Who are the most overrated players out the the current Broncos squad?

I would expect him to produce a good standard most weeks. That's what the good players do and he has the ability to do it. He is 24 now with over 70 games in the NRL under his belt. He needs to perform consistently to a higher level of performance and that's why I think he is overrated. He just doesn't do it. That plus he is a liability with his discipline.
[automerge]1590538224[/automerge]
Totally agree with your summation of him, I'm just saying I'd think most Broncos fans would agree with that summation too - Gun on his day, but far too inconsistent and as you said, he's a liability with suspensions - so if most fans accept that's the reality of him, then I'm not sure that would qualify him as overrated as such - more like not living up to his potential?

If I'm talking overrated I'm thinking more of a guy like Shaun Johnson, who most Kiwis and Warriors fans would laud, but in reality he's a fairly ineffective player at getting good results overall.

Staggs was never on the radar to play first grade? When he was 15 And winning Wellington first grade titles in group 11 every club in the NRL was sniffing around Wellington trying to get him and it was a huge get when Brisbane signed him. Was always only a matter of when and not if when it came to him in first grade.
seen him as a youngster and knew he was special from his first touch. Given his location, history and situation....this dude earned whatever stripes he has. Gives 200% every.single .time

As an outsider, I would say Milford, he's ok but IMO hasn't lived up to his rep
Milford would have been correct a couple of years ago. He’s been mostly mediocre for long enough now that I’d say most fans will have stopped overrating him or even rating him at all.

None of our players are overrated.

They all copped shit after the last Eels' game. We've reset since then, and all who played - except Macca (who's not our problem, anymore) - redeemed themselves sufficiently according to our expectations of a Broncos player.

TPJ is roundly rated as a superstar liability (he lived up to that). Offa isn't highly rated by anyone here, so he's potentially underrated. Lodge is rated about right: above average, borderline Origin rep. Carrigan seemed overrated until the preseason, but many of us - including me - would prefer he remains captain. Boyd could not be rated lower. Bird is not on anyone's rating radar. Turpin, if anything, is somewhat underrated, in my opinion.

The only candidate I could tentatively put forward is Glenn, but I think everyone has a realistic view of his worth as a veteran. I don't think anyone is expecting him to walk off with a man of the match award. But we all like him. He doesn't have a lot to prove.

Nope, I'm sticking with none are overrated. I'm happy with our squad right now. Very happy.

Solid post here. I agree. TPJ use to be highly rated by people such as myself and every week we would hope he had a good game as he CAN be devastating, but we've all come to realise that it's not very common so have lowered our expectations of him.

With Turps, he came in so strong and showed how good it was to have a quick player from dummy half. I am hoping he becomes similar to Brandon Smith and is just a bit crazy in the way he plays (his hair is crazy already)

Over paid? I guess so. Overrated? Hardly.
He's widely maligned and never gets the recognition he deserves.
To be overpaid someone who wrote the cheques obviously had to overrate his abilities in the first place. It would be illogical to suggest otherwise.

To be overpaid someone who wrote the cheques obviously had to overrate his abilities in the first place. It would be illogical to suggest otherwise.
Salary obviously isn't the only determining factor. To suggest it is would be illogical.

Salary obviously isn't the only determining factor. To suggest it is would be illogical.
It is without question the most concrete evidence of how a player is 'rated' or perceived by people who really matter.

If you're overpaid, you've quite clearly been overrated.

Last edited:
It is without question the most concrete evidence of how a player is 'rated' or perceived by people who really matter.

If you're overpaid, you've quite clearly been overrated.
He was overrated when his salary was decided. That doesn't mean he is still overrated now after people have had a larger sample size to determine this.

He was overrated when his salary was decided. That doesn't mean he is still overrated now after people have had a larger sample size to determine this.
Yep, I actually completely agree.

I should be clear, I don't think Milford is really overrated anymore, because I think most people stopped rating him a while ago now.

When opposition Coaches are lining up to play the Broncos, I very much doubt they're being kept awake at night by the prospect of coming up against Anthony Miilford.

The same could probably be said of all our spine players. Our small moments of success we've enjoyed in the last few seasons have been achieved in spite of our spine, not because of it.

Last edited:
Scored a great try vs Souths, he does appear to be on the up with some proper coaching now. For a few years there he reminded me of Gasnier- all he had was a step and everyone knew it.

Scored a great try vs Souths, he does appear to be on the up with some proper coaching now. For a few years there he reminded me of Gasnier- all he had was a step and everyone knew it.
For the sort of money Milford earns, I want a guy who turns up basically every week like the other guys earning similar pay packets. He hasn't been that player for a while now and it remains to be seen if he can ever get back to that level again.

Active Now

• bazza
  • Lurker
  • KateBroncos1812
  • johnny plath
  • BroncosAlways
  • Fozz
  • levikaden
  • Xzei
  • Porthoz
  • FACTHUNT
  • bb_gun
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  • Big Del
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.