Who are the most overrated players out the the current Broncos squad?

Is this the topic to pencil in who to target in Macca's place? Do we definitely nominate two players so we have Boyd's replacement locked in early?

Is this the topic to pencil in who to target in Macca's place? Do we definitely nominate two players so we have Boyd's replacement locked in early?
If it tickles you. Say what you like 😉

Outside BHQ it's Offa and Boyd.
Within, maybe carrigan (will be great but just good ATM)

Offa and this might cause some uproar but Staggs. Staggs has shown us glimpses of what he can do but hasn't shown us enough for the praise he has received. His defence still needs work and reading plays.

Offa and this might cause some uproar but Staggs. Staggs has shown us glimpses of what he can do but hasn't shown us enough for the praise he has received. His defence still needs work and reading plays.
Give him time. His career is only 20+ games old. This kid is something else. Considering that he was never ever on the radar to ever play first grade, his rise should be applauded. We ain't seen nothin' yet.

Give him time. His career is only 20+ games old. This kid is something else. Considering that he was never ever on the radar to ever play first grade, his rise should be applauded. We ain't seen nothin' yet.
Staggs was never on the radar to play first grade? When he was 15 And winning Wellington first grade titles in group 11 every club in the NRL was sniffing around Wellington trying to get him and it was a huge get when Brisbane signed him. Was always only a matter of when and not if when it came to him in first grade.

Staggs was never on the radar to play first grade? When he was 15 And winning Wellington first grade titles in group 11 every club in the NRL was sniffing around Wellington trying to get him and it was a huge get when Brisbane signed him. Was always only a matter of when and not if when it came to him in first grade.
Probably should have said "playing regular first grade so soon". He was well down the pecking order until he had a massive preseason in 2018. Since then, he has excelled.

Turpin and TPJ. Both have a lot to of prove.

Turpin and Glenn
Corey Oates and Jake Turpin(don't get me wrong I think his a good player, but I see him as a short term answer to a longterm question).
Easy - Turpin.

233A647D 7DC0 4322 8CFC E0A021DEC208

Last edited:

He didn't go under the radar.

He went from Colts- two tries on debut to ISC- two tries on debut by round three and scored 46 points in his first three games of ISC and got centre of the year only playing 14 games for Dolphins.

That ISC debut included four goals and scoring two tries to get Dolphins from 10 points down to win by 16.

He was playing NRL two months later.

I don't know if I'd consider TPJ overrated. I think particularly recently most Broncos fans are pretty realistic about his abilities and his limitations and areas of opportunity. At his best he's devastating, but at his worst he's also, well... devastating, but in a different sense.

The only way he could be overrated was if you were expecting him to play at his best level every week, because it should be clear to everyone by now that he's not that sort of player yet. Not even close.

None of our players are overrated.

They all copped shit after the last Eels' game. We've reset since then, and all who played - except Macca (who's not our problem, anymore) - redeemed themselves sufficiently according to our expectations of a Broncos player.

TPJ is roundly rated as a superstar liability (he lived up to that). Offa isn't highly rated by anyone here, so he's potentially underrated. Lodge is rated about right: above average, borderline Origin rep. Carrigan seemed overrated until the preseason, but many of us - including me - would prefer he remains captain. Boyd could not be rated lower. Bird is not on anyone's rating radar. Turpin, if anything, is somewhat underrated, in my opinion.

The only candidate I could tentatively put forward is Glenn, but I think everyone has a realistic view of his worth as a veteran. I don't think anyone is expecting him to walk off with a man of the match award. But we all like him. He doesn't have a lot to prove.

Nope, I'm sticking with none are overrated. I'm happy with our squad right now. Very happy.

Last edited:
I don't know if I'd consider TPJ overrated. I think particularly recently most Broncos fans are pretty realistic about his abilities and his limitations and areas of opportunity. At his best he's devastating, but at his worst he's also, well... devastating, but in a different sense.

The only way he could be overrated was if you were expecting him to play at his best level every week, because it should be clear to everyone by now that he's not that sort of player yet. Not even close.

I would expect him to produce a good standard most weeks. That's what the good players do and he has the ability to do it. He is 24 now with over 70 games in the NRL under his belt. He needs to perform consistently to a higher level of performance and that's why I think he is overrated. He just doesn't do it. That plus he is a liability with his discipline.
[automerge]1590538224[/automerge]
So he played less games in total than he has for the NRL. That’s kinda coming out of nowhere to some degree.

I think it's more if you go under the radar you are a bit of an unknown. Staggs has always had big wraps on him so his success isn't exactly surprising. He didn't really come out of nowhere.

Last edited:

Active Now

• broncoscope
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Jedhead
  • theshed
  • Sproj
  • Manofoneway
  • broncs30
  • Socnorb
  • bert_lifts
  • Fozz
  • Porthoz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Maroon4life
  • Skyblues87
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.