Where is our salary cap going?

Would be fascinating to see the books. All speculation. What we do know is no matter what is spent above minimum wage on Boyd, Bird, Thaiday, Sims, KNik, Kahu (not his fault but how many times does he need to get injured playing off the wing before staff realise) has been wasted so far this season. Injuries haven’t helped pre season and during but aside from TPJ, Lodge, Sua, Maybe Glenn and on his day Roberts have earned their likely value this year. Agree suggests not just the players being the issue if so many underperforming.

If sam’s getting more than it costs to feed him at the lunch time training BBQ we’re getting duped.
The trouble is, it seems his salary is directly proportional to the amount needed to sustain what you’ve suggested.

I mean, have you not seen his guts hanging out of the Spanx shirt he wears underneath his jersey?

Seeing George Rose on the field after the game last night was like looking 2 years into the future for Thaiday.

Honestly, the bloke has never had a fit looking physique, but it seems to be getting worse.

The trouble is, it seems his salary is directly proportional to the amount needed to sustain what you’ve suggested.

I mean, have you not seen his guts hanging out of the Spanx shirt he wears underneath his jersey?

Seeing George Rose on the field after the game last night was like looking 2 years into the future for Thaiday.

Honestly, the bloke has never had a fit looking physique, but it seems to be getting worse.

Seems to be footballers think when they are near retirement they have been around for so long and let themselves go. Thaiday is only what 33 years old? Surely he can still look after himself for a little longer yet.

Our Cap is going out the door on poor choices.

In Bellamy land Boyd would be worth no more than 400, Bird 500 until prove more and we wouldn't be trotting out lame "ill stick with Kodi at 7 because i promised him the spot last year".

It appears barring our recent forward park blood, we are on a dud streak of purchases and contract choices. Wayne?

I know we have a fair chunk of cap tied up with a few players that aren't performing at the moment but I don't blame this on our current situation. I believe there is a culture problem and I'm not so sure about the coaching. Same problems now for a 3rd straight season... Bird didn't make the team underperform in 2016 or 17.
I'll agree Wayne fucked up with the halves situation though he'll never admit it but the team itself on paper is a cracking side and should be doing better.
The only consistent thing about this side for the past few seasons is it's inconsistent and incoherent playing style. We never know which team is going to turn up. Wayne didn't miss 50 tackles the other night, I'm not going to say it's the coaches fault we lost but he is the guy who needs to find out what the **** is going on.

I think he's hoping they snap out of it. Bizarre choices otherwise.

Nearly every player we have bought lately has been shit. Maybe the problem isn't the players.

Who other than Bird?

Roberts, TPJ, Milf, Lodge have all been phenomenal. Sims has been fine and isn’t on any money, and Boyd was great for us during most of his latest stint.

I know we have a fair chunk of cap tied up with a few players that aren't performing at the moment but I don't blame this on our current situation. I believe there is a culture problem and I'm not so sure about the coaching. Same problems now for a 3rd straight season... Bird didn't make the team underperform in 2016 or 17.
I'll agree Wayne fucked up with the halves situation though he'll never admit it but the team itself on paper is a cracking side and should be doing better.
The only consistent thing about this side for the past few seasons is it's inconsistent and incoherent playing style. We never know which team is going to turn up. Wayne didn't miss 50 tackles the other night, I'm not going to say it's the coaches fault we lost but he is the guy who needs to find out what the **** is going on.
See, I would blame him. He keeps swapping peoples positions around. Nikorima is a swinging door in defence, but he had roberts on the left, then moved him back to the right, moved milford from left tot he right, moved jack bird from right centre to 5/8th and then put opacic on at left centre. All these changes ruin any chance of developing combinations in attack or defence. He has lost the plot and is starting to panic.

Who other than Bird?

Roberts, TPJ, Milf, Lodge have all been phenomenal. Sims has been fine and isn’t on any money, and Boyd was great for us during most of his latest stint.

Phenomenal ??? Roberts & milf have been hot & cold . Tpj has slowly come good but that was always going to be the way , and lodge has been strong but none have been phenomenal.

Who other than Bird?

I'm thinking back to your Barbas, Kennedys, Clintons etc. All were above average to very good players prior, yet were total spuds in a Broncos jersey. And in the case of Barba, was great again after leaving the Broncos. More recently, Benji looks twice as good this year as he did last year. There's lots of variables, but we seem to either A) buy vastly overrated players or B) provide good players with the wrong environment (change positions, bulk them up, misuse them) for them to succeed.

Roberts is one of our better players, yet is probably performing at half of what he is capable of due mainly to the way we use him. We keep playing an injured Bird instead of letting him recover, and seemingly have no idea how he fits into our team. Milford looks more like a capable half every game, but his job gets harder and harder due to the mess that is the other half position. While his kicking has improved out of site, I bet every Broncos fan would rather see him tearing teams apart through speed and skill than putting in some nice grubbers.

I'm thinking back to your Barbas, Kennedys, Clintons etc. All were above average to very good players prior, yet were total spuds in a Broncos jersey. And in the case of Barba, was great again after leaving the Broncos. More recently, Benji looks twice as good this year as he did last year. There's lots of variables, but we seem to either A) buy vastly overrated players or B) provide good players with the wrong environment (change positions, bulk them up, misuse them) for them to succeed.

Roberts is one of our better players, yet is probably performing at half of what he is capable of due mainly to the way we use him. We keep playing an injured Bird instead of letting him recover, and seemingly have no idea how he fits into our team. Milford looks more like a capable half every game, but his job gets harder and harder due to the mess that is the other half position. While his kicking has improved out of site, I bet every Broncos fan would rather see him tearing teams apart through speed and skill than putting in some nice grubbers.

I don’t think you can blame the current staff for the Anthony Griffin error blunders.

Milford is a very good player and is doing his job. As is Roberts. Both would have an easier time if we had a decent halfback but it doesn’t take away from how well they are playing despite it. Marshall was very good while at the broncos and I think his current form has a lot to thank his time at the broncos for.

Bird is stinking it up though, no argument from me there.

I don’t think you can blame the current staff for the Anthony Griffin error blunders.

Milford is a very good player and is doing his job. As is Roberts. Both would have an easier time if we had a decent halfback but it doesn’t take away from how well they are playing despite it. Marshall was very good while at the broncos and I think his current form has a lot to thank his time at the broncos for.

Bird is stinking it up though, no argument from me there.

To be fair to Hook, Milf was a coup from his era. He is doing a very good job with a decimated Panthers side now, would be very interested on his views of the current monstrosity masquerading as the Broncos.

See, I would blame him. He keeps swapping peoples positions around. Nikorima is a swinging door in defence, but he had roberts on the left, then moved him back to the right, moved milford from left tot he right, moved jack bird from right centre to 5/8th and then put opacic on at left centre. All these changes ruin any chance of developing combinations in attack or defence. He has lost the plot and is starting to panic.
Agreed, this isn't good enough from a world class coach. But as for the topic of this thread, apart from the halves debacle I don't see a problem with how he has spent the funds. Bird is a great player, happy we put him on the books but how he is being managed is shiting me. How the **** can the coach let him pack on the kgs like he has? And if he isn't ready then **** him off until he is. And the Boyd deal could probably have gone either way, as he is a great player, an international, origin star, captain etc. He's playing like a busted arse but without a crystal ball Wayne could have quite easily looked golden if he was playing the house down, which he is capable of doing. Like you mentioned the players shifting all over the park is killing any possible combinations and momentum. And it does scream panic.
People bag out Bennett ball, but it is simple and mechanical almost in its reliability. Thing is I'm not seeing this anymore, I don't know what the **** I've been watching for the past couple of seasons but when I think about 'Bennett Ball' I think about a side that know their roles and that push to make those 1%.

Just on the Bird weight thing - imagine Bellamy with him? He made Kasiano look trim as **** after one off season (which, yes, Bird didn't get via injury) - do you think Bellamy would put up with him looking like he does?

Then again, would Bird even survive under someone like Bellamy?

Active Now

• cento
  • Broncosgirl
  • mitch222
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Santa
  • Strop
  • Brocko
  • Lurker
  • Xzei
  • Culhwch
  • Mustafur
  • Fozz
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • broncos4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.