VOTE Who is the better player? Tallis v Gillett.

Who is the better Second-rower?

• Gorden Tallis

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • Matt Gillett

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters
theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Who do you think is the better player and why?

Only base the decision on playing ability and try to ignore all Tallis' post-career mud slinging.

Tallis was by far the most devastating running second rower. His aggression and determination often got him to places that his skill level never would. I loved him as a player can't stand his personality these days. Gillett is an absolute beast defender. His running game has in some ways been put on the back burner. All in all I actually rate them as our best. Third and fourth would be Thorn and Thaiday. Tallis is number one.

Tallis.

He was a more devastating second rower, he had all of the things you want in a forward.

However, Gillett has the ball skills over him. But the problem is, Gillett has shown very little of it because of how he has been used by the coaches. He is wasted on the edge.

I'll vote a few years from now. At this moment, Tallis has it...

lol after the feedback I copped in the other thread I was thinking about posting next you guys will be telling me that gillett is more dangerous then Tallis, after all tallis is on the outs with wb.

Then this thread pops up.

A bit of an unfair comparison as Tallis is one of the better second rowers to ever play the game. Attacking teams would avoid him because of his aggression and ability to flatten someone. He would also regularly find a gap in the defensive line and some of his long range tries are legendary. Gillo still has time to stake his claim but the two players don't really compare IMO.

Gillett' career is not even close to finished yet, this thread is too early. That said, he wouldn't look out of place on the bench in discussions about our best ever 17 but still probably wouldn't make it yet. Tallis is an automatic selection in our best ever starting side.

lol after the feedback I copped in the other thread I was thinking about posting next you guys will be telling me that gillett is more dangerous then Tallis, after all tallis is on the outs with wb.

Then this thread pops up.

I didn't see whatever thread youre talking about. For the record I think at this point Tallis is still clearly te front runner but I was curious what other people thought.

Gillett' career is not even close to finished yet, this thread is too early. That said, he wouldn't look out of place on the bench in discussions about our best ever 17 but still probably wouldn't make it yet. Tallis is an automatic selection in our best ever starting side.
I don't know... I think at this stage I would have Gillett on the right with Tallis on the left, although Thorn might have a say about that.

I don't know... I think at this stage I would have Gillett on the right with Tallis on the left, although Thorn might have a say about that.

I know Thaiday has slowed down a lot but he was such a gun at his peak too. Then there was Carroll.

I know Thaiday has slowed down a lot but he was such a gun at his peak too. Then there was Carroll.
Carroll was left as well, and Tallis has him covered. As to Thaiday, I think Gillett is already well ahead...

I don't remember tallis doing anywhere near the tackling of gillet, and he didn't always play 80 minutes. If gillet had Lockyer or Langer inside him right bow you would probably see just how good he is in attack but he doesnt so he has been stilted a bit. I think he is vitally important to our defence and is brilliant at pulling off cover tackles when our halves inevitably miss one, but if we ever get a good defensive half (like Peter Wallace, but I'm not recommending chasing him), he could be moved to lock and I'm sure he would tear a defence apart. I don't see it ever happening though.

Our best back row is probably something like:

11. Thorn
12. Tallis
13. Carroll

14. Gillett
15. Thaiday
I would agree with this. Some people would opt for Parker but for mine Carroll owns the 13.

Has to be Tallis. He may not have been a defensive workhorse but he quite often led the defensive line with great line speed.

There were numerous times following a Lockyer kick where he would lead the defense and completely pummel the opposition to keep them within their 10m line. He just made the rest of team HAVE to follow him with his leadership in those situations.

Matty G is struggling with his offense which may be somewhat attributed to the halves. However, he's not exactly running at full flight on a good line to warrant the ball in the first place.

The lines he runs are good but as a decoy or hole runner he doesn't seem to show that full all out sprint that a Cordner does to put the defense in two minds. The speed he runs at allows the defense to adjust just enough to stop him more often than not

I would agree with this. Some people would opt for Parker but for mine Carroll owns the 13.

actually completely forgot about Parker lol ... he would definitely be in the discussion for the best lock in our history

Active Now

• mitch222
  • broncoscope
  • Waynesaurus
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • johnny plath
  • RolledOates
  • kman
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Foordy
  • upthebroncs
  • YeahNahMate
  • Redfern_1980
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Hurrijo
  • winslow_wong
  • Lurker
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.