Where to From Here? Let's Plan for 2021...er...2025

I do hope, however, Kev will bring in Neil Henry purely for that support around game tactics etc for which Henry is very highly regarded. It is the man management skills that have let Neil down a bit in the past I believe from reports at the time. But Kev has that side of things covered so all good there.

Hayne is what brought Henry down ... he had the Titans building nicely, before the decision to bring Hayne back from the USA

Last edited:
Hayne is what brought Henry down ... he had the Titans building nicely, before the decision to bring Hayne back from the USA

Yeah and I’m not sure but I don’t think it was even his decision to bring Hayne to the club.
Think he might be alright for the broncs.

Yeah and I’m not sure but I don’t think it was even his decision to bring Hayne to the club.
Think he might be alright for the broncs.

I think you're right.

IIRC, it was more a PR move from their management, rather than a decision about the value he would add to the team

I think you're right.

IIRC, it was more a PR move from their management, rather than a decision about the value he would add to the team

You recall correctly. Would've been interesting to see how Henry went and I was a fan at the time because we had't played finals in yonks, but retrospectively, I still reckon a lot of games were won on enthusiasm and Ash's short kicking game rather than defensive or attacking structure. Our ad lib footy seemed to get us over the line a lot as well. Maybe my memory is shot but I recall a lot more kicks to centre/wing rather than set plays. Legitimately like to hear someones thoughts on where Henry's tactician reputation comes from as I would be interested to see what he brings to the Broncos if signed.

You recall correctly. Would've been interesting to see how Henry went and I was a fan at the time because we had't played finals in yonks, but retrospectively, I still reckon a lot of games were won on enthusiasm and Ash's short kicking game rather than defensive or attacking structure. Our ad lib footy seemed to get us over the line a lot as well. Maybe my memory is shot but I recall a lot more kicks to centre/wing rather than set plays. Legitimately like to hear someones thoughts on where Henry's tactician reputation comes from as I would be interested to see what he brings to the Broncos if signed.

Comes from his time as an assistant to Mal for QLD.

Mal was the figurehead/motivation.

game plans / tactics came from Henry (and Hagan before him)

Correct except I believe Henry was assistant from 2006 - 2009, Hagan came back in after Henry left.

To me he was the tactician that put Qld on the path and by 2010 the team was picking itself and the spine was becoming well established

Last edited:
I do hope, however, Kev will bring in Neil Henry purely for that support around game tactics etc for which Henry is very highly regarded. It is the man management skills that have let Neil down a bit in the past I believe from reports at the time. But Kev has that side of things covered so all good there.
The only thing I would say about this is that Henry was Cartwright's assistant and when Cartwright got the sack Henry took over.

I can't recall how it all played out and whether Cartwright was sacked due to underperforming... @The Don may be able to fill us in.

If there's any animosity between Cartwright and Henry then we may not see Henry come in... alternatively if Henry and Cartwright worked well and Cartwright leaving was a shock to both, then they may have a great working relationship together

My question was sincere and genuine and this is the smart arse response I get?

Lol

I wasn't aware he was an assistant at the cows when they beat us in the GF, as well as an assistant with Ricky at the Roosters.

It's a good thing he's been at clubs and had success.
Smart arse response ?

Cheers, think I just read he quit in 2010 to focus on Cowboys and seems to get a lot of credit in 2007, so I wouldn't have had much knowledge of the game back then. Definitely not enough to credibly judge coaching staff. Without trying to take a swipe though, I'd argue State of Origin tactics with the quality of spine would have to be a lot easier than what he'd be walking into at the Broncos. Then again the same could be said about defence at that level I guess.

The only thing I would say about this is that Henry was Cartwright's assistant and when Cartwright got the sack Henry took over.

I can't recall how it all played out and whether Cartwright was sacked due to underperforming... @The Don may be able to fill us in.

If there's any animosity between Cartwright and Henry then we may not see Henry come in... alternatively if Henry and Cartwright worked well and Cartwright leaving was a shock to both, then they may have a great working relationship together

Don't recall any animosity? Cartwright resigned for underperforming. Think we were into our 4/5th year not in the finals. IIRC, most seemed to believe he'd become a bit Green like in that he was set in his ways which weren't working. Whether or not that ties into my point above about not seeing as much of the tactician that I'm told Henry is, I'm not sure. Been following the titans since inception but didn't read as much into the game back then I am afraid.

I think a few posters have mooted Broncos target AJ Brimson; now while I think his best football is still ahead of him, must admit such a move would be most counter-productive from a Titans POV...

But, looking at our fullback stocks he'd be a walk-in starter...

AJ any relation to the Brimson we had on our books in the u20s? I think it was Will.

Listening to Kalyn Ponga talk about what he does on Fox at the moment. He might not be the player he was hyped up to be but **** he should really be a Bronco. We need to get back to being the club that these young guys want to play for.

Listening to Kalyn Ponga talk about what he does on Fox at the moment. He might not be the player he was hyped up to be but **** he should really be a Bronco. We need to get back to being the club that these young guys want to play for.

He's still got all the tools to be that player. He's shown he's got an amazing short and long pass and a great running game. I hope he'll still reach his potential and end up better than Slater. I dunno why he's stopped hopping around though.

I know its been said before but as soon as November 1 hits I'd be on the phone to Sua to get him back for 2022. He's just the enforcer we need and can replace Glenn in the second row when he moves on. I know he's a true Brisbane boy and has all his family here so shouldn't be hard to entice back.

Throw in the Rabbits won't have the Wayne factor in 2022 either. He'll be 24 and hitting his peak, probably worth around 500-600k a season by then with some origin experience.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Manifesto
  • Galah
  • Broncorob
  • Lurker
  • bb_gun
  • Battler
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • GCBRONCO
  • broncos4life
  • Wild Horse
  • Brocko
  • pagey
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • kman
  • Scdeac
  • winslow_wong
  • Johnny92
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.