Where will the Broncos finish?

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Now Bronc-googles off as much as possible people.

I expect us to finish 7th. Why? Well a new coach plus a lack of experience and depth in the front row is the main reason. The backline looks terrific and compares to any in the league but without a decent platform we won't be able to simply outscore teams. Lockyer's fitness is an obvious concern as well and if he doesn't manage himself well again we could be in for our roughest year in a long while.

Top 4. All depends on who plays 9 the most and their performance.
We've got an awesome backrow, it's the front rowers that concern me, but if Kenny can set an example in training and games that Clinton, Tayler etc follow we will be extremely strong.

Agree. I think Broncos 6-9 is the most likely scenario, hopefully not 9!

I'm feeling pretty optimistic about our chances at the moment.

The forwards are the concern but I reckon they'll be pretty motivated to do well. Clinton and Sims will be looking to make up for ordinary first years, Setu and Te'o are only on one year deals so they'll be looking to impress and guys like Thaiday, Parker and Kenny will want to lead. Consistancy will be a problem though.

5th to 8th I reckon atm.

I don't see any reason to stop us finishing top 5.

I think realistically we will finish between 8th and 4th, I easily see us in the major semi's.

Whilst our pack is untested together; it still has Clinton, Sims, Kenny, Thaiday. All of who (barring Kenny) would have had disappointing seasons from their own personal viewpoints. If Thaiday can simply retain the form he had at the start of the season and in the finals, Clinton shows us what we have only seen (which were increasingly more as the season went on) glimpses of and Sims steps up, then it will be easy for the likes of Te'o and Setu to follow suit. Not to mention that Gorrell has proved with the Dragons he can get a pack moving and if the whiz-kid McCullough is what people say he is, he should take little time before he is demanding metres from his pack as well.

Add to this mix a dynamic and inspiring forward coach who never cut corners in his own career and would expect nothing less from his pack and I think they will be able to hold their own.

In reality; besides Warriors, Bulldogs, Dragons and Storm there is no other pack in the comp that our boys can't roll over. And that's without watching them grow together.

For mine, the biggest recruitment and best move that Ivan (not YOUR mate Bruno) has made, is to surround himself with a few passionate former greats. These "co-coaches" are who are going to pull us through the next 2 seasons IMO. I don't know about you, but I reckon if Webcke was my coach and saw me not giving 100%, I’d be scared because I reckon he'd let me know very fucking quickly. As for the backs, we have Lockyer still and the second greatest player of all time is back on the training paddock.

Therefore our younger backs are training and getting advice from 2 of the greatest players to ever lace a boot and our pack is being run by arguably the toughest and best forward I've seen. Good things in 09, maybe not the trophy, but good things.

All things going well (ie. a few forwards stepping up to the plate, no serious injuries to our stars), there's no reason why we can't win the minor premiership. Best 1-7 I've seen in the last decade.

Being realistic, though, I can say anywhere from 3-10. Our forward pack remains the biggest question, easily. If a couple of the more senior forwards are out through injury or suspension, I fear we could really struggle.

However, all we really need for them is good momentum and few mistakes or silly penalties. If they can hold onto the ball, run decent lines and get us quick play the balls, our halves and backline should do the rest.

Put it this way, I'll be surprised with a finish better than fourth or worse than tenth. Predicting sixth.

I'm surprisingly confident heading into this season.

As mentioned, our forward pack could really decide how our season ends up. If they are all on form, then it's a pretty awesome forward pack to have. We've been crying out for backrowers like Lagi Setu and Ben Te'o for a while now.

Combine that with players like Thaiday, Sims and Parker. Well if they're all firing we have a very strong pack. Then there's the likes of Clinton and Kenny who will be doing the hard yards. I really expect Clinton to improve this year, could be like a new signing. All else fails, we can chuck in Dave Taylor to run straight through everyone! :mrgreen:

Also, it'll be interesting to see how Henjak's coaching differs from Bennett's. Will he bring a fresh new approach and game plan, or stick to the tried and tested methods of his predecessor?

Even if our forward pack is playing dodgy i will always hold hope of a result beause you can't write off a backline containing Hunt, Hodges, Folau, Lockyer and Wallace. Best backline in the comp IMO.

I reckon we'll finished anywhere between third and seventh.

It all depends on injuries to our front row stocks. if they remain relatively injury free i believe we are a top 4 side. if we start to get some injuries there i think we will finish in the region of 4-8

It would have been nice to get another prop, someone with a little bit of experience and who hits hard for the whole game. If we had that I'd fancy our chances of a top 4 finish alot better, but without alot of depth in the front row I see us finishing 5th or 6th. We have the best backline in the competition IMO, surely with a half decent pack as well we should have a decent shot at the title, but I'm not holding my breath.

We will be in the bottom half of the 8 again I think, make it to the last 4 then probably get beaten.

Our front row stocks are pretty thin, if they can all play well and we dont get any major injuries we could well challenge for a top 4 position and the premiership as a whole.

Im optimistic, not confident :-D

QUEENSLANDER said:
mick! said:
Best 1-7 I've seen in the last decade.

You have got to be farking joking right?

I would assume Mick is referring to the best Broncos 1-7 in the last decade.

Reasonably big call given the days of Lockyer, Tuqiri and Sailor at the back - but then, in those days we had shithouse halves.

QUEENSLANDER said:
mick! said:
Best 1-7 I've seen in the last decade.

You have got to be farking joking right?

I would take this one before ours

1. O'Davis
2. Tahu
3. M.Gidley
4. M.Hughes
5. MacDougall
6. M.Johns
7. A.Johns

From about 2000, they lost M.Johns after this but that backline is better than ours.

If we are talking just Broncos backlines then it isn't far away from the best we have had considering some of the halves combo's we have had.

Active Now

• theshed
  • Fatboy
  • Rambstien
  • bb_gun
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Swordfish
  • Fitzy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Dash
  • Harry Sack
  • Skathen
  • Financeguy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.