tied down on big contracts. They also re-signed Mason Lino and RTS (remember the All Blacks were apparently chasing him so you would think he's on a fair bit).

Meanwhile they threw cash at Tohu, Beale and Blair (600k wasn't it?) while also bringing in Hiku, Paasi, Pulu and Lawton. Not to mention they have their claws on Ah Mau from the Dragons already for next year.

4. Alec

Alec International Rep

Looking back, I think Pearce would have really suited us. We all know he SUCKS in Origin, but he's one of the best halves at NRL level. Plus he plays with a lot of energy, more than most halves, something that I feel like would have brought the most out of our pack. One of the best halves at hitting the 2nd rower too.

Number6 and Porthoz like this.
  5. Reyter

Reyter NYC Player

Should have went all out for Pearce. He is an excellent NRL level player and has been for a number of years. Just unable to successfully make the step up. Normally that would have suited us fine (not getting picked for Origin) but if Smith hadn't retired I think the only good chance for Origin would have been Oates and that is far from a certainty.

Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing. I was critical of the length of Boyd's contract and the signing of Bird but even I didn't guess the former would go downhill so fast and the latter would justifiably be in reserve grade after a few games.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  6. scobie

scobie BRL Player

I wouldn't think that's a situation that's very common though. Usually it's a clause in the players favour.

7. BroncsFan

BroncsFan NRL Player

Reported to be $600k for 3 years.

To me that is pretty excessive for a +30yr old halfback/five-eight.... noting Green was probably most interested in the longevity/security of the contract, which we would also have to match.

8. Morkel

Morkel

When Bennett ruled out Pearce, do we know if Wayne had potentially sounded him out beforehand? The fact that he went to a shit club for the most dollars says to me that Pearce wasn't going to be the right player for us. As much as I think he's a twat, he was legit burned by the Rorters and probably decided to cash in his chips and enjoy a lucrative ease in to retirement.

GKDonkey and Maroon4life like this.
  9. BroncsFan

BroncsFan NRL Player

Pearce also wanted $800k-1m a year for 4 years. That is a shit ton of cap tied up into the halves.

His game would suit milf down to the ground, but we don't play that style anyway ie a first receiver halfback. Which would require a full change to tactics.

FWIW I wish we would adopt that style of play.

I think the plan moving forward is basically Milf as the dominant half, which I'm 100% for and I believe he has shown this year he can do it.

The issue at present is he doesn't even have a competent half standing next to him that can relieve any of the pressure. Literally getting zero help from whoever they chuck in the 7 jersey means he can't be caught with the ball on 4th or 5th, which are the plays he should be looking to exploit the defence.

JAHHW and Maroon4life like this.
  10. Maroon4life

Maroon4life NYC Player

I think you’re right, he was loyal AF to the roosters and loved the club, doubt he would play with the same heart elsewhere but would trade his skills for the most coin.

FWIW I would have loved it if he signed here, has exactly what we need from a #7

Harry Sack likes this.
  11. pagey

pagey NRL Player

Not always

12. Cult3

Cult3 State of Origin Rep

Imagine those forward Pearce would have thrown to Gillett all season. Wouldn’t get away with it in Brisbane

13. winslow_wong

winslow_wong State of Origin Rep

bris
    How many tries would Gillett get as well?

14. Cult3

Cult3 State of Origin Rep

None? Because the ref would blow their whistle whenever he receives the ball after already breaking through the defensive line

15. winslow_wong

winslow_wong State of Origin Rep

bris
    I reckon Pearce would set him up for some nice tries. Even though some would be forward

16. 007

007 QCup Player

Our Key mistake was signing Bird for 600-700K a season. We don't exactly need him in our forward pack and hes tied up a lot of dollars. Tommy is not a world beater at centre i know, but Bird thus far has not delivered much better. I think also the biggest issue was grabbing him early left us with no chips to bargain with as other managers knew we have little dollars left.

17. johnny plath

johnny plath NYC Player

I don't see how 200k is excessive if you see him in your strongest starting team. Minimum salary now is 100k, and I don't think that any player that is in your full strength top 17 should be on minimum wage, imo thats for your depth players, probably your bottom 8 -10 of your top 30. To pay Green 100k over minimum is no way excessive.

18. pagey

pagey NRL Player

Id say that is a year not over 3.
    Maybe we should have a cracl at kane elgey, wouldn't comand big $$ and is more a halfback than niko.

19. broncos4life

broncos4life International Rep

It's not 600k over 3 years, it's 600k per year for 3 years.

20. BroncsFan

BroncsFan NRL Player

$600k per year so $1.8m over 3